4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 11:04 PM by nealb4zod

How do I get a scroll bar in html

nealb4zod

Here is my problem:

My landing page is 1000x600 and the page size setting is set to that, however my Gallery page is 1000x1200. When I go to the test movie or the browser html default test, when you navigate to my Gallery page there is no way to scroll down to see the lower half of the page.

I cannot make every page on the site the exact same size. How do I have varying page sizes and still be able to scroll down to see the rest of the page?

• 1. Re: How do I get a scroll bar in html
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am assuming you mean this is all part of a single Flash file, so if that assumption is wrong, so is my response as far as addressing your problem.

The stage defines how large the viewable area of the file will be, regardless of how much space the content takes up.  So you probably need to build in your own scrolling feature for that section in the Flash file. Either that or increase your stage size to the 1200 height, which will result in scrolling in the browser for all sections.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I get a scroll bar in html
            nealb4zod Level 1

Yes it's all part of the same file, but some of the pages that I put together in photoshop exceed the set stage size of the landing/home page section.

So now, I guess, I need to figure out the scroll pane/bar function and how to apply it to the entire content of the Gallery page section.. Thanks for the help Ned. Any suggestions?  I'm a bit of a flash noob.

• 3. Re: How do I get a scroll bar in html
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is usually easiest to place everything that needs to be movable into a single containing movieclip and use whatever scroll-control mechanism you decide on for it.  You can probably use a Scrollbar component, but you'll have to look that up to see how to set one up.  I will usually devise my own scroll controls.

A home-made version would have you modifying the y (or _y  for AS2) property of that movieclip based on the change in position of a startDrag object's (slider of a scrollbar) y property relative to its position within its own movieclip. So if the slider has a movement range of 100 pixels, then each pixel of movement would represent 1% of the total movement range of the movieclip (which in your case would be a total range of 600 pixels)... so each pixel the slider moves results in the movieclip moving 6 pixels.

• 4. Re: How do I get a scroll bar in html
                nealb4zod Level 1

Thanks again for the quick replies and all the info, Ned. I'm going to take a shot at it right now and see what works best. Much appreesh.