3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 7:41 PM by Noel Carboni

which version of windows best for PS CS4/5 Camera RAW

David Remington Level 1

We are adding a new windows workstation that will primarily be used for processing Canon RAW files using CS4 or CS5 Camera RAW followed by a PS action. We can pick the version of CS and have OS options as well. We will be processing thousands of files per day and want the best performance. I would like to go with a 64 bit workflow and am leaning toward Win7 64 bit with CS5. My IT dept has said that there are "known" issues with Win 7 and Camera RAW and offer 64 bit XP as an option. This is not my area of expertise. We mostly use Macs for this work but use PCs for one workgroup.

Is there a known issue with Win7 and Camera RAW and or Photoshop CS5 or CS4?

What is the optimum Win OS and version of PS and Camera RAW for maximum performance and hopefully stability?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

--David

• 1. Re: which version of windows best for PS CS4/5 Camera RAW
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Windows 7 x64 is excellent for Photoshop and Camera Raw operations.  IT people are notoriously overconservative and tend to recommend XP.  That said, Windows 7 does take some tweaking and possibly some freeware add-ons to make it a really productive environment.

I'd suggest 8 to 16 GB of RAM and at least 4 processor cores.

Perhaps one of the more important aspects of operation is choice of the video card, and the stability of the video drivers.  The current versions of Photoshop use OpenGL heavily, and only very recently have video drivers begun to be stable with OpenGL operation.

Adobe lists the cards they've tested with.

My own experience is with ATI (specifically a Visiontek Radeon HD 4670), and while it's plenty fast and I've had reasonably good results with the latest drivers, it's now a bit dated and you should look to others to offer their experiences with other brands/models as well.

-Noel

P.S., The 64 bit build of Camera Raw is quite a bit faster than the 32 bit build, insofar as it uses multiple cores to do the work, while the 32 bit build is limited to running on one core for some reason.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: which version of windows best for PS CS4/5 Camera RAW
            David Remington Level 1

HI Noel,

Thanks for the information.

The PC will be a Dell Precision T3500. Cards are NVIDIA NVS. It comes standard with a 295 can upgrade to a 420.

--David

• 3. Re: which version of windows best for PS CS4/5 Camera RAW
              Noel Carboni Level 7

I'm quite fond of Dell Precision workstations myself (mine's a Precision 490, still a happenin' machine even at 4 years of age).  I've been eyeing a Precision T5500 for some time.  Re the T3500, I don't know what your budgetary concerns are, but a second processor - even though individual processors now have multiple cores - is a good thing to have.  You don't have to populate it right now, and having a second socket could give you a year or two more life down the line via adding a processor.

Keep in mind the sales people at Dell can configure those systems in ways not visible on the web pages.

Also, I personally prefer ATI video cards over nVidia.  I believe ATI does a better job with their driver software (which is of course based on limited personal experience, lest I offend any nVidia owners).

-Noel

1 person found this helpful