12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2010 5:06 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?

Aidan Bell Level 1

I'm currently using CS4 Master Suite. I'm about to upgrade to CS5 Master Suite, however it's not an upgrade package but the whole thing. Can anyone tell me; can I simply install CS4 MS over the top or must I, as I suspect, completely uninstall CS4 MS before installing CS5 MS?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can install CS5 next to CS4.

• 2. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

CS5 will not install OVER CS4, but as Ann says, they can coexist nicely.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
              Aidan Bell Level 1

Many thanks. 'twas as I had expected; I'll have to do a complete uninstall, cleanup and fresh install of CS5. I just wanted to double-check because it would have been infuriating to have found otherwise after the event!
              Cheers.

• 4. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I understand. I hate having little "surprises," after the event, and try to keep those to a minimum!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
                  Powered by Design Level 4

Just make sure that if you ever do a reformat of your computer that you put CS4 back on first and then add CS5.

I always like having both running just in case i need to go back for any reason.

GLenn

• 6. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
                    Aidan Bell Level 1

I'm afraid that one baffles me!
                    Since I'm going to remove all traces of CS4 before installing CS5, it will be as if I had simply purchased CS5 in the first place. Why would I therefore ever want to reinstall CS4?

• 7. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I misread your response initially too.

Most of us keep CS4 and CS5 (and CS3 in some cases).  Your response was clear: "'twas as I had expected; I'll have to do a complete uninstall, cleanup and fresh install of CS5."  But it is not the typical response, so we're still going to help you have them both!

• 8. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
                        Powered by Design Level 4

I thought you wanted to keep both.

Maybe your first post your meant to say CS5 instead of CS4.

The over the top part is what i was talking about.

You would not want to install CS5 and then later install CS4 over the top of CS5

GLenn

Aidan Bell wrote:

I'm currently using CS4 Master Suite. I'm about to upgrade to CS5 Master Suite, however it's not an upgrade package but the whole thing. Can anyone tell me; can I simply install CS4 MS over the top or must I, as I suspect, completely uninstall CS4 MS before installing CS5 MS?

Many thanks.

• 9. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here's one reason for keeping CS4 around, just as an example:

Premiere Pro CS4 can read FLV files encoded with the Sorenson Spark codec. Premiere Pro CS5 can't. (Adobe didn't renew the license with Sorenson for CS5.)

There are several little reasons like that. Hard disk space is cheap, so there's no reason to delete the old version.

I keep CS3, CS4, and CS5 Master Collection on the same machines.

Never install an old version _after_ the new version. The recent installer will respect the old software; the old installer will stomp all over the new software.

• 10. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Todd,

I am with you. I keep the "old friend" installed, until the new one is "second nature" for me. Years ago, I dumped an earlier version of PS, and got that dreaded call, "we have some changes, and the courier is at your door. We have the printer on standby and he's costing me big $'s." Oh "stuff!" While I had used the new version for a few weeks, I was still hunting and pecking, and was not ready to do things instantly with it yet. Learned a very valuable lesson. While I feel that Adobe does improve things, version to version, some Tools move about, and their settings change. I always keep the old (and maybe even the older) around, until I feel 100% comfortable with the new. With PrPro, there is also the concern for older Projects, that might, or might not, translate 100% to the newer version.

Regarding PS, I once had PS 4.0, PS 7.0.1 and CS on the same machine. The older was needed for the way that it did one particular job, for one special client, and for her client, while 7.0.1 was the version that I was moving from, and CS was the "new kid on the block." Adobe makes this so very easy.

I might have missed something, like PageMill 3 installing OVER PageMill 2, but in my experiences, Adobe does NOT install over any previous versions. Actually, I hate programs, that DO install OVER earlier versions.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
                              Aidan Bell Level 1

I'm glad to have sparked an interesting discussion on whether to keep, and how many, prior versions of software when installing new.
                              In my initial question I was purely addressing the technicality of installing version 2 onto a machine which already has version 1 installed. I have some programmes which, when a new version comes out, you just install and it automatically removes or updates the currently installed version as applicable. Adobe programs are clearly different and will happily coexist side by side on the same machine. My use of CS4 is not intense or professional enough that I would miss aspects once upgraded, therefore I'll be happy with a complete CS4 uninstall and fresh CS5 install. But here's a thing; is there a way for me to keep my preferences? Is there even a universal command that will do this for me or will have to go through, program by program, saving preference files, and if I do this can I then just drop those preference files back once I have installed CS5?

• 12. Re: Need I uninstall CS4 prior to installing CS5?
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> is there a way for me to keep my preferences?

No.