8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2010 7:49 AM by orITguy

Blank screen when attempting to view PDF

orITguy

Using a browser, I go to an link that gets an .fdf file (https://server.com/file.fdf). Inside the fdf file is a /F (https://server.com/file.pdf) call.

If the install of Acrobat Reader 9.3.3/9.3.4 has been done straight from the web, a yellow bar appears asking if you want to trust it once or add the host to the privileged locations, and then the PDF file opens fine.

However, if we use the Adobe Customization Wizard and install Reader via Group Policy, the experience is not the same.  We added the website in question to the Privileged Locations list and toggled Cross Domain Violations, FDF Script Injection, and Data Injection to Yes.  In this case, a blank window opens when clicking on the link, but nothing further happens. Looking in HKLM\Software\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\FeatureLockdown\TrustManager\cTrustedSites, the correct keys (cCrossdomain, cDataInjection, cScriptInjection) and values exist, but the problem continues.

If I enter the website into Privileged Locations manually, the same entries appear under HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\etc, but the problem continues.

This behavior has been seen in IE8 and Firefox.

Anyone have an idea of how to resolve this and retain the GPO install?

Thanks.

Bryan

• 1. Re: Blank screen when attempting to view PDF
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you check the transform created. Getting a blank page, would probably mean that the Javascript has been disabled permanently. Can you check the following in the Adobe Customization Wizard:

1. Load the created transform/package.

2. Goto the Security section by clicking on the relevant button on the left side of the window.

3. On the right side pane, check the "Enhanced Security Settings" section.

4. Can you check the value in the dropdown for "Browser"/"Standalone" field. It should be "Default".

5. Save the transform and redeploy. Hopefully it should work now.

• 2. Re: Blank screen when attempting to view PDF
            orITguy Level 1

The existing transform was set to default/default, but I went ahead and saved it again.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

I specifically asked the website creators if they used any Javascript, and they said that they do not.

• 3. Re: Blank screen when attempting to view PDF

Thanks for trying out the suggestion even though you were sure about the same. If the issue is not with Javascript, then I guess it may have something to do with the FDF redirection.

Can you please try a couple of more things:

1. Try adding the links to both the PDF and FDF in the Priviliged location section.

2. Try opening the PDF link alone, without getting redirected via the FDF link.

Thanks in advance for trying out the same.

• 4. Re: Blank screen when attempting to view PDF
                orITguy Level 1

Right now I'll try most anything to resolve this!

1.  The links are dynamic in that the file names have a uniqueid/timestamp every time they are accessed, so putting the whole link in is...hard.  The host name stays the same, thankfully.

2.  Opening the PDF directly works.  It just loses the auto-fill info in the fdf file, as expected.

This may be a red herring, but if I save the fdf to my desktop and then open it, I get an error "Acrobat does not allow connection to: <URL of pdf>".

Thanks for the help!

• 5. Re: Blank screen when attempting to view PDF

At the risk of sounding naive, I have to ask you (after seeing your error message) that do you have Adobe Acrobat installed on your system as well, along with Adobe Reader?

• 6. Re: Blank screen when attempting to view PDF
                    orITguy Level 1

No, I do not.  I've been working on two systems.  The first had previous versions of Adobe Reader on it but were removed before the current issue.  The second is a new clean build + Adobe Reader 9.3.3 and now 9.3.4.

• 7. Re: Blank screen when attempting to view PDF

Can you please check if there is any entry in the TrustManager list. You can check the same by following the below mentioned steps:

1. Open Adobe Reader and click on edit > Preferences

2. On the Left hand side Pane, click on "Trust Manager"

3. Click on the "Change Settings" button on the right side.

4. Try changing the radio button option for "PDF files may connect......." to "Let me specify a list of allowed and blocked web sites"

5. Make sure that the your host/URL for the FDF/PDF is not added in the "My Web Sites" section. If its added there, make sure that the Access column says, "Always Allow". If its otherwise, delete the entry.

6. Mark the radio button for "Default behaviour for web sites that are not in the above list" as "Always ask"

7. Click Ok to exit the dialog and the preferences window.

8. Close Adobe Reader

Please try accessing the link now. Guess it should work.

• 8. Re: Blank screen when attempting to view PDF
                        orITguy Level 1

The Manage Internet Access window has been one of the mysteries of this whole issue.  In my case, since Reader was installed via GP, all the options on this window are grayed out and I never have figured out how to make them active.  The window is only active when I do an install straight from the web (or offline install).

That said, the settings you refer to, even though grayed out, are set correctly and there are no websites listed on this screen.