2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 5:16 AM by Brad.Cooper

Reader fails to link to HTML file with relative file spec.

Brad.Cooper

I am using a Win XP PC and Adobe Reader 9.3.4

Adobe Reader says it cannot find a file even though it gives the correct file path and spec in the error message??

In LaTeX I am using the hyperref package to produce a pdf document called questions.pdf

\usepackage[pdftex]{hyperref}

This works...

CASE 1) My questions.pdf contains the following instruction.

\mbox{\href{run:./answers.html}{\Huge\textcolor{magenta}{$\bigstar$}}}Solutions

The file and directory arrangement is ...

/foobar/questions.pdf
      /foobar/answers.html

The user clicks on questions.pdf, then within that pdf document, when the user clicks on the magenta star (the link), answers.html starts up in the browser. Perfect!!

This fails...

CASE 2) My questions.pdf contains the following instruction. This time answers.html is in a subdirectory relative to questions.html

\mbox{\href{run:./exercise1/answers.html}{\Huge\textcolor{magenta}{$\bigstar$}}}Solutions

The file and directory arrangement is...

/foobar/questions.pdf
      /foobar/exercise1/answers.html

The user clicks on questions.pdf, then within that pdf document, when the user clicks on the magenta star (the link), answers.html cannot be found.

The frustrating thing is that Adobe Reader gives the correct file specification in the error message when it says it cannot find the file!!??

I have tried enclosing the file spec within various quotes etc., but I cannot get this relative file spec to find the HTML file. I would like this to work so I can apply some structure to the file layouts for this job.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
      Brad