3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 4:52 PM by Arkaygee

PE 3 Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Premiere Elements to be shut down. We will at

Arkaygee

I'm a newby to the Forum

This issue has obviously surfaced before but I cant see a real solution in all Ive read.

Ive been editing and producing home movies with pe3 happily for 3 years no problem

Dual core processor 3 gig ddr ram windows XP SP3 fully updated

Used MSconfig to shut all unnecessary services, 100Gig space on HDD recently defragged

Cant open new or old projects , PE3 goes in a cycle of 3 error messages

1. Sorry a serious error etc...........

2 It appears Adobe Prem  El closed unexpectedly. Do you want to open...........etc

3. The projected file that is being opened is a recovery.  We will try ........etc.

PE 3 has been re-installed multiple times, Registry cleaner has been run.  The new update was also installed.

It still keeps happening even thought it worked perfectly for 3 years before.

I'm open to all suggestions, thank you.

• 1. Re: PE 3 Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Premiere Elements to be shut down. We will at
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You seem like you're pretty meticulous about keeping your system up to date, clean and defragged, which is always my first recommendation when someone says the program used to work but suddenly stopped.

I don't know which programs you're using to maintain your program, but here's what I recommend in my books.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

Also go to Premiere Elements Edit/Preferences/Media Cache and clear the Media Cache.

You don't say if you're also keeping Quicktime up to date, but that too is important.

Strangely, there seem to be a lot of posts recently from people complaining about error messages, so it could be a faulty Windows update.

Meantime, try launching the program while holding down the left side Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys to clear any corrupt preferences. You can also go to C\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\OWNER\APPLICATION DATA\ADOBE and rename the Premiere Elements folder, which will force Premiere Elements to recreate it next time you start the launch the program.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try uninstalling the program and then deleting the C\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\PREMIERE ELEMENTS 3.0 folder completely before you reinstall. (And, of course, also install Adobe's 3.02 patch.)

Beyond that, I'm not sure. But, once you're done with all of this, who knows. Microsoft might issue the patch that fixes whatever they did wrong!

• 2. Re: PE 3 Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Premiere Elements to be shut down. We will at
            Arkaygee Level 1

I haven't been updating Quicktime, I'll attend to that straight away.

The fault seemed to coincide with an Adobe Flash Ver 10 update.

I also read somewhere in the posts that the style sheet could be corrupted.

Starting the program from a new user worked for some people, that seems to

indicate that using a new set of preferences could clear the fault.

Can you confirm that starting PE3 with all 3 keys held down, I thought I

read in the posts that it was only Control, Shift.  Do you need to hold down

Alt as well?

I take it that deleting the Adobe folder as described will remove

preferences and style settings???

I'll check out your program maintenance suggestions.

Many thanks for the help and suggestions, I'll post the results when I know

how it all goes.

• 3. Re: PE 3 Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Premiere Elements to be shut down. We will at
              Arkaygee Level 1

The problem was finally sorted last night.  Doing the Ctrl, Shift etc didnt

solve the problem but renaming the Premiere Elements 3 folder to Premiere

Elements 3 OLD thus creating a new folder, did work.  One of the project

files was then opened and it all came back to normal. I just had to point

the project to the old PRV file and away it went.  Hopefully no further

problems but at least we'll know how to get around it.

Many thanks for all assistance.