1 2 3 4 Previous Next 126 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 5:43 PM by SummerMama

canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !

cedricyueyi

Hello,

I have created a new project for the Canon XF300 (1080 50i).

When importing around 200 medias clips (native mxf files from the canon)  on the project, Premiere takes 8 Go of RAM ! it's like all the media are loaded in memory.

My system has only 8Go so the system disk starts to swap a lot and is not usable.

Does someone can do a test to confirm ?

i need to import more than 1000 media clips for a docmentary, so will it take 32 Go of RAM ?

i hope there is something special like a "magic option" that i need to check or enable/disable.

thanks a lot for your feedback.

Cedric.

• 1. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
          shooternz Level 6

What are the details of the rest of your system, hardware, platform and setup?

• 3. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
            cedricyueyi Level 1

yes i use the latest CS5 5.0.2

I don't know if it was the same with the previous version.

my system is a quad core, 8Go of RAM, Quadro FX3800 and dedicated raid video hdd.

maybe someone can reproduce.

thanks a lot for your help.

• 4. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
              cedricyueyi Level 1

Hello,

is there someone else who use the new Canon XF 300 with mxf files and Premiere CS5 ?

it's a big issue for me because Premiere is not usable with that bug.

Please if someone can do a quick test.

thank you.

• 5. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                shooternz Level 6

You really just need to find out why your files are being loaded into RAM.

I can not imagine that it has anything to do with that particular camera or file type and have never heard/read  of it happening with any other.

PPRO only references the files and does not actually load them as anything but a "path and name"

Have you checked your system out . (Is it a brand new system?)

How are you importing your files into PPRO?

• 6. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                  cedricyueyi Level 1

Thanks for your help.

i agree with you, Premiere only references the clip and shouldn't load them into memory.

My system has started with Premiere CS5 5.0.0 and updated with 5.0.1 and 5.0.2

i haven't done a test with many clips with the previous version so maybe i have to uninstall and install again to see if it helps.

To import the clip, i just right clic on project window and select "import" with all the mxf clips needed.

i'm worried because Cineform has a bug to convert mxf to CF avi and native Premiere takes a lot of memory!

• 7. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                    Averdahl Level 3

Cedric, this is a known issue with the XF300/XF305. Adding more memory wont help at all. 12GB will however give you a overall better editing experience with CS5, but all 12GB will be used upon importing, 24GB will be used as well for your footage. The 5.0.2 update do not adress this issue.

However, this works:

1. Import your footage

2. Wait for all files to load/conforming

3. File > Save (have patience...)

4. Close Premiere Pro CS5 (have patience...)

5. Use the Task Manager to see that your RAM is released. (have patience)

6. Launch Premiere Pro CS5 and open the Project.

7. Edit away!

After i while all memory will all be used again, but the computer will be usable. On a 12GB machine almost all 12GB was used after approx five to ten minutes, but i could edit without slugginesh or other issues. I will try the same footage on a 24GB machine today and see if all 24GB will be used after a couple of minutes into the editing.

If the computer still is unusable after step 5, restart the computer. (I saw this happen on a 6GB machine and i was forced to restart it everytime after i imported XF300/XF305 footage.)

I have reproduced this on machines with 6GB, 12GB and 24GB RAM.

@ Todd: BR filed for approx two/three weeks ago.

• 9. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                      cedricyueyi Level 1

Is there any timeframe for a patch or next update to fix this bug?

I can't edit with PPro CS5 and mxf files, even with the workaround. i have to kill the premiere.exe process to get back to a usable system.

thanks a lot if you guys from Adobe can help us!

• 10. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                        Eric Addison User Group Manager

I don't know about any new patches for this problem, but it is a bad one. I'm seeing it with XDCAM HD footage too, both created by PPro (or AME) and from external sources as well.

Adobe is aware of it, so I would expect a fix at some point but only Adobe knows when.

What I've been doing is converting the larger clips that hang up the computer to P2 AVC-I clips using AME...but if you've got a lot of clips, that may not be the best option for you.

