8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 2:20 PM by squigglytwigs

file name?

squigglytwigs

How to I change the name at the top of a pdf file?  In my files menu view the files have the name I've saved them as.  However, when I open the file a different (old) file name shows up.  I can't seem to get this changed.

Debbie

• 1. Re: file name?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It could be that the initial view for the document is set up to display the document title, and the document title is set to the old file name. You'll need Acrobat to change the document title or initial view setting for the document.

• 2. Re: file name?
            squigglytwigs Level 1

It seems to be.  I see the old name in the file/properties/title space.  But, the program won't allow me to change it.  I have the free adobe reader version.  Is this acrobat you suggest also free?

I've noticed as well that within Open Office Impress, the program the file was created within, file/properties/title is similar and also has the old title listed.  It will allow me to change it, but that change is not transferring to the heading or to the pdf file when exported.  I've posted for help on Open Office also.

Debbie

• 3. Re: file name?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No, Acrobat is not free.

It's odd that the change of the document title in the source document in OpenOffice does not carry over to a newly created PDF. You might want to try another test and export to a different file name to confirm.

• 4. Re: file name?
                squigglytwigs Level 1

I did try others.  Not only is the source document title change not transfering, it's not changing in the side grid either.  Hmmm.  Maybe it's not an acrobat issue, maybe it's open office?  I did see some free downloads that allow you to change "title, etc" in adobe.  I'm afraid of such for fear of downloading some "junk" along with the free program.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: file name?
                  ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

squigglytwigs wrote:

Maybe it's not an acrobat issue, maybe it's open office?

I would say that's a fair assesment since you aren't using Acrobat anywhere in the process yes.

squigglytwigs wrote:

I'm afraid of such for fear of downloading some "junk" along with the free program.

Thanks.

Some of them aren't too bad (depending on what you want to do).

• 6. Re: file name?
                    squigglytwigs Level 1

Can you suggest a free title change download and from where?  Downloading things from unknown (to me) sources is uncomfortable.  I'm always afraid of bringing in a virus or malware file too.  This will be the easiest solution until I can solve it in Open Office Impress.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: file name?
                      ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use Acrobat so won't speak personally about any of the different free utilities but PrimoPDF seems to get a lot of good press.

http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx

• 8. Re: file name?
                        squigglytwigs Level 1

Problem solved.  Files edited.  Thank you.

Blessings,

Debbie

**SquigglyTwigs Designs Blog: http://www.squigglytwigs.blogspot.com

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:56:40 -0600

To: debjoecarrie@hotmail.com

Subject: file name?

I use Acrobat so won't speak personally about any of the different free utilities but PrimoPDF seems to get a lot of good press.

http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx

>