7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2010 4:48 AM by nikki605

PDF iFilter 9 Not Working In Windows 7 x64

nikki605

When I first started playing around with pdf ifilters over a month ago, I had Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard version 8.2.4 installed.  It is what shipped with my ScanSnap S510 that I bought about 1-1/2 years ago.  At some point, I read that for Win7 x64, I needed Adobe Reader 9, so I installed version 9.3.4.  Then I read, NO, don't install different versions at the same time.  AARRGGHH!

So, on Sept 10, I uninstalled both versions and only put back Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard version 8.2.4.  That is how I am set up now.  Here are the steps I took today.  Maybe someone can see either something I did wrong or find a step I missed.

1. Installed the Adobe ifilter - PDFFilter64installer.msi

2. Opened Indexing Options-->Advanced-->File Types and checked the pdf and pdfxml boxes (next to the pdf file type, it does say "PDF Filter")

3. Under, "How should this file be indexed?" I made sure "Index Properties and File Contents" was selected.

4. Opened System Properties-->Environment Variables and edited the Path Variable so it now contains - %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Windo wsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Lenovo;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Ulead Systems\MPEG;C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Access Connections\;C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms\bin

5. Rebooted

6. Opened Indexing Options-->Advanced and clicked on the "Rebuild" button at which point it started indexing.

It indexed 39,705 files in about 30 minutes - not a good sign, too quick.  Of those, 4,365 are pdf files.  My pdf files are a mix of documents downloaded from company websites (like monthly statements), scanned and OCR'ed with my ScanSnap S510; scanned with an HP AIO and OCR'ed with the HP software; scanned on an HP AIO using Acrobat 8 Standard and OCR'ed with Acrobat 8 Standard.

I tried a test.  There are at least 28 pdf files, downloaded from 2 different financial websites, that contain the very unique last name of my financial advisor.  These are NOT scanned and OCR'ed paper pages.  I opened several of the files individually with Acrobat 8 Standard and made sure I could search & find his name within the documents - his name was found every time.  I closed the documents and Acrobat 8 Standard.  I clicked on the Windows Start button and typed his last name.  It found 9 Word documents, a whole bunch of email messages - and 1 stinking pdf file!?!

What is wrong?

Any & all ideas, thoughts & suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!