2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 7:20 PM by jyeager11

Where can I download the lightest possible Java plugin?

jyeager11 Level 1

This is pretty much as OT as it gets, but... anyone know where I can download the Java plugin with the smallest footprint?

The last couple of computer builds forcing me to re-install Java resulted in a very annoying Java logo and update notices interrupting me and whathaveyou... I don't want a full Java software package. I just want the smallest possible file that will allow me to run Java applets on Firefox and IE. I don't want anything resident!

I know the bloatness of Quicktime spawned lighter non-Apple versions of it... has something similar been done for Java now that it has become similarly bloated?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Where can I download the lightest possible Java plugin?
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

I had a problem with java for awhile.  Seems it installed versions on top of versions, etc, etc.  You could try going to the control panel and removing all current and previous installations of Java and then going back to the Sun site to download it.  Unfortunately, I don't think they have full and light packages last time I checked my Windows 7 box.  With Apple, Java gets updated with the OS, so I haven't seen any updates lately, nor have I seen it on the Win 7 box since doing that clean out of all things Java.

• 2. Re: Where can I download the lightest possible Java plugin?
            jyeager11 Level 1

I remember a day when the browser's Java plugin would not trigger Java until the browser was loaded. There was no resident icon in the tray, nor did the damn thing call home to tell us when a new update was available.

It was light, unobtrusive, and installing it was a no-brainer.

Nowadays, it's become this annoying thing that gets loaded on boot-up, not browser opening... it calls home... and who knows what else it does.

Surely someone out there has come up with a LITE alternative? I'd even go for an "unapproved by Sun" version at this point.