10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2010 11:20 AM by shep_shepherd1

Panasonic HDC-HS250

shep_shepherd1 Level 1

I am thinking about buying a Panasonic HDC-HS250 camcorder to film my various outdoor activities.  I read somewhere that Premiere Elements is not compatible with the AVCHD files that the camera puts out.  My intenet is to do some filming than then edit my clips and pictures, maybe add some music and burn them onto a DVD that can be played on a DVD player and/or a computer.  Is this info correct?

Any help would be appreciated!

Stephen 

• 1. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Panasonic HDC-HS250 is a 1920x1080 AVCHD camcorder, and so its video files are perfectly compatible with Premiere Elements.

You'll need a very fast computer to work with AVCHD. As I say in my books, you'll need at least a quad core processor with a good load of RAM -- even better if you've got an i7 system.

But, yes, the software will definitely work with that camcorder. And you'll be able to share your video on the web, as a computer and/or as a DVD or BluRay disc!

If you'd like to know more about how the program works, check out my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com. For even more information, check out my books, available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store.

• 2. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250
            shep_shepherd1 Level 1

Hmmmm......sounds like I might be biting off more than I can chew with this little project.  I have a photography side business and have a computer that I use specifically to edit my photos......Intel Duo CPU P8600 @2.4 Ghz 2401 Mhz, 6 gigs of RAM and 500gig hd.  I currently run Lightroom and Photoshop CS4 and Photomatix without any problems.

I just want to do this kind of thing as hobby and see if I like it.....is there a way to do something similar without having to purchase a bunch of equipment?

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are aiming to end up with an SD (Standard Definition) DVD Project, a better camera would be a miniDV tape-based SD for now.

If you do want to record in HD (High Definition), then a camera that records to tape with the HDV CODEC, would be very good.

The AVCHD material needs a great deal of processing power, as Steve mentions. While it is a "consumer format," it requires the horsepower of a professional workstation to smoothly edit it. This will be true, whichever NLE (Non Linear Editor) you choose. This is not just an Adobe thing.

For general video editing, I would also consider adding at least one more physical HDD, to spread the I/O load a bit. A single HDD, with everything vying for reads/writes at the same time, will be a bottleneck The additional HDD will also benefit you with PS, as you can place your Scratch Disk onto that new HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250
                shep_shepherd1 Level 1

Your answer begs another question.....If I am not planning on a final output in HD.....I am guessing I would have to burn to a BR to keep 1080 HD......why even have a HD camcorder?  Correct me if I am wrong.........

Truth be told, I just want to put something together for friends and to look back on my adventures 10 years from now! Having said that, I want the final project to be the best quality I can get.

Stephen

• 5. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The specification of a DVD does NOT include HD, so... yes... to maintain HD you must burn to BluRay (do your friends HAVE those players?)

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 describes what I do to go from HD to SD... albeit with CS5 and a new computer

If your ultimate goal is a DVD... you should start with a Standard Definition source to make things easier all around... especially if you don't want to have to buy or build an i7 computer like the one I built

A Firewire DV camcorder is going to work well... if you can find one today

For a Firewire DV TAPE Camera - look at Panasonic PV-GS320 or GS500 (Note that I have not used either, but they have good reviews)
                  http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_PV_GS320/4505-6500_7-32330317.html
                  http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/panasonic-pv-gs500/4505-6500_7-31660646.html
                  Or Canon ZR960 http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/canon-zr960/4505-6500_7-33483239.html

I've never used one, so can't recommend, but a Standard Definition camcorder that records to DVD might work... but I'm not sure how the quality is going to be, going from a compressed format to edit back to a compressed DVD format

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250
                    shep_shepherd1 Level 1

Started reading your post......that stuff is way more than I want to get into!

Currently, I don't have a BR player and I am not sure if my friends do either.  You would think at 34 I would be up to date with technology....NOT!

It sounds like the route that I need to take is SD.....or just keep taking pics with my 1D MK III and put them in a slide show.

• 7. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250

Even for SD video, you MUST have at least a 2nd 7200rpm hard drive

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                      - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
                      - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
                      - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

• 8. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250
                        shep_shepherd1 Level 1

Hmmmmm......sounds like I need to scrap this idea!  I had no idea there was so much involved in cutting up videos and making a 15 minute highlite DVD for fun.  My hat is off to ya'll!

I appreciate all of ya'll help!  Without ya'll I would have spent more money and time that I needed to!

Thanks Again!

Stephen

• 9. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250

Since you have a photography business... look at video editing this way...

You now have 30 pictures PER SECOND, plus sound, in files that are (for SD) about 13Gig per hour of video

Since your computer is working on that size file, with that number of pictures per second, you need "more" hardware than simple, single picture editing

• 10. Re: Panasonic HDC-HS250
                            shep_shepherd1 Level 1

I hear ya.....after seeing some videos that friends have put together, I guess that I just assumed that it was no big deal.  I will just have to fall back on the old "slide shows."

Thanks again!

Stephen