3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 5:03 AM by Alex Uhlmann

Observer Tools - new domain object & collections

adooba-jooba Level 1

Examples of Observer tool suggests to create new domain object (ex. Contact), add to collections wrapper (ex. Contacts) and set the selected item to newly created object in collections wrapper. While all this is all good, it does not suggest the scenario where the user navigates away by not persisting this object (on server side/database). Also there should be way to cancel all changes made but not persisted. (ex, user edited properties on domain object via form).

May be I am missing something here or this is upto application design?

• 1. Re: Observer Tools - new domain object & collections
          Alex Uhlmann Level 3

Hi, what do you mean by "Observer Tools"? With the Contacts example, do you mean the Insync sample application? Change tracking isn't provided in there and there are a variety of ways to do that. If you're using LCDS, it comes for free when using managed objects. You might want to connect this to the navigation library, which allows you to intercept navigation events. Inside those interceptions you could check for changes on your domain.

• 2. Re: Observer Tools - new domain object & collections
            adooba-jooba Level 1

Yes I mean Cairngorm observer library and I was referring to Insync sample application. Sorry for not being clear in my inquiry.

While Insync sample application does shows how to track changes on an object and intercept user navigation if the changes are not committed, it does not talk about the case where user wants to abandon changes and restore application to its previous state. It also gets more complicated when the changes involved adding item to collection. (Ex. creating a new contacts), in which case abandoning changes would also involve removing the added item from the collection. (ContactForm has no idea about collection, by principle). How can this be done? I am looking for solution using Blazeds.

• 3. Re: Observer Tools - new domain object & collections
              Alex Uhlmann Level 3

I would talk to your manager and buy LCDS.