6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 2:19 PM by Chris W. Griffith

Linking a button to an swf video

colmier

Hello

I am a new user to catalyst and I was wondering if there is a possible explanation of how to link a button to play an swf video in a module. I am not sure if this is possible or not. If not are there any alternatives to linking this button to my flash animation using catalyst?

I appreciate any help on this matter,

Thank you

• 1. Re: Linking a button to an swf video
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

If I am understanding you correctly, the answer is yes. I have attached a simple demo that shows two methods. One method uses the Auto-Play feature. The Play Video button goes from Page 1 to Page 2, where the video will auto play. The other example in the file (Page 3), shows a button that will send a play interaction command to the video already on the screen.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• 2. Re: Linking a button to an swf video
            colmier Level 1

I havent tried it out yet, but it sounds exactly like what I am needing to do and I thank you for your help!

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:17:28 -0600

To: cmgrier@hotmail.com

Subject: Linking a button to an swf video

If I am understanding you correctly, the answer is yes. I have attached a simple demo that shows two methods. One method uses the Auto-Play feature. The Play Video button goes from Page 1 to Page 2, where the video will auto play. The other example in the file (Page 3), shows a button that will send a play interaction command to the video already on the screen.

Hope this helps.

Chris

>

• 3. Re: Linking a button to an swf video
              Fly Fisher

Chris,

Thanks for the demo; it works great. However, I believe the question was to control a .swf file. I know Catalyst allows you to control .flv and .f4v files with buttons but I don't believe it allows you to do so with a .swf file.  I've tried placing on the timeline a SWF stop() and play() action when transitioning from stateA to StateB - where there are embedded .swf files within each state - without success. The audio continues to play from stateA when you transition to StateB. It's an ugly thing and have not found any help on this issue with Catalyst.

If you have any suggestions, please share...

Thanks again for the great demo on controlling .flv and .f4v files. It will definitely come in handy in the future.

Fly Fisher...

• 4. Re: Linking a button to an swf video

Here is a simple demo of two buttons controlling an embedded swf. I am not certain on the audio. It might depend on how the swf plays the audio portion.

To control a swf file in Catalyst, you need to have the swf selected and then use the actions panel.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Picture 3.png

• 5. Re: Linking a button to an swf video
                  Lauriejw2

This is great, but I want my .swf to be external, not embedded.  I want the button to call out and open a linked .swf to play in it's own window.  I can't find any reference anywhere about how to get that into the button action.  All it will let me do is go to a URL, or embed the .swf and give it an action sequence.  Help!!

• 6. Re: Linking a button to an swf video

Then you will need to create separate HTML pages that contain each swf you want to display. In Flash Catalyst just add the "Go To Url" interaction. There will be a option to select which window it should open in. In your case, select Open in New Window.