15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 5:31 PM by mike_mike_motorbike

After effects crash

mike_mike_motorbike Level 1

I have a 2010 mac pro with 32 gigs of ram.  I had a crash during a preview that caused it to create a crash file, which has "data missing in file," but now all the other versions of my files won't load.  They just sit at 0% loaded...

This is my animated short film, which i've been working on for a year, and if I lose this file, I lose my money and support if i can't get up to speed.  I understand that the safety file is screwed, but why would my other versions be not loading???

• 1. Re: After effects crash
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Clean out any caches and trash the prefs. Something is referencing external data or configuration and that part got tainted by the crash. Also check your third-party plug-ins. They might have gotten damaged somehow and AE simply hangs because it tries to initialize one such damaged plug-in (Optical Flares for instance does take its time to initialize and may cause hangs/ crashes, if something is wrong...).

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After effects crash

Hi Mylenium,

thanks for the help.  I've trashed prefs and also restarted.  Every time i have to force quite, it then fails to load past "initalizing media core," and i have to restart to get it to load again.

None of my AE files are loading now, which is really freaking me out.

I do have optical flares installed, and if that's the cause of my problems i'll be mortified, though i didn't have that plugin running when i had this problem.

• 3. Re: After effects crash

to update...  basically everything in that file drawer will only open to 0% and then hangs.  Files from a different project will load.

• 4. Re: After effects crash

and now when i load files from that folder it's saying "unexpected data type," and "strange situation," then it's crashing and hanging

• 5. Re: After effects crash

So, I saw on another post that it was "quicktime32 server" that was causing some hanging...  Now when i force quit that, it tells me all my MooVs are unsupported but it loads... WTF?

• 6. Re: After effects crash
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of After Effects? What operating system? What third-party effects? What third-party codecs?

If this project is urgent, and you want to leap past troubleshooting on this computer, try installing After Effects on another computer and opening the project there. Does it work?

• 7. Re: After effects crash

Hi Todd,

The same thing happens on my other mac...

basically, i'll launch the file if i force quit quicktime 32 in the activity manager...  I've tried to dump everything i can, but not sure what it would be.  It seems to be only this project file and all previous versions, so there's obviously something wrong with the quicktime files in it.  Other projects with quicktime files seem to load ok.

Any ideas?  What about trashing the offending .movs?

• 8. Re: After effects crash

I've trashed what I thought was the offending file, and still having the same problem...  What about re-installing QT?

• 9. Re: After effects crash
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Read this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2801475#2801475

Don't just read part of it. Read the whole thread, especially every post by me or Seth. There are multiple possible causes of this issue, and I don't want you to try one, have it fail and then not continue on to the next one.

My suspicion is that you have a bad third-party QuickTime codec that is causing the problem (discussed by Seth in post #22 in the thread mentioned above).

• 10. Re: After effects crash
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

BTW, you never answered my questions about operating system and After Effects: What exact version numbers?

• 11. Re: After effects crash

Hey Todd,

I read through the whole thing.  The firewall isn't an issue because i'm on a mac, and (I think) I tried all the other things like taking out all the quicktime codecs etc...  I don't have any xvid or perian or anything on my mac pro.

Right now I'm trying to use pacifist to re-install Quicktime as it only seems to want to play some of my QT files...

I'm on 10.6.4, and on the latest version of AE CS5 10.0.1

12 core mac pro 32 gigs ram

• 12. Re: After effects crash

I've now done a clean install of my whole system.  My AE file still hangs when I load it, and continues to load when i force quit the Adobe 32 server.  But now it's saying unexpected data type and won't go away.  Still can't open my file.

I'm really really screwed.

• 13. Re: After effects crash
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> But now it's saying unexpected data type and won't go away.

This is occurring because you are opening a project that contains a third-party plug-in on a computer on which that plug-in isn't installed. To get past this error, install the plug-ins used in this project. If you don't have the plug-ins, you can get past this error by doing the following:

1) Press Caps Lock before starting After Effects (to prevent After Effects from trying to render anything).

2) Search for missing effects in each composition.

3) Reset or remove _each_ instance of the missing effect.

4) Save a version of the project.

5) Quit After Effects.

6) Open the newly saved version.

This should get you past the "Unexpected data type" error.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: After effects crash

Thanks Todd,

I think it's Cameral Mapper that's doing it...  I'm installing now.  I think it's the only one i'm missing

Sorry to be a nutcase, but this is about 5 months work we're talking about....

Will update.

• 15. Re: After effects crash

so i think this is working...  thanks for all your help...

the major problem ended up being an f-ed up quicktime...  which is why it sorta opened when I forced quit the "adobe QT32" process...  Guess i didn't need a clean sweep, but it never hurts right?

listen, is there some kind  of AE safe mode that unhooks all the videos for troubleshooting?