13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 7:52 PM by 1234ardubbayoo

AVI import trouble from camtasia file

kaizer1981

i have recorded a video off my computer using camtasia, and want to edit it in premier cs5. In camtasia i saved the file as an .AVI. This file plays fine using VLC player, but when i import it into my premier project it only shows up as an audio file, no video is present. thanks in advance for any help given.

• 1. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Welcome to the forum.

Pr CS5 is 64-bit.  To see AVI files made with the TechSmith codec, you need a 64-bit version of the codec.  I don't know if TechSmith has released one yet.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Instead of using the Techsmith codec you can save your avi with e.g. Lagarith 64 bits, which can be edited in Pro without a problem.

• 3. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
              kaizer1981 Level 1

can u describe what process i need to go through to change the format of the avi file please.

• 4. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file

Well i am still on version 3 so assume this is also possible in higher versions.

When saving the file to avi one can choose the codec.

My version says in Post Save options: Produce my video in a shareable format.

Save as avi with avi encoding options.

On has to install the Lagarith 64 codec in advance.

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

• 5. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might prove useful, when using Camtasia files. However, I think that much of that info came from Jeff Bellune, or Ann Bens to begin with, so you already have two valued contributors working with you on this thread.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
                    kaizer1981 Level 1

Well i am still on version 3 so assume this is also possible in higher versions.

When saving the file to avi one can choose the codec.

My version says in Post Save options: Produce my video in a shareable format.

Save as avi with avi encoding options.

Version 3 of which program are you refering too? Camtasia, or premier?

I have already recorded the avi for the project, and just want to make it compatible with CS5 premier. Is that possible using the lag codec program? On my camtasia i cant see any where that allows you to save a file you've recorded with a codec, i just get a dropdown with save as type - avi / camrec. Sorry if im technically retarded just dont know anything about installing codecs

• 7. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
                      kaizer1981 Level 1

also i was hoping not to have to lose quality of the original file since it is for publication on a website and needs to be clear. will i lose quality using the lad codec?

• 8. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file

Lagarith is lossless.

Clic on the the link on the site a gave you before, the Lagarith 64 bits with installer.

A window pops up and click on execute (i think that what is says in English) I have a non-English operating system.

Or if you have already made a recording.

Download Virtual Dub.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/files/virtualdub-win/1.9.10.32839/VirtualDub-1. 9.10.zip/download

No need to install just unzip and click on the last Virtual Dub exe in the list.

Import camtasia file and save as with the Lagarith codec which you selected before under Video/Compression.

• 9. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
                          kaizer1981 Level 1

Thanks for trying to help Ann, i ran a test before doing my main file and found that a 13mb clip (1min 27seconds) was output  at 416mb after being encoded using the lagarith, so if i have an hour long clip its goin to end up ridiculously large. I understand its lossless, but what info can possibly add 33 times as much info to the data??? gonna have to try and get an old copy of premier cs3 i think.

• 10. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
                            Blue_Devil1 Level 2

It is possible she meant Camtasia 3.0 (it's up to 7 now ).  Here's a link I found from a couple of years ago

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/885656#892308

I tried it, but I found out I needed Quicktime Pro (I think about $29) to make it work. (check out the last post in this link).

While this guy was able to edit the .mov file he created in Premiere Pro, I found for some reason when I imported the .mov file into my Prem Pro cs3, it would play from the time line, but the audio and video seemed to be combined into a file that only showed up on the video track of the timeline.  Since he supposedly got it to work, I assumed it was something I was doing wrong .

It might be worth a trial.

John Rich

• 11. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
                              Snarky7D Level 1

Just to add my two cents...

Thanks to Ann Benns for the info on this 64 bit lossless codec. While not perfect it is a huge improvement on just exporting a lossless avi from Camtasia.

For example.

18.5mb Techsmith File - 1 minute

366mb Lagarith - 1 minute (Yellow MPE with GTX 470)

1.89gb Uncompressed AVI - 1 minute

Now don't get me wrong if Techsmith came out with a 64 bit codec that same 18.5mb file could be exported at almost the same size. But as a workaround a 366mb file is still easier to work with than 1.89gb!

Thanks again,

Martin

BTW, I am still using Premiere Pro CS3 (for techsmith) along with CS5 without any problems.

• 12. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
                                kaizer1981 Level 1
                                well i have just finally got premier CS3 installed, and had a go at editing  the originla avi file which i recorded using camtasia 6. however, when i import it  into premier and place it onto a sequence timeline (at least it imports now), it shows up as  really bad quality on the timeline viewer, blurry and without important details like numbers which are all merged togther like the vision of someone who's drunk 20 pints of beer. i just dont know what im doing wrong, anyone else had this problem????

Edit/Delete Message

• 13. Re: AVI import trouble from camtasia file
                                  1234ardubbayoo

Kaizer, I have the same problem.  I export out of Camtasia as AVI and import into Premiere (CS5).  Sometimes the files play fine.  Other times, they play as you describe, blurry/blocky, poor details.  At first, I thought perhaps it was simply the way Premiere plays it back for editing...but it renders out that way too. 

My workaround is to import the file into AfterEffects then render it back out as AVI.  Import the new AVI into Premiere, and the problem is no longer there. 

There must be another solution to this issue???

Also, I've had issues with AVIs out of camtasia only playing partially inside premiere.  My solution to that was to export the file out as quicktime instead of AVI coming out of camtasia.