3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 3:44 PM by Godber

Extension Mgr CS4 won't start on PC

kimberw

My Extension Manager CS4 was working fine until I updated Acrobat Reader and Java about a month ago. Now, if I attempt to open EM from within Dreamweaver, I get most of the EM shell, but then it hangs. No extensions are listed, and I can't click on anything. If I try to open EM from my start menu, I get nothing at all. "Adobe Extension Manager CS4.exe" appears in the Task Manager's list of Processes, but not in the list of Applications.

I tried doing a system restore to an earlier date, but it didn't fix the problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java, as well as the entire Creative Suite. No luck. I also tried updating EM with the 2.1 patch. No change.

One odd thing that may be noteworthy: If I right-click on a file in Windows Explorer, Windows Explorer crashes.

Any help would be welcome. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Extension Mgr CS4 won't start on PC
          kimberw Level 1

I've also got Macromedia Extension Manager version 1.7.240 installed, which works with my installation of Dreamweaver 8. It's what I'm using while my CS4 is messed up. Might there be a conflict? I'm afraid to uninstall it because I'm not sure who in my company has the original disks, in case I need to install it again.

• 2. Re: Extension Mgr CS4 won't start on PC
            OgreOne Level 1

I had the exact situation with Vista and this is what I did after seeing something on another thread that gave me a crazy idea:

The thread mentioned installing manually into a user directory. (Users/[name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Extension Manager2/Configuration/Extensions/

The problem was that I did't have the "../Configuration/Extensions/" folders, so I created them and threw an .mxp file in (while every CS4 program was closed).

I then started up the CS4 Extension Manager and instead of freezing and being blank, my extensions showed up and I was able to install again.  Maybe just a fluke on my end?  I would be interested to know if it works for someone else.

• 3. Re: Extension Mgr CS4 won't start on PC
              Godber

I'm having this problem but on Windows 7. I've tried adding the folders as suggested but alas this has not solved the problem for me. From within Dreamweaver, Extension Manager opens but freezes and does not populate with any entries. When I double click the .exe directly where it resides, it does not respond at all (both as a user and administrator).

I also had an additonal problem similar to the OPs where right clicking fails in Windows Explorer accompanied by the following message:

The specified module could not be found. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1\VersionCue.DLL

I solved this by moving the file mentioned in the error message from the 4.0.0 folder to the 4.0.1 folder (also mentioned in the error message) - not my bright idea, but it worked, although perhaps it lead to my new problems.