10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2010 8:35 PM by crazy49

Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?

crazy49 Level 1

Hello all!

I have a program...Secunia PSI...which states that my Adobe Reader v9.3.4 is a Category 5 Security Threat and that hackers are currently

exploiting this on the internet to gain full control over my computer.  Adobe Flash Player 10 falls under the same category.  Secunia shows

no patches available.  I continually have problems with hackers and have turned in 2 reports to the IC3 online division of the F.B.I. over the past

year.  They use routers to connect to my computer and trace, delete files, spawn programs downloaded and completely unravel my life so I know

that this warning from Secunia is real!

Any suggestions or help to this problem will be greatly appreciated!

carxy49

• 1. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

crazy49 wrote:

Any suggestions or help to this problem will be greatly appreciated!

carxy49

Don't open PDF's (or ANY file for that matter) from unknown or untrusted sources.

It really sounds like you aren't being very careful. I've been dealing with PDF's for years without issue.

And no, you've got the latest version of Reader.

• 2. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?
            Johnny_Bigtime Level 1

Free anti-virus packages often give bogus threats. I use VIPRE Premium with Firewall, it's inexpensive, doesn't hog RAM and works far better than Norton or Kaspersky, I've had both. I've had zero problems since I installed VIPRE. Norton and Kaspersky let trojans slide through.

I also agree with graffiti, be careful bro.

• 3. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?

I ditched Norton years ago (when I was Mac only) and have been using Avast for a year or so. Absolutely no issues.

• 4. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?
                crazy49 Level 1

I am an extremely careful person!  Secunia PSI is NOT a Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware program.  Check it out on the web.

I use CA 2009 Security Suite which is an excellant program.  Almost 1/2 of CA users also integrate Secunia PSI with CA Software.

I DO NOT open PDF's from unknown sources and I too have been dealing with PDF's for years without problems.

You evidently don't understand the problem I am having.  The only thing left is to download an earlier version and see what happens.

Please stop thinking negatively about a user of Adobe and be kinder with your answers.  You'll get further in life that way.

crazy49

• 5. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?
                  Johnny_Bigtime Level 1

These programs always have vulnerabilities. This is why Adobe and other software companies are constantly offering updates. If you downgrade, you'll get the same warning.

Secunia PSI looks like it's just causing paranoia. Adobe and other software companies release security bulletins constantly on these topics.

Your smartphone is vulnerable to this sort of thing, but it's not in the public eye yet. Once it's public knowledge, people are going to be running for the hills to lock their phone down with the latest and greatest antivirus software.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it and just monitor your system.

• 6. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?

crazy49 wrote:

Please stop thinking negatively about a user of Adobe and be kinder with your answers.  You'll get further in life that way.

crazy49

My apologies if I came across rudely. That was not my intention.

It's just that most people I know, with a little bit of care, don't have as many problems as you've mentioned in your first post (in fact I don't know anyone that has that many issues including my 70 year old mother ;). That's why I assumed you weren't being careful enough.

• 7. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?
                      crazy49 Level 1

To: ~graffiti and jbartosch

You need to get with "eidnolb" for the correct information.  I posted my same original message in the Adobe Flash Player forums and this is what I got:

__________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________

"Hi.  Secunia is a good site and you can feel safe doing what they suggest, especially the ones that monitor the forums.

Flash Player 10.1 is the latest release.  There were many Security features included.  You can read about safe browsing and some of the features:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/privacy_mode_fp10_1.h tml

Now here are the latest Security Updates for Flash Player and Adobe Reader:

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/index.htmlflashplayer

Hope these help you.  Read the second one first.

Thanks,

eidnobl"

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Everyone needs a little education every day.  I hope this helps you the next time that someone else asks for help.

Sincerely,

crazy49.....and by the way, I'm a "dudette" not a "dude"   

• 8. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?
                        Johnny_Bigtime Level 1

LOL. Both links are broken.

I totally don't care about this thread anymore. Do what you like. Agreed, judging by your angered responses, I would guess you're a dudette.

• 9. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?

crazy49 wrote:

To: ~graffiti and jbartosch

You need to get with "eidnolb" for the correct information.  I posted my same original message in the Adobe Flash Player forums and this is what I got:

______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________

"Hi.  Secunia is a good site and you can feel safe doing what they suggest, especially the ones that monitor the forums.

I never said whether I thought Secunia was a good or bad site. I just mentioned that for the most part, you shouldn't be having as many scares as you seem to have.

I also mentioned that the patch you have for Reader is the latest. Is that in doubt?

crazy49 wrote:

crazy49.....and by the way, I'm a "dudette" not a "dude"   

Good to know but I don't see where either of us referred to you one way or another. Are you perhaps getting a couple of conversations in different threads mixed up? Easy to do if you are receiving replies via email and not coming in to the web forum.

At any rate, good luck. Sorry you didn't find our replies helpful in any way.

• 10. Re: Are there patches to Adobe Reader 9.3.4?
                            crazy49 Level 1

jbartosch:

It seems that giving out helpful info is worse for you than getting helpful info.  My response was not angered.  It was intended to

be helpful to you and others you may give advice to.

Your response to my information to you seems to have sparked your angered response.  Your comment "I would guess

you're a dudette" was uncalled for and unprofessional.  Maybe you need to get above 5,000+ helpful comments before you go on

the attack.  Type the link into your browser since the link was broken and maybe you will understand the helpful information that

Adobe has discovered concerning Reader and Flash that I was trying to point out to you.

Dudette crazy49