4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2010 3:41 PM by expeditionwest

What presets will help me achieve a color "security camera look"

rowby Level 1

Hi

As usual a tight deadline and I need to add effects to a short sequence that needs to look like a security camera.

So we're looking at, perhaps scanning lines, digital date and time stamp (guess I could use timecode for that).

Want it to be a color security camera (not black and white).

Any other suggestions from those of you who are familiar with CS5's various video effects?

Thanks

Rowby

• 1. Re: What presets will help me achieve a color "security camera look"
          the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the first things that strikes me with my color security cameras is the enhanced contrast and the often blown-out Highlights. I'd look into Levels and also Highlight & Shadow to achieve such a look.

Next, the color gamut is limited, and I think that Fast Color Corrector will get you close to that.

For TimeCode (not Date Stamp), the TimeCode Effect will get you a runtime readout.

Though it will not increment, you could also do a Date Stamp as a Lower-Third (or Upper-Third), and add some Blur to the Title.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: What presets will help me achieve a color "security camera look"
            expeditionwest Level 1

In addition to what Bill says, add a small flashing logo on the top right or left. Make it non-sensical. I've been in the security camera biz for quite sometime now and STILL don't know what those flashing logos mean. I've seen parallelograms, stopwatches, one had a little flashing bird on it (never figured that one out). Add that and that alone will indicate it's a security camera driven video.

expeditionwest

• 3. Re: What presets will help me achieve a color "security camera look"
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good one. My cameras list their assignment in the matrix, i.e. "Camera 1," etc. Do not have flashing logos, but do get the camera designation.

About half of mine are full-color, but shift over to a "night vision" mode, as light fades. The rest are B/W with their own night vision modes.

Hunt

• 4. Re: What presets will help me achieve a color "security camera look"
                expeditionwest Level 1

I contracted 220 stores in the Calif, Nev and Ariz areas and have run the gamut of problems. The worst of the problems is the constant changing of the DVR recorders by my distributors. Gheez, they last about 60 days before a new one comes out with different software, different buttons, different everything(s).

Camera product seems pretty stable, thus far.

Living in Arizona, I have a few trained techs in each state, but gotta say that keeping them up to snuff on each model is ridiculous.

The funny part (not funny funny, but sad funny) is that the DVR's are pretty solid, reliability wise. If they do break down, swap and go is the best and most economical solution. The bad part is the software. Resetting it and reprogramming it costs more (in terms of labor) than the swap and go of the DVR's.

Proud to say though, our systems have been instrumental in the capture of over 25 idiots thus far, ranging from simple grab and run to armed robberies.

expeditionwest