2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 8:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Picture in Picture problem - Premiere Elements 8

Wainfleetworld

Hi all,

I am reasonably good with software, but this picture in picture business with Elements 8 is driving me crazy, can you help please?

I have installed from original CD, loaded the additional contents disc and the software is running fine (albeit slow at the minute due to Windows 7 and the memory required). I have got media in the software and have been trying to get some picture in picture content sorted. According to the tutorial this should simply be a case of dragging and dropping one clip into another (using the monitor section as the background).

For the life of me I can't get this to work.

Also the trial version had effects in it and I am sure it had PIP as an option. The full blown software doesn't appear to have it. Any ideas please?

• 1. Re: Picture in Picture problem - Premiere Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

We've got lots of helpful tutorials at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com. Among the free tutorials, you'll also find my Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorial series, which you may also find helpful.

I've also written a number of easy-to-understand books on the program. They're available on Amazon.com and on the Muvipix site.

What you're trying to do is relatively simple -- but it's hard to say what you're doing wrong since we don't really know what you're doing.

There are also a number of ways to do a PiP.

The easiest is to put one clip on the Video 1 track and the other on the Video 2 track, directly above it on the timeline. Then click on the clip in the Monitor. When you do, you'll corner handles appear around the clip in the Monitor. By dragging these corners handles in, you can resize your picture-in-picture clip and drag it to wherever you'd like to place if over the main clip.

• 2. Re: Picture in Picture problem - Premiere Elements 8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the layout for PiP.

PiP_Example_01.jpg

It was done with the fixed Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position (plus Crop in this case), but that is basically what you do with the Bounding Box that Steve mentions.

Good luck,

Hunt