6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 2:12 PM by s2ledere

Filters for video and FPS on mobile devices

s2ledere

Hi,

I tried to apply a filter to a video on mobile phones and had a strange effect:

When I apply the filter to a 24 FPS source video the resulting frame-rate after applying the filter drops to about 7 FPS. But if I use a 8 FPS source video the frame-rate is even lower at about 3-4 FPS. I expected an higher, or at least equal resulting framer-rate with the 8 FPS source video. What's the reason for this behavior?

I use the Flash Player 10.1 for Android 2.2 and the Google Nexus One.

Greetings

Stefan

• 1. Re: Filters for video and FPS on mobile devices
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

what do you think is unexpected?

• 2. Re: Filters for video and FPS on mobile devices
            s2ledere Level 1

I tried two video Sources and applied a filter on them:

24 FPS Source --> about 7 FPS playback with filter

8 FPS Source --> about 3-4 FPS playback with filter

In my opinion the 8 FPS source video should have a better playback performance because the filter is applied to fewer frames than with the 24 FPS source vide. Or is my assumption wrong?

Thx for help!

• 3. Re: Filters for video and FPS on mobile devices

i don't know what your assumption is but it looks like frame rate drops significantly when applying a filter and that's exactly what you should expect.

the fact that both frame rates dropped a comparable percentage also is no surprise and the fact that the lower frame rate source had a somewhat decreased percentage drop is no surprise.

• 4. Re: Filters for video and FPS on mobile devices
                s2ledere Level 1

As one can see the device is capable to calculate 7 FPS with the filter. So if I use a source video with a different or lower framerate, the device should be able to do the 7 frames per sec. as well.

My target:

e.g. as one can se the device can caluclulate 7 FPS with the filter applied. So i reduce the framerate of the source video to 7 FPS and then the input and output framerate should be equal.

• 5. Re: Filters for video and FPS on mobile devices

there is no "calculation" of the frame rate.  flash plays at the highest rate the client can handle, up to, the designated frame rate.  if the client can't handle the designated frame rate, the client, not flash, is the determining factor for the rate played.

it's expected the frame rate will vary depending on the client load from moment to moment.  adding a filter adds substantially to the client load.  you would expect the observable frame rate to change each second if you alternately applied and removed that filter each second.

• 6. Re: Filters for video and FPS on mobile devices
                    s2ledere Level 1

I know that there is no "calculation" of the Framerate! You do not understand my problem: if the client is capable to calculate 7 frames=images per second using the filter, why it only calculates 4 images per second if I take exaclty the same source video stream and just reduce the delivered framerate to the device of it from 24 to 8.

So with regards to your anwser: the highest rate the client can handle is about 7 frame per second when the filter is applied.

And just for the understanding: I have a video object who displays the video stream from a streaming server. On this video object i apply the filter one time and afterwards each frame is processed applying this filter. So there is no alternately applying and removing of filters.