12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 8:47 PM by the_wine_snob

AVDHC final output?

yagart

My camcorder put out AVDHD files,  so the AVDHD  are then imported into PE.  When PE then burns the production into a blu-ray disk, is it really staying the same in AVDHD (no loss or no more compression)?

• 1. Re: AVDHC final output?
          yagart Level 1

I mean AVCHD.

• 2. Re: AVDHC final output?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on the settings chosen, your BD will either be MPEG-2 HD, or H.264 BD, both of which are compressed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: AVDHC final output?
              yagart Level 1

I read some of the Premiere Elements (PE) instructiosn and it talks about the PE compressing video to mpeg2 or to AVCHD 264.  My camcorder does the compressing to AVCHD 264, so I would be loading compressed AVCHD 264 into PE.

1) Can AVCHD be loaded into PE for editing?

2) Being that the video files are already compressed into AVCHD files,  can PE the burn these edited AVCHD to a blu-Ray disk?

• 4. Re: AVDHC final output?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, Premiere Elements can edit AVCHD video if you've set up your project using the correct AVCHD project preset. (There are four of them to choose from, so check your camcorder's specs to ensure you've selected the right one!)

However, the H.264 file you output from Premiere Elements is not the same file as goes in. Because of the workflow that the current version of Premiere Elements uses, your AVCHD file will be converted and rendered into a hi-def working file before the program re-converts it and re-renders the output as an H.264 file. This is because the program does not edit AVCHD natively.

One other point, just to avoid confusion, the hi-def H.264 output available options available from Premiere Elements is not true AVCHD. It uses the same compression as AVCHD -- but there are other characteristics of AVCHD files that these files do not have.

In short, you can put in an AVCHD and edit it -- but the closest you can output is a hi-def H.264 MP4. Similar, but not quite the same.

• 5. Re: AVDHC final output?
                  yagart Level 1

1) Does it recompress the AVCHD file another time (MPEG-4 AVC H.264)?  If yes,  then if would seem to loss it sharpness due to compressing it a second time?

2) Would Adobe Premiere PRo CS5 do the same thing as Elements,  or better as far as video quality?

• 6. Re: AVDHC final output?

1. Yes. Though, if you are using the correct AVCHD project preset, there should be no visible difference in the MP4s video quality.

2. Yes. This is pretty much the nature of working with AVCHD -- and it's very much as true on a Mac (with Final Cut) as it is on a PC. However, as I said above, you will not see a noticeable change in quality. (Well, depending on what kind of MP4 you're creating, of course. An MP4 can use a variety of compression levels, depending on whether you're creating it for viewing on a computer, over the internet or on a portable device like an iPod or iPhone.)

• 7. Re: AVDHC final output?
                      yagart Level 1

So I import my AVDHC files to elements,  and then it mpeg4 compresses again.  On the Elements mpg4 compression, are there compression settings?

• 8. Re: AVDHC final output?

Yes.

What do you plan to do with this MP4 when it's done? What kind of device do you expect to display it on? That will help determine which settings you use?

Have you read any of my books on Premiere Elements? As I explain there, the settings are created automatically when you select a Share destination (although you can tweak them also).

But, as I say in the books, you really need to start at the end to get to the beginning. Figure out where you're going to display your output and that will determine everything else.

• 9. Re: AVDHC final output?
                          yagart Level 1

I'm using it to to watch on a 1080p hd screen or home movies,  so I want the best quality possible.

So it the AVCHD files go into Elements and is edited and rendered, and it is then recompressed to mpeg4 agian?

When it finally authored and burnt to BD disk, are the files mpeg4?

• 10. Re: AVDHC final output?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

BD can be either MPEG-2 HD, or H.264, both of which are HD, though both of which will need to be Transcoded. Still, with HD original footage, either should be great.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: AVDHC final output?
                              yagart Level 1

I'm leaning a lot.  What do you mean by 'transcoded"?

• 12. Re: AVDHC final output?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

When one has edited footage, and then produces either a DVD, or BD, there will need to be a Transcoding to the final format, for that output.

Hunt