5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2010 8:26 PM by Todd_Kopriva

video to film

ametuer cinema dude Level 1

Hey could someone direct me on how to change a standard 30p 720p video from my SLR camera or DV camcorder into 1080p 24p movie quality video.  I don't mean just the motion changing of video to film, but also dynamicy range and other factors.  It would be great if someone could help me?

• 1. Re: video to film
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

but also dynamicy range and other factors.

Where there is nothing, there willl be nothing, so this point is utterly hypothetical. You may use color corrections to increase contrast and perceived saturation, but the fact remains: It is based on a compression that uses chroma-undersampling and already omitted a ton of color when recording the movie and it will never look as good as RED footage or chemical film stock. The rest is really vague - from inverse pulldown to motion-estimation based interpolation, there is a million ways of converting framerates therse days. It very much depends on the look you want and how much other processing (effects, grain, grading) you want to do.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: video to film
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Based on your other posts on this forum, it seems that you're still very new to After Effects and video software in general. That's no problem, and we're happy to help, but you can't just leap into some _very_ deep, broad, and difficult questions such as how to make video look like film. You need to develop enough understanding so that you know what focused questions to ask.

I've recommended this page to you before:

"Getting started with After Effects"

I also recommend that you read through some books, such as Creating Motion Graphics, which is an excellent way to build your foundation.

• 3. Re: video to film

I have taken a thorough class in compression with video and how it can affect the footage quality, but I need ways to compensate for that.  I can't just bring my RED camera (which I love) everywhere I go.  The reason I need to do this is I am making an hour and a half to 2 hour documentary focused around a 13/14 year old boy in the suburbs of Waukesha County in Wisconsin.  The purpose of the film is to show people of similar age far into the future what it was truly like.  For many shots like leaving a camera on a tripod for several hours to film classes in several classrooms over the year, I don't feel comfortable with all these high school/middle school kids around a RED camera.  You can see my feelings.

• 4. Re: video to film

Could you refer me to a FREE thorough tutorial website to give my fellow ultimate amateurs how to use Adobe Production Premium products.

• 5. Re: video to film
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Could you refer me to a FREE thorough tutorial website to give my fellow ultimate amateurs how to use Adobe Production Premium products.

Start here to learn After Effects. Once you've worked your way through those materials, go here for various other free resources.

Start here to learn Premiere Pro. Go here for more information.