4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 7:42 AM by the_wine_snob

Cannot select timeline at times

mjplihcik

I am using Premiere Pro 5.0.2 and am having trouble selecting the timeline. Sometimes it works perfrctly and other times I click the timeline and it does not get highlighted, and I cannot do anything in it. Other times I can select the timeline but it acts sluggish. I can try to move the current time indicator and it doesn't move but the video monitor shows the change. I am using Windows 7 X64, AMD Phenom X4, 8GB memory. Is there something I need to set or replace to get this to work all of time? Thanks for your assistance.

• 1. Re: Cannot select timeline at times
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I wonder if this is a GUI issue. What is the version/date of your video card driver? That would be the first thing that I would rule out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Cannot select timeline at times
            mjplihcik Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I am using a ATI FireGL V7700 video card and updated the driver to the latest version, 8.743.3.2. This had no effect on my problem.

Is it possible that my configuration is not compatable since Adobe seems to like Intel and NVidia?

My previous version of Premiere Pro (2.0) worked just fine with my previous AMD and ATI configuration.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: Cannot select timeline at times
              mjplihcik Level 1

I just stumbled upon an interesting development. The problem of not being able to select the timeline seems to only happen if the media browser is selected. Selecting the info, effects, or other tab seems to clear the problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 4. Re: Cannot select timeline at times
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting. Still sounds like a GUI/video issue, but obviously not related to the video driver. It's as though the full display of the Media Browser takes more power, than the card is able to deliver. I do not know the console on ATI cards, so can only say to look at the settings there, and make sure that items, like 3D performance are set properly - that one should be Let Program Decide. Maybe an ATI user can give you some specific tips, and settings to investigate.

Good luck,

Hunt