16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 2:56 AM by here2infinity Branched to a new discussion.

Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos

Sol_383

Well,

I have a clip that is about 2 minutes long and has 57 video clips, about 10 cross-dissolves and a simple preset look from magic bullet 1.4

When I hit render a few hours ago it said "Rendering 1 of 57 Video Previews" and "Rendering Frame 1 of 2889".....so I took a nap.

Four hours later it's still rendering....and now it sais "Rendering 5786 of 18759 Video Previews" and a similar astronomic Number in Frames.

I found out that it happens when I select the area of my entire clip and hit "Render entire work area" to even render the many yellow parts of the sequence.

• 1. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
          REMERVISION VIDEO

I am having the EXACT same problem that you are describing so well here. It began this morning after I downloaded and installed the new update version 5.02.

I have tried all the things you did such as deleting preview files, pasting into new projects, importing the project into another project but nothing seems to change the situation of this perpetual rendering. WE NEED A REAL SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM ASAP. COULD THERE BE A BUG IN THE LATEST UPDATE?

• 2. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
            Sol_383 Level 1

Hi Remersion,

thank god I'm not the only one. I was just before going crazy. Well I also checked the  clips on other pc's and even macs.Every computer had the same problem. So I was lucky to give my cam back to the shop after three months now and was able to switch it with a sony hdr-xr 550. No 50p but who cares, I was also thinking about going back to hdv......at least that ran smoooooooothly. I'll do some test shots and will write soon how they went.

Even AVCHD support from pana didn't know about the problems.

• 3. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
              Sol_383 Level 1

Hi Remersion,

again it's me. Well I tested the Sony hdrr-xr550ve......same problem, but not that extreme. Maybe it's kind of a rolling shutter thing I don't know.

I also gave that cam back. Shooting Images if you don't move or pan the cam are outrageous and perfect. But If we don't want to move the ca, we can get a dslr.

Next I'll probably try the canon eos 5d mark2 or the hdv cam hvr-a1e from sony. HDV is a "step back" in quality but at least you can "move" your camera smoothly and get good pics. The Mark 2 captures in QT h.264, which I guess is also better than the avchd cramp codec. And their a bit pricier but both in the same price range. I'll keep you updated.

• 4. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                here2infinity

I have the same problem as this original post. I have taken a sequence that was incorrectly created using 29.97 instead of 25p and copied and pasted the entire project into a new sequence that is 25p.

I have fixed all the keyframes for the audio which did not come over in the copy and paste and then went to render the timeline. I first tried to render just a short section as a work area so I could see if my rolling credits were smooth. But the render is constantly creating more and more video previews. Far mare than the project has. Estimated time left says 00:00:00 and the render bar never go green past the first 100 frames or so.

I have left it to render for hours just to see if it finishes, but the video preview count just grows and grows.

It does the same whether I render the whole project, or just the work area.

Using Premier CS5 on windows 7 64 bit. Build 5.01

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This first post was over 2 months ago, I wonder if any Adobe folks have an idea of what this problem is?

• 5. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                  shooternz Level 6

Your build is out of date!.

Current is 5.02  (significant fixes)

Also ..can you post up a screen shot of your timeline?

• 6. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                    here2infinity Level 1

Hi Shooternz,

Thanks for the post. Whilst I was waiting, I tried a few more things to no avail, including the obvious. . .  clearing the media cache again. It the looked like it was rendering normally again. After a few minutes it started adding more video previews again and counting down each time to zero and adding more etc.

By the way, I rechecked my version and it was indeed the 5.0.2

Thanks mate

Screenshot here

screen shot timeline.GIF

• 7. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                      shooternz Level 6

Your timeline looks normal and straight forward.

Did you say it was from a PPRO Multicam edit workflow or just shot on multiple cameras?

BTW: I have never seen this issue.  I rarely even see a render / preview  file these days.  I do have to do the occasional render (Enter Key) but nothing collects up along side my Project files where they are directed should they occur.

