17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 8:26 AM by Magnbri

Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2

Gary-Pa

I recently updated my camera raw in Photoshop CS5 (Win 7 64 bit) to 6.2. I noticed this evening that my camera profiles are missing. Even if I open a raw file that I had previously edited. The only option under camera profiles is "Matrix". I used to have portrait, landscape...etc. etc.

I would go back to 6.1 but am unable to go back...not sure how. It just fails. Any suggestions? Tried resetting to camera raw defaults...didn't change anything.

• 1. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Are you sure you are opening a raw file and not a tiff or jpeg? What camera?

• 2. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
            Gary-Pa Level 1

Thanks Jeff. Good question. Yes, I'm sure. I'm using a Canon EOS 7D. It doesn't seem to matter though. I went back to my 50D, 40D and 20D raw files and they are not there. The only thing different with them is, instead of Matrix as the only option, ACR 4.6 is my only option. Strange.

• 3. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're on Windows, try downloading and re-running the ACR 6.2 updater again. 

You will find it linked from http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

If it says things are up-to-date, already, then try downloading the ZIP version of the ACR 6.2 update for Elements--you will find the PSE-specific link near the top of the main ACR update page, and inside the ZIP is a CameraProfiles.exe you can run that should re-install the camera=profiles.  If the lens profiles are missing as well, which they could be because they are in an adjacent directory to the Camera profiles, then I'm less sure what to tell you because the PSE update doesn't contain the lens profiles for some reason.

• 4. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                Gary-Pa Level 1

The second part of your answer did it. The first download said up to date...I tried that yesterday before I wrote. Never would have known about the elements download and camera profiles. It loaded them immediately. Not sure why I lost them in the first place. The lens profiles were always there.

Thank you Jeff for your time and knowledge!

• 5. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                  quenton8 Level 2

Well - I tried this.  I now have a file in

...\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

date-stamped about when I ran the .exe

Its a single file named "index.dat", about 125K,

nothing else??

• 6. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

quenton8 wrote:

Well - I tried this.  I now have a file in

...\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

date-stamped about when I ran the .exe

Then you didn't successfully run the installer because you didn't get the profiles installed. There should be two separate folders; Adobe Standard and Camera folders. Inside each should be a bunch of individual profiles.

Since you didn't indicate what version of Camera Raw you installed, what version of Photoshop you are running or what OS you have, it's pretty tough to give any sort of troubleshooting advice.

• 7. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                      quenton8 Level 2

After some more research, it appears that ACR from PSE(9) does not support the

camera and lens profiles -- in which case, why are the shipped with the PSE version

of ACR 6.2??

In fact the profiles were installed -- they go in the All-Users directories, not the

personal directory -- so that worked.

• 8. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                        Level 4

quenton8 wrote:

After some more research, it appears that ACR from PSE(9) does not support the

camera and lens profiles…

I have always believed that ACR is very limited in Elements, but this poster (stewch) seemed to tell us that is not the case in Elements 9:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3204400#3204400

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 9. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                          quenton8 Level 2

Wish that were true

What I said and found was that the camera/lens profiles are NOT supported

for PSEx -- I just found it strange that they are part of the special PSE

download of ACR 6.2 -- why include them if you cannot use them??

One more reason to go from PSE9 to CSx next time around!!

• 10. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                            stewch Level 1

Cross-post alert!

Dennis, the "camera profiles"  under the Camera Calibration tab are there in PSE9, just as in PSE8.  I assume you are talking about the lens-specific profiles of ACR 6.n --I agree that is not accessible.  And the noise reduction seems to be the new Process 2010, but without the detail sliders that CS5 users have.

I assume the two versions of ACR are drawn from the same code base, and so it's not surprising that some components are installed but not used.

I agree, if you are a really going RAW, PSE's version leaves you wanting more.  Which is the marketing goal, right?!

• 11. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                              quenton8 Level 2

I don't see any camera-specific profiles.  The profiles are there and to be sure

I removed that folder and re-installed and they are there again, but they do

not appear in the "Camera Calibration" list -- (PSE9 ACR6.2)

• 12. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                                stewch Level 1

Dennis, what platform you are on for PSE9 -- PC or Mac? Your description of where the files are doesn't match mine (Mac).

When you open a RAW file (not a tiff or jpg) in PSE9 ACR6.2, does your camera name appear in the title bar? And on the Camera Calibration, what options DO you see?

FWIW, I'm seeing Adobe Standard plus 8 camera-specific (Camera Standard, Camera Portrait, etc) on Mac PSE9, ACR 6.2, same as what I saw in Mac PSE8 ACR5.7, ACR 6.1 and ACR 6.2.

• 13. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                                  quenton8 Level 2

OK you win, I lose

I had no idea -- I expected to see in the calibration list

Canon 60D

Nikon D90

etc etc

Yes it does show "Nikon D90" in the title bar,

and the various "Camera ..." items in the list.

Thank you for clarifying!!!!

• 14. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                                    Magnbri

I am having a similar problem.  Have Windows7, CS5 and LR3, even before this last update to Raw 6.3 I can not access any camera profiles.  When opening an image in Camera Raw it has my camera name at the very top (Says Camera RAw 6.3 - Sony DSLR-A550, and under the image it has the file number .dng); but when I go to camera profiles the only option is 'Adobe Standard'.  I am new to this so maybe that is all there is; I'd just think that if there is a drop down box offered, there would be something to choose from.

I want to eventually create a custom profile for my camera.

I have tried downloading the updater and re-running it.

Also if I go to the ProgramData>Adobe>CameraRaw>CameraProfiles  My camera is in the Adobe Standard Folder, but not the Camera folder.  Camera folder has only some Canons, Nikons and a few Pentax.

It could be that everything is as it should be, I don't know.

• 15. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Adobe Standard profile is all there is for your camera and all there used to be for any cameras, until a few years ago when Adobe started to make other types of profiles for cameras that were popular or otherwise seemed good to do.  It takes quite a bit of work and they don't have the resources to do every camera they support RAW formats for.  I have all those other profiles for my camera and typically only use the Adobe Standard, Camera Standard (simulates the default in-camera JPG settings) and some of my own profiles that I've created with the X-rite colorchecker passport:

http://www.xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1257&catid=28

• 16. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                                        MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Correct. For the A550, there is only one installed camera profile, and its name in the Camera Raw plug-in UI is "Adobe Standard". This is the expected behavior.

• 17. Re: Camera Profiles gone in Camera Raw 6.2
                                          Magnbri Level 1

Thank you so much.  I wasn't sure.  Eventually I will buy one of those X-rite passports.