• 11. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                          Brett Delmage Level 1

> Is there any timeframe for a patch or next update to fix this bug?

I have just encountered this software defect too. I am editing XF-300 MXF files on Premiere Pro 5.02

I have 12 GB RAM which should be adequate. I watched my RAM get steadily depleted after I opened my project, until it was all gone. Now Premiere Pro is sluggish to the point of unusuable.

I've given Adobe a lot of hard-earned $$$$ in CS purchases and upgrades over the years. And now I can't even edit MXF files from a professional camera with Premiere Pro. I consider this a serious software defect. It's hardly one that should have been hard to find in testing.

I trust that Adobe is working on this dilligently on a bug fix. Is there somewhere I should also register this as a bug to turn up the heat, even though at least one other user has already done this?

(Now to go to other forums to warn other users not to buy Premiere Pro and/or the CS5 upgrade until this is FIXED. Mercury Playback Engine is a useless feature as it stands now.

Thanks to everyone who has previously posted on this. You saved me some time.

Brett

• 12. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jazz Seen wrote:

(Now to go to other forums to warn other users not to buy Premiere Pro and/or the CS5 upgrade until this is FIXED. Mercury Playback Engine is a useless feature as it stands now..

Well, let's not over-react - saying not to buy PPro and that MPE is "useless" because of this bug is really just your opinion. I'm using PPro everyday (with MPE) and getting lots of work done. While the bug is an annoying one, you can work around it.

You can file a bug report and let Adobe know you want it fixed, but as I stated before they do know about this.

One thing I would ask you is how are you importing your footage into PPro...are you importing just the MXF files, or are you importing the whole folder structure? Does this happen to you if you import the whole folder from the card?

• 13. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                              Brett Delmage Level 1

> While the bug is an annoying one, you can work around it.

Please share your workarounds for all of us. I'd appreciate that Eric.

> You can file a bug report and let Adobe know you want it fixed, but as I stated before they do know about this.

I am disturbed by feedback from Adobe staff in other threads that they welcome multiple feedback for feature requests, but not for software defects. It suggests to me that Adobe is more focused on building support for and releasing the next upgrade that they can charge for, rather than making the one that we already paid for, usable.

Multiple people being adversely affected by and reporting a software defect should count in priority like multiple people wanting a new feature. Adovbe doesn't fully know how their products are being used. (I am not saying this particular defect ranks as the highest one among many; it doesn't cause data corruption or loss that I know of.)

> One thing I would ask you is how are you importing your footage into  PPro...

> are you importing just the MXF files, or are you importing the  whole folder structure?

> Does this happen to you if you import the whole  folder from the card?

I don't import directly from the card. Others have reported problems in other forums when importing from cards. I also want to do as little as possibel to my master material before it is backed up.

1. I copy the whole card completely to the hard drive and a backup, using Explorer.

2. I use the PPro media browser to import from the top level "Contents" directory.

3. I create bins, sort, and log.

I'll admit I don't yet have years of PPro experience. I am a very proficient computer user (and software developer for 25 years) and have been using Photoshop as a still photogprapher for many years.

I appreciate that Adobe staff do participate in this forum and that it is not censored or closed (so google can help you find answers that have been posted here, and see problems before you encounter them). There is obviously a wealth of user expertise here that is shared, and for that I am gratefu and perhaps some day I can contribute to

I appreciate and support Adobe's transparency in posting all defects fixed in their releases - it's nice to know when something has been fixed, an this openness builds some trust. That said, I do worry though about the number of fixes in 5.0.1 and 5.0.2. It seems like CS5 was maybe rushed to market to meet some quarterly earnings target before it was truly ready. And with that, perhaps I side with the developers and testers who maybe weren't given the time to do their jobs.

Don't get me wrong. I think PPro is a pretty good product when it works, and have had no problems recommending it to others.

Brett

• 14. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I am disturbed by feedback from Adobe staff in other threads that they welcome multiple feedback for feature requests, but not for software defects.

