4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 3:36 PM by jersmi

AE CS5 Crashing on RAM Preview

jersmi

AE CS5 crashes persistently using ram preview. Ech time it generates an alert window with the following message included

In the crash reporter I checked the "don't show and always send to adobe", and I can't figure out how to show the window again, so here I am.

This problem is specific to my laptop:

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz

8 Gb ram

The problem does not happen when booting from an external drive with After Effects CS5 installed.

AE CS4 works fine on my laptop -- I have reverted to using it.

• 1. Re: AE CS5 Crashing on RAM Preview
          jersmi Level 1

The forums logged me out and the "previous version" of saved text lost a bunch of additional info....

I am using After Effects CS5 10.0.1

The crash alert message includes the text:

Last log message was: <large number> <DynamicLink> <5> /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/dynamiclink/CS5/dynamiclinkmanager.app

• 2. Re: AE CS5 Crashing on RAM Preview
            jersmi Level 1

More info:

-- The external drive has the same OS and version of CS5.

-- I uninstalled / reinstalled CS5 suite, with the cleaner script.

-- I used Cocktail to run maintenance scripts to clean caches, etc.

-- Problem involves two projects, one originally created in CS4 (a large project) using Photo-JPEG footage (640x480) exported using the
            CS4 render queue (and reimported with fx added), and a fresh small new CS5 project using keyframed psd layers created in CS5.

• 3. Re: AE CS5 Crashing on RAM Preview
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Try deleting the entire preferences folder (<drive>/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/10.0) and restarting.

• 4. Re: AE CS5 Crashing on RAM Preview
                jersmi Level 1

Thanks for the response.

First things I tried: delete prefs folder and delete prefs folder + restart -- didn't work. Then I rebooted into an external drive with same OS/AE version and the same project file works when running off the external drive. I also completely reinstalled CS5 using the CS5 cleaner in between.