4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2010 9:37 AM by Jarr1976

Mercury Playback Engine Anomalies

DavidTeubner

Hi all,

I've made a video going through how the GPU works for rendering video using my GTX 480 card with the hack using CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine.

Do other folks who might be using the same video card (or an approved card) have similar experiences? Slower renders with Queue versus Export?

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKgEmNtTmgo

How does an "approved" card work for folks? Same discrepancies in exporting?

Thanks...

• 1. Re: Mercury Playback Engine Anomalies
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think hardware mpe is only for timeline rendering, not for exporting

• 2. Re: Mercury Playback Engine Anomalies
            SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

Hey David -
            It isn't that encoding some formats are more or less accelerated than others, but that no encoding at all is accelerated. While encoding is not accelerated, this is only one part of the export process and many other steps benefit from the Mercury Playback Engine explaining the varying GPU usage that you observe. As an example, when you transcode 1920x1080 AVCHD to 720x480 DV in your video, compressing to DV is done in software but the scale between sizes is done on the GPU. This balancing of GPU and CPU work is intentional, we do not want to completely leave the CPUs idle.

Preview renders, direct exports and queued exports through AME all use the acceleration engine. As you have noticed there are some exceptions when exporting with AME. When using queued exports, effects will always be rendered on the GPU but there are a few cases where scaling will currently be done on the CPU. This is something we hope to improve in the future.
            --sh

• 3. Re: Mercury Playback Engine Anomalies
              UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks - that was a good explanation.

/Ulf

• 4. Re: Mercury Playback Engine Anomalies
                Jarr1976

I have a follow up question.

Which is faster to render out a project in Encore that I have the timelines dynamically linked to from Premiere--

Is it better to let Encore do the rendering for SD/HD projects or use AME to render via Encore and then select burn project?

Thanks.

Jared