14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 10:55 AM by Reynolds (Mark)

The Curves Adjustment

em_T_hed

I feel could use an 'option' to add a point that is a corner allowing for some local contrast options much like the HDR tone mapping curves.  I'm finding that even in my RAW processor I'm usually lowering the global contrast and using more local contrast these days while not going for a tone mapped look/feel.

• 1. Re: The Curves Adjustment
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

You could make your general curve, then switch to »Draw to modify the Curve« and shift-click to create straight lines – but this may of course be insufficient for your intentions.

curvesCorners_lay.jpg

• 2. Re: The Curves Adjustment
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
            I'm finding that even in my RAW processor I'm usually lowering the global contrast and using more local contrast these days while not going for a tone mapped look/feel.

Hard edges in Curves like you asked for, and C. has correctly demonstrated, will do very far from what you are assuming. It will create posterized breaks in tone, damaging image quality. It has other image science uses, but not Photographic Retouching ones.

There are many tools in Photoshop like Shadow/Highlight, Exposure and Blending that you would be better exploring. These all create different tonal results to straight Curves.

• 3. Re: The Curves Adjustment
              em_T_hed Level 1

I'm not looking to make straight lines.  I would like to be able to set a point/dot on the curve that will act as a corner.  This way I could localize the effect to only a portion of the graph.  Similar to how photoshop works within their curves setup for tone mapping.  I feel this would be a nice option within the curves adjustment.

Not looking to do exposure blending.  This request has nothing to do with HDR/Exposure blending.  More to localize the global effect so to speak.  And if the corners couldn't localize enough, then start masking/layer mask.

• 4. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                retouchMOJO Level 1

You can set anchor point on a curve already, that's how you make it 

curve.

• 5. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                  Similar to how photoshop works within their curves setup for tone mapping.  I feel this would be a nice option within the curves adjustment.

This is the Photoshop forum. Which forum do you think you are on?

• 6. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                    em_T_hed Level 1

This looks like Photoshop to me.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/4998926132_ceb582228a_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/4998319503_498be07001_z.jpg

The point selected in this last image may be an anchor but it isn't the same as making it a corner as in the above image.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/4998926402_25c964d973_z.jpg

• 7. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                      retouchMOJO Level 1

Nothing in these images is a new feature.... the curves represented in 

your examples are completely attainable in Photoshop's Curves panels.

• 8. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                        Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Still got no idea what you are really asking for.

What you have illustrated there is that you are opening the new HDR mapping feature in CS5 - on what is an 8 bit image? or are you using the Merge to HDR feature, which combines different exposures?

I can only assume that what you are saying is that you would like Photoshops standard 8 bit Curve adjustment to behave in the same way as this new feature - which I suspect to be some kind  of converted 16 or 32 bit data curve?

• 9. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                          em_T_hed Level 1

No.  You are wrong.  Mr. Lamv

• 10. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                            em_T_hed Level 1

Everything you are mentioning is irrelevent.

The option to make an anchor point into a corner point as PS allows during the HDR Toning as this isn't available in the current Curves Adjustment.

• 11. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                              em_T_hed Level 1

I wasn't aware that this 'Feature Request' forum was for 'comletely new' features.  Are you saying that I can't ask for one feature in the program to be implemented elsewhere in the program?

Whether it happens or not is another issue.  This is a request forum and I have made my request. Mind you not a question on how to use the software as you so much are assuming.

• 12. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                                retouchMOJO Level 1

Picture 2.png

Mine on the left, yours o the right. Am I missing something here?

• 13. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                                  Gyno-jiz Level 5

Em_T:

A natural reaction to any feature request is to post solutions, workarounds, or just point out how you can already do the request in the software. I find this the best place to learn about PS, as I try and workaround the poster's problem. Of course sometimes this gets ugly.

Your request of course belong here. Nowhere else but here.

As far as I understand your request, you cannot create a corner node in a PS adjustment layer curve. Why you would want to do this, I have no idea. That's why I'm here.

Michael, his screenshot (that you've matched) was to illustrate how you cannot do what he needs (set a corner node in a curve) in PS. You have confirmed his position.

• 14. Re: The Curves Adjustment
                                    Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Everything you are mentioning is irrelevent.

The option to make an anchor point into a corner point as PS allows during the HDR Toning as this isn't available in the current Curves Adjustment.

None of what I said is irrelevant.

After much back and forth, we eventually worked out that you are asking for the ability to use a combination of corner points and standard points in the standard Photoshop Curve. Which you didn't take the time to explain. This has implications on image quality - and does depend on whether you are editing in 8,16 or 32 bit. The danger of introducing that into the standard Curve is that it would destroy 8 bit images, most likely mainly by those … who don't have a clue what they are going.