10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2012 4:55 PM by BenjaminMarkus

The Losers/ Borderlands effect

backjjis1 Level 1

Hi, I was told that The Losers Intro for the characters in the movie and Borderlands Intro for the characters video game was made in after effects if so does anyone know a tutorial for that?

• 1. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Asking for such a very specific tutorial isn't likely to get you anywhere. Tutorials tend to be made to teach general principles or techniques. Once you've learned to put those principles and techniques together, you can create anything that you can imagine.

I recommend that you start here to learn the basics of After Effects and then start putting the building blocks together.

If you want to search for tutorials on your own, then I recommend using the After Effects Community Help search.

If you have specific questions about After Effects, please ask them here.

• 2. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You could, as a courtesy, at least point us to an example for those who neirther watched the movie nor play games. anyway, i agree with todd - you should not expect to find a specific tutorial for every convceivable variation of a them but rather focus on learning techniques on a generic level. Once you understand the fundamental principles, many of those things will fall into place almost naturally and what seemed difficult will often actually be quite simple and easy....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
              cf2004cf

Hey guys, I'm actually interested in an answer, and I'll try to defend the topic

Examples

Video Games:

Forged By Chaos - russian developers, so not very known in US

http://bestgamewallpapers.com/files/forged-by-chaos/powered-by-chaos.jpg

Borderlands

http://xboxoz360.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/borderlands-oxcgn-lilith.jpg

Grand THeft Auto IV

http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/grand-theft-auto-4-gta-1257.jpg

Movies:

Losers

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/losers.jpg

The idea is that it seems to be a trend for this "look" and there are 6.7 billions people in the world and the hope is that at least one is both Adobe member and knows the effects/filters list and steps to get this look

I mean I don't know Adobe but in the end everything is a Turing machine so from source to destination there is always a finite number of steps that are easy to follow with enough IQ and English skills and I was hoping someone knows these steps. That is this is a matter of Adobe knowledge, the IQ and English skills required to undersntand the process are average

See, I want to know how to turn on the light, so you tell me to press the button, I don't need to know what electricity or light are, or what happens at the back end. No, I just need to know which buttons do I need to press in order to get that look, and hopefully there is one person that knows that sequence.

Even though the question may be broad and fuzzy, in the end, if someone already did it, the answer should be known and shared

Well, that's it.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Forged By Chaos example is an illustration by an artist not a filter applied to an image or video.

The Borderlands example is either an illustration or a 3D model not a filter applied to an image or video. Same for Grand Theft Auto and Loosers.

You can achieve similar results by using Red Giant's Toonit 2.1 which is probably the best, or Saphire's Cartoon or Cartoon Paint, or even AE's Cartoon filter. You'll get good results providing your footage is properly shot (including art direction lighting, costumes and makeup) , free of noise. You won't get the exact look of your examples without a complicated process of rotoscoping, posterizing color, and multiple layers with possibly some 3D modeling and motion capture.

You won't get very good results if you just grab a camera and start shooting without consideration of how you want the final product to look. There is no simple one click solution that will always work. Red Giant's Toonit is probably as close as you can get using a single layer and some well produced footage.

• 5. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
                  cf2004cf Level 1

This answers my question, and I appreciate the reply. Thank you!

• 6. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
                    bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> ... and there are 6.7 billions people in the world and the hope is that at least one is both Adobe member and knows the effects/filters list and steps to get this look ... I mean I don't know Adobe <

Rick is exactly one in a billion so there are only 5.7 other humans who could have answered your question.

The second part is the funny part for me. It's like saying, "I don't know anything about rocks or even steel but, that Michelangelo guy must have used a simple tool to make that David sculpture. What hammer should I use?"

bogiesan

• 7. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
                      cf2004cf Level 1

"I don't know anything about rocks or even steel but, that Michelangelo guy

must have used a simple tool to make that David sculpture. What hammer should I

use?"

Awesome metaphor. You nailed it right on the head. Pun intended :)

• 8. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
                        Navarro Parker Level 3

I'm a little late to the conversation. But you might want to check out the movies Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly. The same company did a series of TV commercials for Charles Schwab. It's a combination of customized software and lots of hand work. I believe the DVDs have extras that talk about the process.

But essentially there's no easy way to get the look in your examples. If it was a two click plug-in, everyone would be doing it. You do realize those examples aren't using video (or even photos) of any sort? They are illustrations drawn by hand by artists from their creative minds. And in the case of Borderlands, it's a hybrid toon/phong shader for 3D. If you want a hand drawn look, guess what? You're going to have to hand draw it. (Or bribe one of your artistic friends with pizza!)

Check out "behind the scenes" footage or developer diaries for games. PSN and XBL both have lots and lots of "making of" videos for AAA titles. Also check out the making of Team Fortress 2 which pioneered the hybrid toon/phong look. There is this little thing called Google and YouTube.

• 9. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
                          mike_mike_motorbike Level 1

There is an easy answer.  As it's been said, they're all done by hand by illustrators and graphic designers and then the layering is animated in after effects (or one of its evil twins).  And I don't mean this facetiously, but HIRE ONE!!! They could probably use the work.

• 10. Re: The Losers/ Borderlands effect
                            BenjaminMarkus Level 4

A common question on the Adobe forums is how to make live-action footage look like a cartoon?  Although this tutorial goes all the way back to After Effects CS2, you’ll find that the lessons are quite timeless and can be applied to the latest versions of After Effects.

In this 3-part tutorial, Creative cow leader Aharon Rabinowitz explains the process of converting video to cartoon by using only After Effects and Adobe Illustrator CS2. While the tutorial spans 50 minutes and covers a wide range of topics (some in-depth and some in general), after you have gone through the process once, you will find that it’s easy to adapt the Cartoonification technique to your own needs.

Creating a Cartoon from Video

Although, as Rick said this can also be done using several other plugins.

If you're interested you can also check out my new blog, which has a lot of tutorials for doing hand-drawn animation in Photoshop and AE as well as acheiving a more analog look for motion graphics.