2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 9:47 AM by Bob Bobson III

Deleteing all local SharedObjects

Bob Bobson III

Hello, is there any way to delete all shared object data for a domain?  We used generated names for our swfs and over time it has created enough to reach the 100kb limit for our domain, creating the user prompt.  AFAIK, I cannot access the path above catOrgan_3342.swf to clear the other dirs catOrgan_3341.swf catOrgan_3340.swf etc, nor is there a global clear, or a way of enumerating the subdirectories.

Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\QBX3423\www.fluffycats.com\catOrgan_3342.swf\<my files>

Thanks

Bob

• 1. Re: Deleteing all local SharedObjects
          Karthikeyan Ramasamy Level 2

Hi Bob,

I am afraid that you cannot delete shared objects created by other swfs. Since security of the data is very important for Flash, the swf file which creates the shared object should delete/clear it. Flash will not allow second swf to clear first swf's data even if they are loaded from same domain or if they are same swf with different names.

If the swf's name is keep changing everytime, it is impossible for the swf with new name to access the shared object of previous swf. In your case, shared object is written but not read until the names match. Not sure why you are generating swf's name dynamically. But it will not work with shared objects.

Regards,

Karthikeyan R.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Deleteing all local SharedObjects
            Bob Bobson III Level 1

Thanks for your answer, I suspect as much, just hoping there was something I've missed or a cunning workaround exists.  Would be nice if they provided the ability to allow this using crossdomain.xml style config script or somethin.  Disable it by default, but for a site which you control, allow local swfs the ability to browse local data for that site.

> Not sure why you are generating swf's name dynamically.

As part of our build process each swf has it's perforce revision postpended to the name, this is to avoid the users getting an old version via his cache and also useful to check versions by looking at traffic or the page source.  There are other reasons we might use generated names, obfuscation etc.