Please, show me where you've seen this.

We frequently ask people to submit detailed bug reports, and we frequently follow up to get more information so that we can fix bugs.

For example, we recently released a bug-fix update that fixed many, many bugs, and we publicly stated in the announcement of that update that we were able to find and fix these bugs in large part because of the bug reports and crash reports that y'all have filed.

• 15. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !

Jazz Seen wrote:

> While the bug is an annoying one, you can work around it.

Please share your workarounds for all of us. I'd appreciate that Eric.

One thing you can do (and while it may not be the best way to work, it does provide a workaround) is create a watch folder with Adobe Media Encoder. Set it up so that anything that goes into that folder gets converted to P2 AVC-I 100 files - match your clips resolution (1080 or 720). PPro works with that format very well. Now, if you have a lot of files, that could take some time, but you could always set it up to run overnight and they'd be ready for you to edit the next morning. Again - not the best way to work, but I've done it with some MXF files that have given me trouble, and it's worked out fine.

I don't import directly from the card. Others have reported problems in other forums when importing from cards. I also want to do as little as possibel to my master material before it is backed up.

1. I copy the whole card completely to the hard drive and a backup, using Explorer.

2. I use the PPro media browser to import from the top level "Contents" directory.

3. I create bins, sort, and log.

I wasn't talking so much about importing and editing from the cards (which I've done for really quick review jobs on my laptop without any trouble BTW), I was talking more about after you've copied the "Contents" folder over to your hard drive.

Do you open the Media Broswer in PPro, and drag the clips into your bins? If so, try instead just importing in the whole Contents folder...Import->Contents (select "whole folder" at bottom of the window) and see if that helps. You may get an error message saying PPro doesn't recognize some files - just click past that...your footage should still come in. Does that cause PPro to slow down?

• 16. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                    Brett Delmage Level 1

Eric Addison wrote:

Do you open the Media Broswer in PPro, and drag the clips into your bins? If so, try instead just importing in the whole Contents folder...Import->Contents (select "whole folder" at bottom of the window) and see if that helps. You may get an error message saying PPro doesn't recognize some files - just click past that...your footage should still come in. Does that cause PPro to slow down?

This is what I am doing - importing the whole Contents folder. Indeed, I get the error messages for the metadata files that are not supported, and ignore those. Anyway, it was far too much hassle to import the .mxf files across many clip folders otherwise - and this technique is one I found in a forum recently which works and saves time.

PPro still eats up all the memory. Below are screen shots showing several aspect of the problem.

In this case, 20 MXF files (below) were opened. Most are the maximum (file) size as this was mostly a continuous recording of a live performance. (I've cropped the screenshots to better fit the allowable forum image sizes while maintaining some readability)

MXF files.gif

Here is part of Windows 7 Task Manager showing memory use as a new, empty PPro 5.0.2 project imported these files for the first time:

PPro_MXF_uses_all_RAM.gif

Bleahh! As per an earlier suggestion in the forum (thanks to whoever that was, I can't look up your name with my compose window open) I closed PPro at this point and reopened it. I got the memory usage below as it restarted:

PPro_MXF_restart.gif

This is only a fraction of the previous full memory usage. However this 4.2 GB memory use starts to climb as I use PPro.

I have a super-project with these and more clips - closer to 100 IIRC; roughly 7 hours of video, about half which are AVCHD and half which are XF-300 MXF. This is NOT that much video IMO - yet PPro is really stuffed on that. That's the one that originally brought me to this forum.

Eric Addison wrote:

One thing you can do (and while it may not be the best way to work, it does provide a workaround) is create a watch folder with Adobe Media Encoder. Set it up so that anything that goes into that folder gets converted to P2 AVC-I 100 files - match your clips resolution (1080 or 720). PPro works with that format very well.

I've so far avoided transcoding for editing in my projects. So I'm not familiar with the other formats and quality loss potential. If I have to transcode XF-300 , would this P2 AVC-I 100 format be the best choice? Will it maintain the 4:2:2 encoding of the XF-300? If I have to do that for now I will (and I thank you for the suggestion) But Adobe won't be gaining any kudos from me in the meantime.

