29 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2011 6:29 PM by rtalton

Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???

Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I don't know what forum to post this question on, so please direct me if necessary.

I want to get a phone for FP 10.1 Flex app development, but I need to get it from ATT as that is where my current family plan is and I can't switch.

The Samsung Captivate has Android 2.1, but does anyone know if I will be able to upgrade to Android 2.2?

Also, I heard ATT is strict about you need to download apps from the Android app store, but if I am developing apps, then how do I get it on my phone if it is not on the app store?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
          ozDiGennaro Level 1

Dear Greg,

Interesting questions.  Some of it is beyond my expertise and it's all changing fast.

In summary, the latest version of Android (2.2) supports the Flash 10 player - and that's very good news.  But you have to be sure that the phone has the latest version of the Android operating system.

I don't know how strict AT&T is about app "purity".  In any case, there is probably a "jailbreak" that would permit you to run any app on the phone during development.

So, I think that the Flex forum is a fine place to post your issues.  And I would simply say this:

"I want to develop an app for the Samsung Captivate.  What are the issues with ...?  Do you have experience with ...?  Do you know solutions for ...?"

That's likely to stimulate interesting responses.

Keep me informed!

Oz

Galgal Systems - Semantic website enhancement tools.

• 2. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
            flashrelief

Greg, I have the same questions you have...have you found any answers to this?

• 4. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
              flashrelief Level 1

That's great...another question: When developing for Air for Anroid do you need to be able to side-load apps?

I know this is disabled on AT&T phones - including the Cativate.

• 5. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                SpaghettiCoder Level 3

http://androidcommunity.com/att-android-owners-can-now-side-load-apps-20100722/

If worse comes to worse...Google has developer phones available.

Adobe Project Hero looks interesting...

• 6. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                  David_F57 Level 5

Hi Guys,

I'm successfully using flash based apps on a A Samsung Galaxy S with the latest 'leaked' froyo rom, there is plenty of info on how to update the various Galaxy S based devices to Froyo in the XDA forums, samsung are starting to role out official upgrades from mid OCtober so its not to far off for Canadian/US telco's.

Captivate forums

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=706

Galaxy S forums

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656

David

• 7. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                    SpaghettiCoder Level 3

How is the Captivate...still looking at getting one, not available to Canadians just yet.

You have/had any other smart phones you can compare it to?

• 8. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                      flashrelief Level 1

I don't have the Captivate yet. I'm still deciding. I have an iPhone and want to

switch to Android but need to stay on AT&T.

I have heard good things about the Captivate though.

• 9. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                        rtalton Level 4

Hi, the following comments apply to Sprint's HTC EVO 4G, with Froyo 2.2, which I am using for Android app development using the Android SDK...

@Greg
                        Not sure how Flex will interface with devices for testing. I'd like to know this also.

The Android SDK allows you to load compiled (.apk) apps directly onto the device for testing. Or, you can copy the apk onto the device using a USB cable and then install it from the SD card using a file manager like ASTRO. The SDK also allows you to set up an emulator to mimic any Android OS version in software for testing your apps.

developer info: http://developer.android.com/index.html

@ozDiGennaro:
                        AT&T has no say over the Android marketplace content. Any Android dev can get apps on it.
                        see: http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/publishing.html

I don't know when ATT will update their Android phones to 2.2; this is up to the individual carriers. Eventually they should (?).

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Android-2-2-Upgrade-Captivate-or-in-general/td-p /1992573

I can tell you that so far Sprint has been great with updating their EVO model very quickly, with no mucking about and crippling features. The EVO has everything and I can't wait to see what Adobe offers for Android devs to take advantage of its features.

My opinion:

Sprint/Verizon currently seem way more committed than ATT to Android. ATT seems like they want to offer an Android phone or two to hedge their iPhone bets, but they aren't promoting them much compared to the iPhone.

• 10. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                          David_F57 Level 5

@ rtalton - you will be able load apk's directly from the flashbuilder ide on to phone, there is a lot happening with android and flex and as of Max 2010 you will get the chance see just what flashbuilder will offer in its next release especially when it comes to mobile development.

@spaghetticoder - As far as android phones are concerned I think that the samsung Galaxy S and its rebranded (provider) versions are at the top of the heap, I've played with a few pre-froyo android devices and the samsung just eats them alive. Its an incredible phone. As a side note apple are 0 for 3 when it comes to consumer choice when 3 friends of mine that had iphones dumped them after playing with the Galaxy S (2 x Iphone 3 and one that had his iPhone 4 for only 2 weeks). If you want the captivate see if they have a 16gb version available.

David

• 11. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                            SpaghettiCoder Level 3

Choice is good up to a point.

