2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2007 9:28 AM by ntsiii

Cross Domain Access

I'm 2 days old in Flex so excuse me if this sounds silly. I'm trying to create a little widget that can be hosted on any website. This flex application accesses data from finance.yahoo.com. Note that i don't want to limit myself to hosting my flex app on a specific website.
      Is there a means to access data from the yahoo portal by means of some code within the flex app? I don't know much about crossdomain.xml but the thing is creating and saving the XML file may not be under my control.
      I have a working prototype that works well when launched from within Flex environment.
      I would appreciate your help.
        • 1. Re: Cross Domain Access
          kcell Level 2
          Hi,

your flash widget can only access data from servers, which allow access per crossdomain.xml or from your server. That´s a security thing which comes with the flash player. ( if yahoo didn´t allow access to their content that´s bad luck )

Dependend on the amount of data it may make sense to get data by some server scripts and store the data on your server and access it via flash.

best regards,
          kcell

• 2. Re: Cross Domain Access
            ntsiii Level 3
            The flex builder environment "cheats" by installing itself into a "trusted" sandbox that lets it access pretty much anything.

The security restrictions are serious. Crossdomain.xml or server-side proxy are the only solutions.

Tracy