Thanks for everyone's excellent contributions so far.

Brett

• 17. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                      cedricyueyi Level 1

I agree with Brett, this bug is a major defect and people wanted to buy Premiere to edit native mxf files (XDCAM HD or Canon XF300/305) should really do a trial before to spend money.

Adobe claims that Canon XF codec is supported but it's not today. i'm really thinking of moving to Avid MC5, i've done some tests and it works ! and they are really professionals with more updates (that's my point of view, sorry).

I have filled a bug report with the link provided by Todd, this is the best i can do.

I hope this will be fixed with 5.0.3. Two months or more to wait... very long

thanks for all of you.

• 18. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                        Brett Delmage Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

We frequently ask people to submit detailed bug reports, and we frequently follow up to get more information so that we can fix bugs.

For example, we recently released a bug-fix update that fixed many, many bugs, and we publicly stated in the announcement of that update that we were able to find and fix these bugs in large part because of the bug reports and crash reports that y'all have filed.

That's great to see that Adobe welcomes bug reports and fixed defects in software that customers have purchased and are now depending on to do their work and keep customers happy.

I know of at least two bug reports filed on this MXF memory problem now. Todd, can you please tell me if Adobe has escalated this defect to 'actively being fixed'? I would like to get some kind of ETA for a fix. If I don't hear that I am going to have to warn users of the MXF format in other forums about this problem, in good conscience.

Does Adobe need any more info from me? While I'm glad to provide it if necessary,  I don't believe that you should need anything from me other than what I have posted. Importing <2 hours of MXF video and checking memory usage and basic editing responsiveness is a simple use case that can easily be, and should have been, tested.

What is Adobe's official workaround for this problem in the meantime ?

Brett

• 19. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                          jsem1101

I seem to be having the same problem here.

I have a project with around 750 MXF (1x video track + 2x Audio per clip) format files, taken using a Sony PDW700, all in all around 15 hours of footage, loaded.  The project is saved and i have already edited a couple of sequences of 2 or 3 minutes, using the source footage only, all at native res etc.

When i open Premiere now, and open this project, it takes up all memory (12GB) then starts swapping and i have to wait around 1 to 2 hours before all files are loaded and i can begin editing.

Once loaded though, the memory is released and i can edit normally.  But thats still no good as i have to switch between projects throughout the day.

In any case, reading through this thread it seems there is a bug and we're waiting for a fix(?). Just thought id give my 2 pennies worth.

System Spec:

Adobe CS5 Master Collection.

HPZ600 Workstation.

Twin Zeon Quads at 2.4Ghz

12GB RAM

Velociraptor 600GB OS drive (Win7 Pro 64bit)

2TB bog standard 7200rpm scratch/storage HDD

Nvidia Quadro 4000 Graphics

The shame is, i have other projects using different (non MXF) source materials and final outputs, and they all work fine. 

If anyone has heard of another work around or if Adobe has a bug fix coming, id be glad to hear. Otherwise looks like i may have to go with the AME option of converting all the files which will scrap the current to edits i've already made.

Thanks

Jason

• 20. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                            cedricyueyi Level 1

5.0.3 update does not resolve the issue.

that's too bad !

• 21. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                              jsem1101 Level 1

Its good to know that since my earlier post (17 Dec), i also submitted a "detailed bug report" to Adobe on the same day, and got absolutely NO reply!

Having bought Adobe's master collection and a couple of other Adobe apps, not to mention previous versions of the production suite over previous years, you would have thought that would yield some kind of response.

Very Poor!

As a comparison, i recently purchased a small php contact form that cost £6, had a couple of initial set up problems, contacted the developer and got immediate support until the problem was diagnosed and resolved.

A jaded and disillusioned Adobe customer!

• 22. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>

Its good to know that since my earlier post (17 Dec), i also submitted a "detailed bug report" to Adobe on the same day, and got absolutely NO reply!

