6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 6:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Problems with .VOB files in Premiere Elements 7

JacobLarsen

I have had adobe premiere elements 7 for about 2 years and it has worked great. The problem I am having is that I imported a bunch of .VOB movie files and put them in the timeline how I wanted them but the files in the organizer are saying that they need to be located. So I went in the window that popped up and located the files but I got an error message that said that the file type was not supported or the required codec is not installed. So what is the matter? This has never happened before.

• 1. Re: Problems with .VOB files in Premiere Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, did your Copy the VOB's to your HDD?

How were these VOB files created?

PrE will Import many VOB's, but has trouble with some others. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more about those particular VOB files.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems with .VOB files in Premiere Elements 7
            JacobLarsen Level 1

Thank you, The files were created using a video camera that records onto mini DVDs. I imported them onto an external hard drive using the import agent in PrE and it worked fine for a while but one day it just stopped recognizing the files and would not let me locate them. So I ended up getting a new external hard drive for the computer (which we needed anyway) and after copying the files over there it let me locate them and it now works fine. Sorry it took so long to get back. Thanks again.

Jacob

• 3. Re: Problems with .VOB files in Premiere Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jacob,

That things are working for you is great news, and it does not matter if you reported instantly, or when you had the opportunity. We just like good news here.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problems with .VOB files in Premiere Elements 7
                emrah atilkan Level 1

i write a solution for the people who comes from google.

it worked for me, but my friend had no sound with the same way. it can change according to computer may be codec or something.

orjinal link is -> http://goo.gl/0z8NT

and if link are old ->

The Solution: You need to rename your vob file to mpg. Sample: "sample.VOB" to "sample.MPG" and your premiere pro (cs4) will read it and after that just right click on your time line and click on "Fiel options.." so you can choose from always deinterlace or Flicker removal so you won't see any lines on your video while it's playing.

• 5. Re: Problems with .VOB files in Premiere Elements 7
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thank you for the suggestion, Viaria.

However, you should not need to do this if your project is set up properly for this type of video.

• 6. Re: Problems with .VOB files in Premiere Elements 7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for posting.

As Steve mentions, as of PrPro CS4.2, and about PrE 4.0, Adobe has provided support for 100% DVD-compliant (VERY important) VOB's, which contain the MPEG-2 files. The first VOB will also contain any Menus and navigation. With VOB's, that are not 100% DVD-compliant, it's usually the first VOB, that gives people issues.

Your method is one that I also recommend, as a possible workflow, with problem VOB's, in this ARTICLE. It can be a very useful method, when the VOB's do not Import, as they should, though is not foolproof. Some VOB's are so poorly formed, regarding the DVD-specs., that the normal Import, or even the renaming will not work. We see this most often with DVD's created with a DVR machine. Those devices are notorious for producing non-DVD-spec. VOB's and especially the first one, with the rudimentary Menu and navigation.

For cameras, that shoot mini-DVD's, one should finalize the mini-DVD in the camera, so that the VOB(s) will Import well.

Appreciated, as issues with VOB's often come up here, and getting the fixes out can save people a great deal of grief.

Hunt