Apple = no flash, but a standard display/layout

Android = lots of variety but the fragmentation is a pain to develop for don't you think?  Flash works on android hooray, but only on 2.2, phones!  Then you have the problem with diff processors, different screen sizes different layouts. It's like developing in HTML for different browser headache.

Windows 7 phone development looks really nice, standard display size, processor and a really nice development enviroment because of Visual Studio...Eclipse with a android sdk is laughable...the only problem with windows 7 phone is no one uses it and doesn't have flash either?

Blackberry, lots of different models, and no flash support...but it does have a keyboard.

• 12. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                              rtalton Level 4

@David F57

I'll be waiting to hear what Adobe has to offer during MAX 2010. I hope they release Hero soon. Thanks for the info.

BTW, my EVO is even more awesom-er than the Galaxy S. Just sayin'.  ;-)

• 13. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                rtalton Level 4

@SpaghettiCoder

I'm not finding Android a pain to develop for at all. The learning curve is similar to Flex, and a lot of those skills are transferrable. I don't consider the variety of Android handsets available as fragmenting the market. A good Flex analogy would be: "which version of Flash do you want to target"? The Android SDK / Eclipse combo is very nice and I have no issues with it. Within a few months, most Android handsets being sold should have Foyo 2.2, and as the current two-year contracts expire, I believe most people will choose a Android-powered handset with Froyo. Even my iPhone-addicted friends are seeing the benefits of Android over iOS. Certainly when I flip out the EVO's kickstand and call up a YouTube video on the 4.3" screen they get a little envious. And when I connect to the 4G network,and show them the difference between 3G & 4G speeds using the FCC's standard test (Ookla, also available on iPhone so you can directly compare) they really start bluesing. iPhone has competition now. Choice is great for the marketplace! Apple now has to play catch-up for a change. And whatever great new features they come up with, Android will offer that also and twice as fast to the marketplace, IMHO.

The Android SDK handles different layouts, screen resolutions and hardware differences nicely, and for the most part, automatically. So this is not a huge concern for devs. I don't see the comparison to the browser wars at all. Google have this figured out. The testing I'm doing now is bearing this out. I was concerned, yes, but not so much anymore. It's a different paradigm altogether and Android best practices ensure your app will look nice on any screen size/resolution. Download the SDK and check it out yourself. It's all free.

Re: Windows Phone 7--I wish MS well, but it's probably too little, too late. I too use VS, .NET, SQL Server etc. and I enjoy the software. But WP7 is going to be limited to enterprise, most likely. Gartner predicts in 2014, WP7 will only have 4% market share. Android: 30%, iOS: 15%.

IMO, start getting prepared for Android development by using the SDK and Eclipse. You'll learn all the fundamentals. Then when Hero is released, let's see what it has to offer and go from there. I think Adobe will be well positioned get the Android dev business.

• 14. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                  David_F57 Level 5

@rtalton

The EVO looks like a great device, I couldn't wait around (for its availability) as I needed a device for testing with 'hero' so Galaxy was at the top of the heap for 3g phones and well priced (I don't like contracts). The bigger screen formats are the go its amazing how quicky you hate all phones with tiny little 3.5/3.7" displays. I'm waiting for my Galaxy Tab that should be exciting to test air apps on(7" display and its a full phone as well).

David

• 15. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                    rtalton Level 4

Cool! I agree with you re: the screen sizes. And I'd like to test drive the Galaxy Tab, also!

• 16. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                      Devtron Level 3

Why must you go through AT&T?

You can buy Android devices without cell phone companies involved....

• 17. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                        rtalton Level 4

@David_F57

I looked at a Galaxy Tab yesterday at Sprint. I thought it was nice. Our youngster, though, was absolutely drooling. I might be "forced" to purchase one as she carries a lot of clout in the family.

@Gregory

Have you found anything further re: AT&T's plans to update the Samsung Captivate to 2.2?

• 18. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I just ordered a Samsung Captivate from Amazon wireless.

I'm done a few more Google searches for more info on 2.2 and Captivate, but no conclusive answers.

• 19. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                            Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Our family plan is with AT&T.

• 20. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                              MrWodahs

I have the captivate also and i am able to say this much,

1. We will get 2.2 sometime during december

2. Use the sdk to put apps on your phone, its really easy, just google "how to put non market apps on XXXXXX phone" I'm too lazy to link you a link lol, or you can go to the XDA fourms. By the way it is best to use the official updates because the non official ones can brick your phone.

I hope I helped lol.

• 21. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                                SpaghettiCoder Level 3

Aren't you so excited that 2.2 will be out in december so they say...

good thing they just announced 2.3 lol...*sigh*

• 22. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2
                                                  rtalton Level 4

Update! For anyone who hasn't tried Hero yet.

