5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2010 3:06 PM by Steve Grisetti

not possible to choose disc menu template

PiSzcze Level 1

Hey,

I'm preparind wedding show for coming suturday and have very serious problem to finish my job. The show is ready and in PE plays very fine (I work with PE7). Any time I want to choose template in Disc Menu I got very famous Microsoft message:" There is a problem with PE7 application and will be closed. Sorry for problems. Send information about this problem to Microsoft. etc...". If I click in error raport, there is a message:" AppName: adobe premiere elements.exe  AppVer: 7.0.0.0 ModName: dvdcreator.dll  ModVer: 7.0.0.0.  Offset:  00086c2a". And a lot more. Naturally this message terminates everything and I can't prepare the DVD. I already reinstall PE7 but no success. I'm working with Windows XP and PE7.

Pls, let me know what kind of problem is it and what I have to do to solve problem. I'm really, as we say "in black whole" becouse this show is planned to be a big attraction of the evening. I must say this happened for the first time and in the past I made a lot of movies using Disc Menu templates.

• 1. Re: not possible to choose disc menu template
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what steps you're taking to select this DVD menu, so I can't tell you if you're doing something wrong.

But meantime, make sure your C drive has at least 20-30 gigs of free space on it and that you've recently defragmented. The program needs a lot of large chunks of hard drive space for scratch files and paging and sometimes, if it can't find it, the program will close when you do something intensive, like apply a menu template or open the titler.

Beyond that, if you can tell us more about your workflow that might help. How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much space is left on your hard drive(s)? What operating system are you using? Have you gone to Windows Update to ensure you have even the non-critical updates and have you gone to Apple.com to ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime?

Finally, what type of camcorder if your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer? Which project preset are you using in your Premiere Elements project? If there are red lines above clips on your timeline, have you rendered your timeline by pressing Enter so that those red lines turn green?

There's much more in my books, if you're interested, available on Amazon.com and at our Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.

• 2. Re: not possible to choose disc menu template
            PiSzcze Level 1

Hello again,

Replying to your questions, pls see below all data:

- I use Window XP Proffesional ver 2002 with SP3

- Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2,4 GHz

- 3,5 GB RAM

- on C: I have 17 GB free however I preset disc F: as saving disc on my computer; F: has 700 GB free

- I've installed the latest Apple Quicktime (however after problems acuured)

- I also updated Windows system (also after problems acuured)

- the video is not from camcoder and include mp4 videos and pictures

- I naturally render my work and there is green line

After your response I updated Windows, restart computer, open PE7 and go to disc menu. This time I tried not to choose from pop-up menu and used one of default (Entertiment, while I wanted Wedding) and.... it run. So, I made DVD and everything is ok. However just after burning DVD I checked if choosing of Disk Menu template is possible (trying to choose Weding template). Unfortunately same problem with Microsoft message and terminating PE7 program. So I return to starting point.

• 3. Re: not possible to choose disc menu template
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Often, when there are memory address errors, there is some program that is either not correctly reporting its memory addresses to the OS, or is telling the OS that it has released those memory addresses, when it has not.

This ARTICLE might give you some tips on getting your computer ready for an editing session.

Also, even though you are doing most of your work on another physical HDD, you have a C:\ that is overly full. First, above ~ 70%, performance drops drastically. Also, you could well be filling up your C:\, if you Windows Virtual Memory is dynamically managed. This ARTICLE will give you some tips. I would definitely clean up C:\.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - is F:\ an internal, or external? If external, what is the connection type?

• 4. Re: not possible to choose disc menu template
                PiSzcze Level 1

Thanks, I will read articles. F: is internal disc.

• 5. Re: not possible to choose disc menu template
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill. You'll need to clear off at least 20, ideally closer to 30, gigs of free space on your C drive and then run a good defrag.

That alone could solve your crashing problems.