17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 4:34 PM by Story_Lab

RAW Bug

Story_Lab

Running CS5 Master Collection, with most recent updates on a late 2009 17" macbook pro (unibody)

As of the last update (6.2.0.29) whenever I open a .CR2 I run into 2 issues:

1. When the image is magnified and I hold down spacebar so that I can navigate the image, the image jumps back and forth as I try and move it any direction with a click and drag. The cpu is not stuttering however it appears as if I'm playing tug-a-war with the program.

2. When the image is at anything less than 50% (ie: 33%/fit to screen) some of the changes I've made to the image (ie: noise reduction/spot removal) do not appear on the image - basically it looks like I haven't applied the said change. If you're thinking, "Well at 33% who could see such something like a spot removal," I assure you, this isn't the case - this doesn't seem to happen on all pictures however.

I made a quick video of the main issue I'm experiencing (stutter/tug-a-war with grab tool) so anyone trying to help can better understand what I mean.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3534539/Photoshop001.mov

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any resolution yet or one on the way?

• 1. Re: RAW Bug
          Noel Carboni Level 7

I'm using a PC, but I have just tried to reproduce what you described with one of my Canon 40D .cr2 files, and don't see the same issues.  So this can serve as a confirmation that what you're expecting is certainly supposed to be the case.

1.  At zoomed-in levels and with several different tools selected at different times (including the zoom tool) I held the space bar down, got the Hand icon, and was able to pan the image around without any fighting with Camera Raw or jumping back and forth.

2.  I did some obvious spot corrections and found that they remained intact and visible even out to quite zoomed-out levels, 25% and well below.

-Noel

• 2. Re: RAW Bug
            Story_Lab Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation Noel.

Hmm well as I see it then, if I'm the only one experiencing this, that leaves two options as the possible source of the problem:

1. The computer itself (possibly graphics card - GForce 9400M & 9600M GT)

2. The files/camera - working with a 5D Mark II

Any thoughts/ideas on this?

• 3. Re: RAW Bug
              Story_Lab Level 1

Here's a video that shows the other problem I'm having - inaccurate preview at different levels of magnification.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3534539/Photoshop002.mov

• 4. Re: RAW Bug
                Vit Novak Level 3

From my remembering, all previous ACR versions behaved this way (NR effect not shown on magnification less than 100% or so), so I presume it's intentional

• 5. Re: RAW Bug
                  Story_Lab Level 1

Suppose the lack of an NR preview at whatever magnification is intentional, not sure why that'd be an intentional move but regardless, I can get over that.

It's the other problem that's frustrating the heck out of me and interrupting my work - the jerky tug-a-war with the grab tool.

• 6. Re: RAW Bug
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Without any specific knowledge, I'd suspect either a video-driver issue or a pointing-device-driver issue.  Is your CPU (or one of the cores) maxed out during the drag that doesn't work?

• 7. Re: RAW Bug
                      Story_Lab Level 1

Looking at Activity Monitor, it looks like it gets up to about 65% - would you consider that high enough to qualify as "maxed out?"

Btw, I'm running a Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz with 4Gb of RAM

• 8. Re: RAW Bug
                        PBoehme Level 1

I have experienced similar problems with a comparable PC (Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz with 4GB RAM and Intel Extreme series motherboard) when running the trial version of CS5.  I have been using PS CS3 Extended without any problems.  I finally decided that the problem on my PC was the Microsoft wireless mouse whenever the battery gets low -- which seems to be very frequently.  Anyway, using a mouse with a tail works much better for me.

• 9. Re: RAW Bug
                          Story_Lab Level 1

I've tried a wireless mouse, the "magic" trackpad, and the onboard trackpad on the laptop itself - they've all yielded the same results. It's gotta be a software issue, I just don't know how to diagnose it for sure.

• 10. Re: RAW Bug
                            Noel Carboni Level 7

I should think if your mouse was being a "jerk" you'd see it in other places as well.

-Noel

• 11. Re: RAW Bug
                              Story_Lab Level 1

Right, it's just ACR, nowhere else does it behave like this.

• 12. Re: RAW Bug
                                Noel Carboni Level 7
                                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Story_Lab wrote:

Hmm well as I see it then, if I'm the only one experiencing this, that leaves two options as the possible source of the problem:

2. The files/camera - working with a 5D Mark II

Nope.  I just tried it with a Canon 5D Mark II raw image.  The ill behavior did not present itself.  All works as expected.

Again, I'm on PC and you're on Mac, so there can be other variables here, but it doesn't appear to be a systemic problem tied to 5D Mark II files in general.

-Noel

• 13. Re: RAW Bug
                                  Story_Lab Level 1

I appreciate it, I'm pretty confident you've eliminated another variable based on the information I found today.

Today I visited the mac lab at the high school I volunteer at. We opened a .CR2 in ACR (6.2) through Photoshop (CS5) on an imac running an Intel i7 with 4GB of RAM. We reproduced the "jerking" bug with no effort.

However, the instructor then opened a .CR2 on his mac pro (Intel Core Two Duo & 14GB RAM). There was no jerking in ACR BUT while looking at activity monitor it was apparent that his CPU was being taxed very heavily.

If the difference in performance is related to RAM, my uneducated guess would be that there's a faulty driver (possibly for the video card) - but like I said...uneducated...I'm no developer.

Noel, may I ask what brand of video card you're running and how much RAM you have installed?

• 14. Re: RAW Bug
                                    PBoehme Level 1

Quote: Noel Carboni --

I should think if your mouse was being a "jerk" you'd see it in other places as well.

-Noel

Noel, you are right about the mouse being a "jerk" in other places besides ACR.  In my case, the mouse was being a total jerk.

• 15. Re: RAW Bug
                                      Noel Carboni Level 7

My workstation is a Dell Precision 490 dual processor dual core system running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with 8 GB of RAM.  I have a VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 1 GB of onboard RAM.

I should think with a non-OpenGL implementation (and ACR doesn't seem to have embraced OpenGL GPU acceleration yet, at least not on PC) you'd expect to see the CPU taxed quite heavily.  You wouldn't want to be waiting on a screen update and have the processor be idle!

One thing I've noticed on the PC side...  The 32 bit build of ACR runs only one thread, while the 64 bit build runs multiple threads - a real boon on a multicore machine.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: RAW Bug
                                        dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for posting the screen recordings.

As of the last update (6.2.0.29) whenever I open a .CR2 I run into 2 issues:

1. When the image is magnified and I hold down spacebar so that I can navigate the image, the image jumps back and forth as I try and move it any direction with a click and drag. The cpu is not stuttering however it appears as if I'm playing tug-a-war with the program.

This is a known, open bug: Mac only, not related to video cards.

2. When the image is at anything less than 50% (ie: 33%/fit to screen) some of the changes I've made to the image (ie: noise reduction/spot removal) do not appear on the image - basically it looks like I haven't applied the said change. If you're thinking, "Well at 33% who could see such something like a spot removal," I assure you, this isn't the case - this doesn't seem to happen on all pictures however.

As noted by other folks on this thread, noise reduction is not as accurate at < 100%, and this is as designed, so that the preview appears more quickly. You'll note that on the Detail panel a message appears about this when you are at < 100%.  Are you sure you are also seeing this for spot heals?

Thanks,

David Franzen

• 17. Re: RAW Bug
                                          Story_Lab Level 1

No I'm not entirely sure about the spot heals, it was just speculation.

But thanks for clearing this up, I'm just glad to know there's nothing wrong with my laptop.

Will the bug be addressed with an update any time in the near future?