• 8. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                        here2infinity Level 1

Being my first project in eons I created a sequence (wrongly 29.97) added all my two camera source assets (25p), then created a multicamera edit sequence (again wrongly 29.97) in PPro. Then as per your suggestion, I created a new 25p sequence and copied and pasted. When the audio transitions were not brought over, I decided to put them back in and render.

Now there is no rendering this sequence. When I go back and try to render a piece of the source sequence, it renders fine. The multicam sequece was already rendered so I can't try it there.

Thnx

• 9. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                          shooternz Level 6

Just something for the future in case you were un aware of it.

In CS5 if you drop a source file on top of the New Item Icon at the bottomof the Project bin..it wil match your source and create a sequence to it.

Rename that sequence and you are good to go.

• 10. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                            here2infinity Level 1

I'll take that advice. I just took the newly modified (but un-rendered) 25p sequence and dropped it onto the new button. It created a new sequence that looks to have made all the changes and flattened it on one video and audeo track. It seems to be render properly so far. Wish me luck!

Cheers

• 11. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                              shooternz Level 6

The problem with that method is ..you get a Nest againn (flattened layers) and will be unable to

edit them as individual clips.

Luck anyway.

• 12. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                                here2infinity Level 1

You're right, it was unusable. Because when I had earlier copied and pasted form the nuticamera sequence to the 25p sequence, It turned random cross dissolves into black dips and many black dips that were supposed to be there were not distributed across both sides of the edit. And although the flattened sequence would now render, it was nothing I could use.

SO still no answer as to why it would not render this copied and pasted sequence. Perhaps because the parent sequence fps did not match . . . and I'm back to my earlier post of how to fix a sequence that was improperly created as a 29.97 sequence.

Cheers anyway

• 13. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                                  shooternz Level 6

This should be working and is the way to do it.

This workflow is frequently used by those that have used the wrong preset and need to correct it.

PPRO is a non destructive editor. ...That means it does not destroy or change the SOURCE CLIPS and media ( at all)

Maybe you have done something to your clips or have a system issue of some sort.

There is absolutely no other reason why it doesnt work as proscribed.

I am stumped!

There is some sort of clue in this "increase in videos from previews".

• 14. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                                    here2infinity Level 1

I agree, and I do understand the non destructive nature of non linear editing.

I did a test earlier today. I imported a few of the source clips that were jittery in the played back copy and pasted 25p sequence. I added a new title which included all the same logos and elements as the main movie. Then exported. It plays very smoothly.

I think you are right that the rendering issue is probably tied to the lack of quality in playback of the corrected sequence.

I have exported the whole origional 29.97 sequence to a blu-ray format and will see about making a data disk that will play back on the PS3. At least then my friend whose project this is, will see it smooth and sharp.

Thanks for staying with me on this! It's been a glorious week in Auckland, so I know how hard it is to stay inside and deal with computer issues when the weather is spot on for a change!

• 15. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                                      shooternz Level 6
                                      It's been a glorious week in Auckland,

How do you know that?

I had my fill of the awesome weather over the long (and extended weekend) ...so back to work in front of the computers today was no problem at all.

A thought maybe worth trying:

Converting both audio tracks to .wavs and the .ai graphic to a .psd

• 16. Re: Rendering Video Previews increases number of videos
                                        here2infinity Level 1

I'm in the east coast bays north of the bridge . . .

I'll look into converting the graphics and audio tracks tomorrow. I've only got a dual core machine and the Blu-ray file takes 4.5 hours to encode.

Funny, I was just telling my wife how things come around in strange ways. I used to teach film classes in Maine to video guys wanting to break into the film business in NYC. Now 20 years later. I am in NZ looking from the film business into the video world. If the Hobbit stays here, it will likely shoot on the Arri Alexa. And we D.O.P.'s who used to carry light meters, now do b camera footage with DSLRs . . . It's an interesting time to be in the game.

Hey, being local, can you suggest someone to talk to about sourcing / building a proper editing machine?

Cheers

Chris