4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2007 3:06 PM by _eyesonly

Which language to pursue? C++, Java, Active X??

kmdguy
      Hi all,

I'm a intermedia/expert lingo programmer and have worked with lingo for 10 years.

However, I would like to write a program for my own use that extracts real time financial data from my broker. My broker provides an API to get at their data and "talk" to their computers. They offer C++ Socket, Java Socket, DDI, and Active X APIs for use in getting their data and also for initiating commands to their servers. I would really like to write my program using Director Lingo since that is what my expertise is in.

However, I'm not too familiar with C++, Java Sockets, DDI or Active X within Director and was looking for some feedback about the best method to approach for this within Director. Does anyone have any opinions which road I should focus on such as C++ within Director, or Java Socket within Director or Active X? I'm going to have to experiment and learn how to get Director to talk with any of these choices but I thought I better try to get some feedback as to which choice might provide the best way within Director as well as which might be the easiest to work with in terms of coding.

I'm open to purchasing any plug ins necessary to help out as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Dan
        • 1. Re: Which language to pursue? C++, Java, Active X??
          Level 7
          Director has an ActiveX xtra already, and there is the
          ActiveCompanionSet which also allows communication with ActiveX sprites.
          There is Glu32 which allows communication with dll files (C++, ...) and
          INM have/had an xtra called Moka which allows communication with Java
          (though I haven't used it so can't comment as to its functionality)
          • 2. Re: Which language to pursue? C++, Java, Active X??
            Level 7
            In addition to Seans comment, Adobe has an XDK for ... Xtra Development

Never done anything with it, but it containes (contained) a VC++ project
            good to go.

--
            ----------
            Manno Bult
            http://www.aloft.nl
            • 3. Re: Which language to pursue? C++, Java, Active X??
              Level 7
              Have a look at:
              http://xtrema.rtr.gr/cDown/files/Xtrema_v1.0.473.0.rar

You can add custom handlers to the included c++ skeleton project, which will
              be directly callable by lingo.
              Also includes instructions for downloading and installing the free visual
              c++ 2005 express edition.
              After you have everything (vc, psdk) installed, adding lingo callable code
              should be a matter of minutes. Even if you have little or no c++ experience
              that is.

Tested with vc6, vc2005 and vc2005 express.
              Director values supported: strings, unicode strings (xtrema string object)
              integers, floats and doubles.

If you need any help with this, you can contact me directly to the mail
              you'll find on the site.

"kmdguy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:f83dcp$phf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I'm a intermedia/expert lingo programmer and have worked with lingo for 10
              > years.
              >
              > However, I would like to write a program for my own use that extracts real
              > time financial data from my broker. My broker provides an API to get at
              > their
              > data and "talk" to their computers. They offer C++ Socket, Java Socket,
              > DDI,
              > and Active X APIs for use in getting their data and also for initiating
              > commands to their servers. I would really like to write my program using
              > Director Lingo since that is what my expertise is in.
              >
              > However, I'm not too familiar with C++, Java Sockets, DDI or Active X
              > within
              > Director and was looking for some feedback about the best method to
              > approach
              > for this within Director. Does anyone have any opinions which road I
              > should
              > focus on such as C++ within Director, or Java Socket within Director or
              > Active
              > X? I'm going to have to experiment and learn how to get Director to talk
              > with
              > any of these choices but I thought I better try to get some feedback as to
              > which choice might provide the best way within Director as well as which
              > might
              > be the easiest to work with in terms of coding.
              >
              > I'm open to purchasing any plug ins necessary to help out as well.
              >
              > Any advice is greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Dan
              >

• 4. Re: Which language to pursue? C++, Java, Active X??
                _eyesonly
                There is the VBScript Xtra available at http://www.xtramania.com/Products/VbScriptXtra/

It costs $75 to register for use per COM/activeX object or $400 for unlimited number of progIDs
                I have created a proof of concept that worked no problem with a winsock wrapper activex control using it.
                This might be the way to go if you have no C++/Java experience since Visual Basic and Lingo are both BASIC variants it would be relatively easy to translate VB example code to Lingo.

The object browser xtra available for free is worth the download alone as it exposes all ActiveX control methods from within the Director IDE.

I'm not sure if VBSCript xtra is shockwave safe though