1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 19, 2010 4:32 AM by Todd_Kopriva

New with AE, how to blend in a background?

Source90

Hello,

For an school project, primary school kids, we made a video where they 'present the news'.

It's a little project in the final year of elementary school, it was called fifth/sixth grade in USA right?
      The objective of this 'project' is to have the children find news, make an article out of that and then make a little news-flash (~3minutes) of it.

It is filmed (by lack of green) on a very large white curtain, with flaws in it.
      We stretched it to the max but because of a lack in materials, this was the best it could get.

Now the question:

I want to remove the background and then add an picture of a news studio as background, but how do i do this?

I come as far as removing a big part of the background with the pen tool, as seen in many tutorials.

But since there are flaws in the curtain, and children move obviously, i keep seeing a white part when adding the background.

I read something about an effect that adjust the whole video by moving with the body movements.
      Does this exist?  Where can i find it and how does it work?

Also, is it possible in the first place or is it only possible with an green-flaw less curtain?

It doesn't need to become perfect, a little white 'glow' around the childeren isn't a disaster, since they need to do it and are happy with any result

Click the link below for a picture from the curtain.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2iks4yu.png

An additional note,
      In school we have After Effect but an older version, CS3 Professional.
      Don't know if this information is needed for the chose of effects?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: New with AE, how to blend in a background?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This is going to be a difficult task.

Here is a page that descibes the various kinds of compositing tools that you have in After Effects. Because you have After Effects CS3, you have all of these features but one (the Roto Brush tool).

The reason to use a solid-color screen behind people (like your curtain) is so that you can use the color keying method. The reason that green or some other distinctive color works well is that it is a color that isn't found in people, so it's easy to tell the software to replce that color with transparency without affecting people's skin and hair and eyes and (for the msot part) clothes. White, on the other hand, is a color that exists in people and their clothes, so telling the software to replace white with transparency may cause parts of the people to become transparent. You can try using various keying effects, such as the Luma Key effect, but it will be hard to get good results from this footage.

If this were a production with a big budget, I'd recommend rotoscoping, which involves manually drawing and animating very close-fitting masks around the subjects (the students). This is very, very tedious work---which is why people set up green screens instead.

1 person found this helpful