2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 5:54 PM by PhotonMayhem

kuler wheel?

PhotonMayhem

According to the kuler wheel, the complement to Blue is RGB:(255,209,0)

1) so... it is not Yellow - RGB:(255,255,0) which would be the straight hue-180

2) and is not Orange - RGB:(255,128,0) which should be on the "traditional" wheel from colour theory

(the one where yellow is complement to violet, red - green, blue - orange)

... so what is the kuler wheel?

even if it is a pigment simulation you need to have half of the wheel with warm colours, and their complements should be cool colours, where the kuler wheel clearly on occasions gives cool complements to cool colours, which is wrong any way you look at it (harmonies there will not work).

ex: FF0035 is given as complement to 00FF2A

Message was edited by: PhotonMayhem - added clarification about warm/cool separation on the wheel

• 1. Re: kuler wheel?
          A.Sancho Royo

Hi,

I agree with you. In complementary color Hue values must differ exactly 180. This do not happens. I'm looking for an explanation.

A kind of explanation could be found at:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/654326#654326

Good colors!!

• 2. Re: kuler wheel?
            PhotonMayhem Level 1

I think they are attempting to create RYB colour model, in which colour harmonies work very well.

You do get more pleasing results and higher colour contrast...

however the model must be some pigment simulation as even the primary complements are incorrect (the given example of blue-orange)

and especially the type of complements returned... even if it is pigment simulation (which is nonsense as this is meant for digital design, not specific print) they need to have half of the wheel with cool colours, the other half in warm colours, and it is clear that it is not the case.

So... what is it...?

you can even eyeball a closer complements in RYB than what that the kuler-wheel gives.

I made a RYB colour wheel myself, here are the results of RGB wheel with its complements in RYB.

(it is not perfect, but far more accurate than the Kuler wheel)

RYB_wheel_web.jpg