Having bought Adobe's master collection and a couple of other Adobe apps, not to mention previous versions of the production suite over previous years, you would have thought that would yield some kind of response.

Very Poor!

If you want a guaranteed response and want someone to help you to solve a problem, you contact Technical Support:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

Submitting a bug report is not how you ask for help or a response. Submitting a bug report is how you tell our engineering staff about a problem so that they can isolate it and (hopefully) fix it in future version or update. The engineers may respond if they need more information to find the problem, but a well-written bug report is actually unlikely to require a response.

• 23. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                  jsem1101 Level 1

Todd

I bothered to spend time reading through your forums before contacting technical support.  Having then discovered I don't need to contact technical support because from the above it's clear there is a bug, I bothered to then spend more time submitting as detailed a report as i could to Adobe.

There are quite a few requests above just to know if there is a time frame, but as the Adobe employee, you are more interested here in publicly telling me what I have done wrong on this forum.

An extract from the Adobe Premiere website:

• Work in real time on complex timelines and long-form projects with thousands of clips — whether your project is SD, HD, 2K, 4K, or beyond
                                                  • Open up to ten times faster on very large projects
                                                  • Mix and match key formats such as P2, XDCAM, RED, and DSLRcameras freely in the timeline, without rendering

It is now 6 months since acquiring your software, not to mention the months of meetings, proposals, and other bureaucracy we had to wade through to convince my employer yours was the best option.  They now expect me to deliver, and the software has failed to do that given it's first challenge. The event that we filmed was a huge deal for our company and the negative impact on our media team NOT producing the video to follow that up was also pretty big.

If i want technical support, i will contact technical support.  But to be honest I would prefer some idea of when I can go back to working with 18 hours of HD footage "in real time" with "thousands of clips"?

Thanks

Jason

• 24. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                    harebrainedfilms

Does anyone have an answer to this problem yet? i have looked everywhere and theres nothing. when im working with canon xf300 mxf files premiere is very unstable one minute it renders super fast next time it can take up to 17 hours. i am just finishing a one and a half minute video that uses canon xf300 mxf files along with 7D MOV files and i have also got a few after effects dynamic link projects in the timeline too, these are mainly just text. Yet it is taking hours and i mean hours to render and another thing ive noticed today is that premiere is crashing when i try and save the file. Now ive played with a test project to see if adobe would crash on that and it didnt. For the test i uploaded MXF files and an after effects project into premiere and saved it, it saved no problem but almost all my ram was used up.

My PC stats are

Intel Core i7 950 3.07GHzx8

24GB ram

NVIDIA GeForce  GTX 470

i really dont understand why it is playing up, does anyone have any ideas? all welcome

• 25. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                      r_vd_veen

Same problem here working on .mxf files from Canon XF100...

A MAJOR pain in the *ss

• 26. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Does anyone have an answer to this problem yet?

Enhanced Canon XF native support

Preview Canon XF footage  in the Media Browser panel and utilize camera metadata throughout your  preproduction and post-production workflows. Spanned clips are displayed  as a single asset in the Media Browser, reducing clutter.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/features.html

• 28. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                          Brett Delmage Level 1

Well then you (and possibly others) have been suckered by Adobe.

Firstly, none of us even know if the problem has been corrected in 5.5 yet.

Secondly, this has been a long-standing software defect in V5 - V5.03

It should be fixed in the same version that was represented and sold as working with MXF files and the XF-300.

Instead, it looks as though Adobe wants suckers you to pay $400 for an 'upgrade' to 5.5 to possibly get a bug-free version!

How ironic.

Some of you may have noted that Adobe uses free/libre/open source software in their products. Contrast the support on excellent software you can get and use for free to what Adobe does: For example, Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS (Long Term Support) and other LTS variants get free support (new, patched software with bug fixes) for 5 years!

Yet, Adobe, a commercial product with a fairly steep price, won't even fix serious software defects / bugs in versions that were just released.

