2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2007 2:36 PM by mjeune

Knife Tool Annoyance

mjeune
      Ok, this is something I noticed with earlier versions of Fireworks, and it's still lingering in CS3.

What happens is this: I have a rounded rectangle with a border of 1 pixel (no fill). When I use the knife tool to cut it in smaller parts, the resulting sections end up having a thickness of 2 pixels and become blurry/faded. This does not happen with path having borders of 2+ pixels, only with 1 pixel.

Here's another interesting bit: let's say I do the same using a rectangle with a 2-pixel border. The resulting sections have the same thickness as the original (2 pixels), but if I attempt to change it to 1 pixel, Fireworks blurs the section and its thickness remains at 2 pixels. What gives?

Anyone ever noticed this? Is there a workaround? Is this a bug or is this behavior by design?
        • 1. Re: Knife Tool Annoyance
          Level 7
          mjeune,

This article might help clarify what you are seeing.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=d6f2172a

alex

mjeune wrote:
          > Ok, this is something I noticed with earlier versions of Fireworks, and it's
          > still lingering in CS3.
          >
          > What happens is this: I have a rounded rectangle with a border of 1 pixel (no
          > fill). When I use the knife tool to cut it in smaller parts, the resulting
          > sections end up having a thickness of 2 pixels and become blurry/faded. This
          > does not happen with path having borders of 2+ pixels, only with 1 pixel.
          >
          > Here's another interesting bit: let's say I do the same using a rectangle with
          > a 2-pixel border. The resulting sections have the same thickness as the
          > original (2 pixels), but if I attempt to change it to 1 pixel, Fireworks blurs
          > the section and its thickness remains at 2 pixels. What gives?
          >
          > Anyone ever noticed this? Is there a workaround? Is this a bug or is this
          > behavior by design?
          >
          • 2. Re: Knife Tool Annoyance
            mjeune Level 1
            The article was was very informative, and it seems that what I wanted to achieve can only be done with full pixels (solid paths) or with half pixel paths (soft lines) with a thickness higher than 1. I guess I could always transform the paths to bitmaps and cut were needed, as an easier alternative.

In any case, the article was quite useful, thanks. :)