After finishing up my first Android app using their SDK, I downloaded Flex Hero & Flash Builder Burrito to check out the differences. Since I didn't have to parse the results of my .NET web service by hand (Android SDK limitation), I was able to get the data into the app quickly. My development time will be way less using Burrito. This alone sold me on Burrito. Android has no built-in way of using SOA, and has no simple way of parsing results from their recommended REST-ful services way of retrieving data. In Flex you can do all this with a couple lines of code. I was shocked that Google hasn't addressed this, as it is a major PITA and really slows down development.

[A tip for anyone heading down the SOAP road with Android SDK: check out WSClient++ from NeuroSpeech. Saved the day for me. http://wsclient.neurospeech.com/]

The only drawbacks so far:

1) Burrito was unable to connect to/import my .NET web services over HTTPS or HTTP, throwing these errors:

using HTTPS:--"There was an error during service introspection.
                                                  WSDLException: faultCode=OTHER_ERROR: Unable to resolve imported document at 'https://www.removed/the/actual/url.asmx'.: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target"

using HTTP:--"There was an error during service introspection.
                                                  WSDLException: faultCode=PARSER_ERROR: Problem parsing 'http:://www.removed/the/actual/url.asmx'.: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The element type "p" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</p>"."

2) File sizes: The Android SDK app version is 399 K. The Burrito version is 835 K, even though I did not duplicate all the views & functionality of the Android SDK version.

3) Cannot debug on my EVO: Burrito requires a Wi-Fi connection, which I am prevented from setting up at my workplace for security reasons. Hopefully, Adobe can set this up over USB.

4) Styling: Since I spent zero time trying to duplicate the look of my Android app's extensive styling. Burrito should be able to do it; it will likely just be a different way of doing things.

5) MobileIconItemRenderer seems less capable than Android's ListView for complex data display, but I didn't spend much time with the MobileIconItemRenderer's itemRenderer to say anything definite. I'm hoping MobileIconItemRenderer gets more default settings so we can easily implement two & three-line renderers, with different style settings for each line. Android SDK seems way ahead here with its default item renderer choices.

6) Android device emulator: Needs work--D-pad, other Android controls.

7) AIR file size: Lots of grumbling at the Android market about the 16 Megabyte download of AIR. This will be a major downside to deploying Burrito apps on the Market!

8) Should provide a built-in "busy" animation like Android's. A necessity, really.

Pluses:

+Even though it seems like a lot of Android devs end up using a singleton (application object) to store all data for sharing between views, I was very happy to see Burrito's createReturnObject() & viewActivate() methods. This should work perfectly for simple use cases and avoid having to create singletons for storing data.

++Burrito's design view is wa-aa-AY (three syllables) better then Eclipse's IDE using the ADT plug-in.

+++Typical Adobe attention to the details makes developing much simpler.

Bravo, Hero!

• 23. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2
                                                    SpaghettiCoder Level 3

@rtalton

So any app developed with Burrito, requires the user to have AIR installed on the phone?

• 24. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2
                                                      rtalton Level 4

Yes, that is correct for Android devices.

• 25. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2
                                                        SpaghettiCoder Level 3

So if it's basically adobe air, then there is no voice recognition/voice api that android has support for?

Have you looked at MotoDev, it seems to be nicer than ADK...

• 26. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2
                                                          rtalton Level 4

AIR for Android does have a microphone API. Android has speech recognition built-in.

• 27. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2
                                                            Shongrunden Adobe Employee

Hi rtalton,

Thanks for your feedback.  Just a couple quick notes on some of your points above:

3) Cannot debug on my EVO: Burrito requires a Wi-Fi connection, which I am prevented from setting up at my workplace for security reasons. Hopefully, Adobe can set this up over USB.

>> USB debugging will be enabled by the time Burrito is released.

5) MobileIconItemRenderer seems less capable than Android's ListView for complex data display, but I didn't spend much time with the MobileIconItemRenderer's itemRenderer to say anything definite. I'm hoping MobileIconItemRenderer gets more default settings so we can easily implement two & three-line renderers, with different style settings for each line. Android SDK seems way ahead here with its default item renderer choices.

>> MobileIconItemRenderer currently supports a label text and a message text.  For the Hero release the message text will reflow automatically and you will be able to control the styles on the label and message text separately.  To get three text fields each with separate styles will require subclassing.

6) Android device emulator: Needs work--D-pad, other Android controls.

>> The arrows and enter keys on your keyboard should act the same as the 5-way controls in the emulator.

• 28. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2
                                                              rtalton Level 4

Thanks Shongrundren. That's all good news. I'll try those keys for the emulator.

• 29. Re: Samsung Captivate Phone and Android 2.2 ???
                                                                rtalton Level 4

Gregory, you probably already heard the news: Samsung is finally updating the Captivate to Froyo.

Took them long enough!