Someone should take Adobe to court to get what they were sold. Creating structural change around the way MXF files are handled in V5.5 to avoid fixing the bug in 5.0 (and implcitly forcing people to pay $$$.00 for core bug fixes is shameful, IMHO.

I believe that Adobe should do the right thing and fix this problem in a maintenance release for Premiere Pro V5.

Brett

• 29. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                            r_vd_veen Level 1

"Creating structural change around the way MXF files are handled in V5.5 to avoid fixing the bug in 5.0 (and implcitly forcing people to pay $$$.00 for core bug fixes is shameful"

I have to say I totally agree with this. I really, really don't want to pay AGAIN for being able to use MXF files.

That's one of the reasons I bought 5.0...

• 30. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

To the best of my knowledge, 5.5 is the first version for which Adobe claims full support of those non-standard Canon MXF files.  From that viewpoint, it might be inaccurate to claim previous versions' inability to work with them as a bug.

Having said that, I would certainly not argue with Adobe adding full support to CS5.  (But knowing Adobe, neither would I expect it.)

• 31. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                                harebrainedfilms Level 1

I totally agree with you this is a massive problem with premiere and Adobe said CS5 would work with MXF files yet it doesnt. I have only recently bought CS5 now it looks as though i am going to have to shell out for the upgrade in the hope that this bug is fixed. I think its not fair of adobe to treat its customers like this, they want us to use there software yet when theres a problem they are very slow at correcting it. and this whole new 5.5 thing is a joke they should fix the problems with cs5 then add new items to cs5.5 not fix everything that didnt work in cs5 and make people pay again for it to work, to be honest its a joke.

they said MXF files would work but trying to edit them is a nightmare and takes a long long time. I thought the idea behind new versions was to improve the program and help the editor out well not cs5. And ive emailed Adobe asking if this bug is fixed in 5.5 and i havent had a reply yet.

• 32. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                                  tclark513 Level 3

harebrainedfilms wrote:

I totally agree with you this is a massive problem with premiere and Adobe said CS5 would work with MXF files yet it doesnt. I have only recently bought CS5 now it looks as though i am going to have to shell out for the upgrade in the hope that this bug is fixed. I think its not fair of adobe to treat its customers like this, they want us to use there software yet when theres a problem they are very slow at correcting it. and this whole new 5.5 thing is a joke they should fix the problems with cs5 then add new items to cs5.5 not fix everything that didnt work in cs5 and make people pay again for it to work, to be honest its a joke.

they said MXF files would work but trying to edit them is a nightmare and takes a long long time. I thought the idea behind new versions was to improve the program and help the editor out well not cs5. And ive emailed Adobe asking if this bug is fixed in 5.5 and i havent had a reply yet.

You guys should try sending a PM to the adobe guys on this forum.  It seems for some reason they are not responding to the open forum.

• 33. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                    Adobe said CS5 would work with MXF files yet it doesnt.

With Canon files specifically?  MXF is simply a container, much like AVI or MOV.  Such files can contain all sorts of codecs and other data.  PP works fine with P2 media, which uses the MXF container.  But I don't recall Adobe ever advertising CS 5 working with these Canon files.  CS 5.5 is the first I can recall them being specifically mentioned as compatible.

• 34. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                                                      > With Canon files specifically?  MXF is simply a container, much like AVI or MOV.  Such files can contain all sorts of codecs and other data.  PP works fine with P2 media, which uses the MXF container.  But I don't recall Adobe ever advertising CS 5 working with these Canon files.  CS 5.5 is the first I can recall them being specifically mentioned as compatible.

Here's the relevant part of the Premiere Pro CS5 Help page about supported import formats:

"Some filename extensions—such as MOV, AVI, MXF, FLV, and F4V—denote container file formats rather than denoting a specific audio, video, or image data format. Container files can contain data encoded using various compression and encoding schemes. Premiere Pro can import these container files, but the ability to import the data that they contain is dependent on the codecs (specifically, decoders) installed.

