5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 8:32 AM by Colin Brougham

Quicktime A/V out of sync: Are you kidding me...

gold987987987 Level 1

All of the audio on my h.264 files are out of sync and I'm sick and tired of it.  I want to settle this once and for all.

I've had this problem for the last 4 years, on different PC's and with every generation of Premiere I've owned (CS, CS2, CS3 and CS5).

What is causing it!!!  The audio isn't out of sync on other videos I download, like movie trailers etc from Apple.

Why does every h.264 file I've rendered for the last 4 years do this????

Play it on a MAC and everything is fine....what am I doing wrong....How are other people rendering h.264 files so they play approriately on PC's and Macs?

I can render to Windows Media files, etc and there are no problems...only h.264.

All my codecs are up to date etc.

My editing PC is plenty powerful enough to process this data.  Q6600 8GB 4HDD's

So what gives?....please tell me someone else has had this issue and solved it.

• 1. Re: Quicktime A/V out of sync: Are you kidding me...
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

where are you getting your footage from? also, h.264 wouldn't be my first choice of format for editing if i had a choice in the matter.

• 2. Re: Quicktime A/V out of sync: Are you kidding me...
            gold987987987 Level 1

Sorry for the auto responder folks, I changed my email and forgot to update my Adobe settings....all fixed now.

The footage I'm using can be anything.  I mostly use Cineform to convert all my footage....plays perfectly in Premiere.  I can even use native 5DmkII footage (h.264) or captured HDV.

I just noticed something... I download VLC Player on my PC and everything plays perfect in it!  The same footage played in Quicktime is out of sync.  I double checked my footage playback in Quicktime on a Mac and it's not perfect after all....it's just ever so slightly out of sync too.  Almost too little to notice but it's out of sync.

Soooooo, why are h.264 files so out of sync on a PC and slightly out of sync on a Mac?  Also, why does VLC play everything perfectly?

• 3. Re: Quicktime A/V out of sync: Are you kidding me...
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Soooooo, why are h.264 files so out of sync on a PC and slightly out of sync on a Mac?

Because it's QuickTime Player.

Also, why does VLC play everything perfectly?

Because it's not QuickTime Player.

I'm really not trying to be a wise guy... it's just the Apple's implementation of H.264 is notoriously bad. Compound it with a bloated player, and all bets are off. VLC or--my preference--Media Player Classic will do a much better job.

Do you get the same results if you export using QuickTime as the format and H.264 as the encoder? That should restrict the H.264 parameters to the relatively low level that jives with QT Player, if you need H.264 + QuickTime.

• 4. Re: Quicktime A/V out of sync: Are you kidding me...
                gold987987987 Level 1

99.99% of my clients and viewers will use either Quicktime or Flash to view my work...asking them to download and use another player is horrible.  Why do the movie trailers from Apple.com seem to sync so much better then my films?

• 5. Re: Quicktime A/V out of sync: Are you kidding me...
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Don't shoot the messenger, man. You proved to yourself that Premiere is not the issue here; if it was, you'd see OOS in ALL players, not just QuickTime Player. The trailers downloaded from Apple work in QuickTime because they'd look pretty stupid if they didn't.

You didn't reply to my question: are you only using the H.264 format, or have you tried QT with H.264 as the encoder? They're different, and one may be better for your purposes.

Also, you can use a different multiplexing option if you select H.264 as the format. With MP4 selected as the multiplexer, try exporting with "iPod" as the setting for Stream Compatibility. Try using Baseline as the profile; QT does not handle Main or High profile well. This may improve playback in QuickTime.