6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 11:28 PM by expeditionwest

Decompiling a DVD

expeditionwest

Since porting over to WIN7, I inadverntenly lost some key files of a project I was working on.

I do have the finished (interim) DVD of the AVI of the project.

I heard one of the CS5 suite of programs can decompile a DVD and I can get the files back from there.

Is this true?  I can't find anywhere where to do that in PremPro or AfterFX, but maybe it's just hiding behind the gazillions of features in these suite programs.

Any help?

expeditionwest

• 1. Re: Decompiling a DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS5 does not "decompile" a DVD... but it will let you import un-encrypted VOB files to the timeline

When you say "DVD of the AVI" does that mean you have a DATA disc with an AVI file?

• 2. Re: Decompiling a DVD
            expeditionwest Level 1

No John.

I created a movie disk with NERO8 (back when I had XP).  The DVD disk has the following file/file structure:

(FOLDER) VIDEO_TS

video_ts.bup

video_ts.ifo

video_ts.vob

vts_01_0.bup

vts_01_0.ifo

vts_01_0.vob

expeditonwest

• 3. Re: Decompiling a DVD
              Colin Brougham Level 6
                     vts_01_0.vob

Copy that one to your hard drive, and import it. Obviously this will be compressed (e.g. not the original) but if it's all you have to work with, that's all you can do.

• 4. Re: Decompiling a DVD
                expeditionwest Level 1

Follow-up:

OK, I used CS5 PrePro to import the main VOB file VIDEO_TS.VOB (it was the menu)

and  I used the other VOB file as the main video.....rendered it and exported it to DVD....all works now.

Why did I need to do this?  Since updating to WIN7, I found my old NERO burner (P.O.S. bloated program) doesn't work in WIN7.  I was using an alternate way to create a new DVD without spending any more cash.

Thanks for your help John

• 5. Re: Decompiling a DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With PrPro CS5, you have a great authoring application, Adobe Encore, and it will do much more than Nero could.

There is a also a great Encore forum, for helping you get started with that program.

If you are new to Encore, I strongly recommend Jeff Bellune's book, The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press. Everything in that book will apply to Encore CS5, though it has added some features that are not in the book.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - this ARTICLE will give you some background on DVD's in general.

• 6. Re: Decompiling a DVD
                    expeditionwest Level 1

Thanks for the timely tip Bill.

Yea, I worked with ENCORE 1.x a lot. Great program. I loved the flexibility and ease of use, however I 'tier' my projects, of which I have a few going on right now for customers. The simple ones get simple treatment (I use the new WIN 7 DVD maker on those), the more complex, chaptered ones get the ENCORE 2.0 treatment.

I'm one to believe that when I need to go to the store, why take the 18-wheeler truck when I can use my bicycle. Keep it simple for the simple work, break out the guns for the complex stuff.

I DO love the ability to grab VOB files off my older work though. Whew - thought I had lost those until this ability.

expeditionwest