MXF (Media eXchange Format; P2 Movie: Panasonic Op-Atom variant of MXF, with video in DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO 50, DVCPRO HD, AVC-Intra; XDCAM HD Movie, Sony XDCAM HD 50 (4:2:2), Avid MXF Movie)"

• 35. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                                        r_vd_veen Level 1

After a lot of words that are not fit for public use I have switched to Vegas now.

Just finished a project with 100+ .mxf files from Canon XF100, importing again took all available memory, but after import memory was released and editing was a breeze... I'm thinking of posting this info on Canon boards as well so people know in advance. I love my XF100 and love Premiere but this really sucks!

• 36. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                                          kmaultsby@live.com Level 1

I am rookie at this so please forgive me.  I was looking at purchasing XF300 so this posting caught my attention. Maybe I am missing something here but wasn't CS5 out first and working ok until Canon came out with XF300?  I no my Sony AVCHD works great using MXF files.  Everyone is pointing to Adobe instead of Canon.  Could someone please help me understand?  Is any of the other editing system having the same problem Avid FC?

Message was edited by: kmaultsby@live.com making a correction

• 37. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                                            michannliz

This is very concerning. I am just about to purchase the C

anon XF300. In the Canon White Paper it states that Adobe P

remier Pro offers Native support to MXF files from the Xf300. I also have an Adobe paper on

'Using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 with canon Digital Video Cameras' in which it states they have collaborated with cann to bring highly effecient file and tape workflow giving using native ability to edit HD XF MPEg 2 from the Canon XF 305/300.

The problem you discuss here is concerning. The project I work on is done over a week after work. I currently use AVID and was only looking to change so I didnt need a plug in.  Maybe I should look at Grass Valley Edius (as they also advertise they have native input of XF 300 MXF files) as I dont have the time to deal with the problems you are describing here or the know how to make the changes to the file type. I am glad I read this or I would have been making a huge mistake. I would like to know if this problem has been fixed.

• 38. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                                              r_vd_veen Level 1

Whatever you decide: DO buy the XF300. it is a fantastic camera. I'm glad you mentioned the whitepapers though. I can't seem to find them again but do remember having read the same thing.

I am still trying to find the best setting for the projects, in Premiere I simply choose Canon XF and export to FLV in one flow. After that I would export a second H264 HQ version for Youtube. But now, having to edit in Vegas, I use XDCam because we also use a Sony EX3. Unfortunately enough the difference is visible in the endproject (which is FLV converted from Sony XDCam 35Mbps (which is uploaded to Youtube).  If there is a better suggestion how to get the best result I would be glad to hear it...

Ia m still very unhappy with this...

• 39. Re: canon XF300, Premiere CS5 use a huge memory with mxf files !
                                                                                G Birkett

Hi,

I have found a solution to the memory problem with MXF fikles and Canon XF 305/300 camera files.  It is a temporary solution using a memory cleaner.  The memory cleaner starts up with windows and runs in the background.  At 80% of memory used it cleans out some memory giving you back about 20%.  This happens automatically.

The sytem I have is an HP Z800 with 57gb Ram, 8Tb of media storge, Quadro 5000 graphics and Matrox LE Max.  Before using Memory Cleaner I had all memory used up when loading 2x 64g CF cards.  I could do about 40 mins editing and then - well crash upon crash etc.  Now I hardly ever have a crash and the odd one that does happen is due to probably to me.  I'm using CS 5.02 Production Premium at the moment and am waiting to jump up to CS 5.5.

Anyway, just to say the Memory Cleaner works for me - It's free so perhaps consider giving it at try. Perhaps Adobe may have a view on using this tool - I've not seen any references to use of this type of item so no guarantees it will work for you.

Here is the link:

http://www.koshyjohn.com/software/

see Memory Cleaner 1.50

Once loaded you can leave it running in a small window on top of Premiere until you are happy it's working and clearing the memory.  At least for me it sits now always running in the background.

Good Luck to you.

Gavin

1 2 3 4 Previous Next