11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 10:53 PM by adobe-admin

Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips

dneck184

I am pretty new to flash and my professor gave us an assignment with little help or tutorials.

He wants us to create a SWF that features a house and it's front yard and two buttons.

One button that says Sunrise, and one that says Sunset.

When I push the sunrise button, the sun needs to rise above the house and stay there.  When I push the Sunset button, it needs to set- and then a ufo needs to land on the lawn.

So i think I have a pretty good grasp on the assignment, but the actionscript is throwing me off.  How can I make buttons that will control the sun movie clip to rise- stay above the house, and then set?  The ufo is a whole new matter.   The sunset button should make the sun lower and then a ufo land on the lawn.

Please help explain/link me to the proper tutorials.   One thing that i'm worried about is that the sun will rise- and then stay above the house even if i click the sunset button.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

• 2. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips
          dneck184 Level 1

Sorry to bump- but Please help me if you can!

I want my movie clip of the sun to come in with a button and sit above the house- and then when I click the sunset button I want it to move down to the other bottom corner of the screen

• 3. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should talk to your professor or classmates regarding what you should already know from your lessons that would enable you to do these tasks.  The risk you run in seeking help like this is getting a solution that your professor would never expect you to have knowledge of, one that you could never explain how it works.... which can be detrimental to your professor's rating of you.

• 4. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips
              dneck184 Level 1

Your answer makes sense, but he gave us the assignment with limited knowledge or tutorials, and I think he wants us to figure it out.  He showed us the SWF file and that's it.  He even said- reverse engineer it.

• 5. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips

Yes, that sounds like he has challenged you to take what you should have learned and apply it to what you need to create.  That is normal for a professor to do, but what isn't normal is for students to go out asking people to provide solutions for their assignments.  I've never met a professor that took offense to being asked questions... you might not like the answers, but at least you have them to work from.  If you don't try you'll never know.

If you could show some effort and explain what you have tried that isn't working you might be more likely to get help, but coming here with nothing more than a set of design requirements isn't going to gain you much favor.

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips
                  dneck184 Level 1

I was pretty specific. I need help with the actionscript to make buttons that control a movie clip. I need them to move the sun to a certain frame with the sunrise button, and I need the sunset button to pick up where the frames left off and finish the rest of the movieclip.  I didn't just drop off design requirements

I am very  new to this and so far most of the tutorials and forum users have not been helpful.

"So i think I have a pretty good grasp on the assignment, but the  actionscript is throwing me off.  How can I make buttons that will  control the sun movie clip to rise- stay above the house, and then set?   The ufo is a whole new matter.   The sunset button should make the sun  lower and then a ufo land on the lawn.

Please help  explain/link me to the proper tutorials.   One thing that i'm worried  about is that the sun will rise- and then stay above the house even if i  click the sunset button."

You could at least point me in the direction of some tutorials or other good resources. It's a pretty easy assignment.

Message was edited by: Jochem van Dieten

• 7. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips
                    dneck184 Level 1

Its definitely unfair to say I didn't show any effort. I offered my ideas on what might work and asked if someone could point me towards learning some action script that would help me control buttons and movie clips-- not exactly the hardest thing to do in the world.  Thanks though, I really appreciate your advice.

• 8. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips

That isn't nice, resorting to name-calling and insults... Hopefully you can mature out being like that.  You could only describe what you want and have not tried anything yourself.  I gave you the fairest advice I could considering this is supposed to be your task to tackle.

• 9. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips
                        AttaBoy2 Level 4

There are different ways to go about this.  I'm assuming this is a beginning flash class and he's probably taught you basic timeline tweening.

You would need to draw the sun and convert to a symbol and position it behind the house on a layer lower than one that the house is on in frame 1.

Also on frame 1 on a layer above the other graphics draw a black rectangle that covers everything convert to a symbol and set the alpha to about 0.3.

Next 20 or 30 or so frames down the timeline insert a keyframe position the sun high in the sky and set the alpha for the rectangle  to 0. Right click anywhere between frame 1 and the last frame and select clasic tween.  Do that with both the sun layer and the black overlay layer. Create a layer above the others for actionscript on frame 1 in the actions layer open a actionscript window F9 then write stop();.  Extend the timeline out another 20 or 30 ftames.  In the actions layer on the first frame of this new section say 21 or 31 open the actions window and write stop(); for the final frame insert a keyframe put the sun down and the alpha dark there then create new tweens.  Make sure all layers extend to the same number of frames.

Now create a new layer just below the actions layer name it buttons draw either 2 movieclips or 2 buttons there.  Select the button called sunrise open the actions window and write gotoAndPlay(1); next  select the button called sunset open the actions window and write gotoAndPlay(21);

If you're looking for good online tutorials and you have $25 go to lynda.com otherwise try gotoandlearn.com

• 10. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips
                          Cobie_69

Well i can think of a few ways to do this.

Depending on what you have been taught so far you should be able to do this if you know how to make a button, a movie clip, and the basic script for the timeline. ie. play,stop, gotoandplay etc.

I understand you have been set a task and you want the answer straight away. But i doubt he would have given you anything you couldn't handle. Also I learnt more from trial and error and searching the net than from most of my teachers at coll and uni, It's frustrating i know, but the buzz you get when you finally crack it is amazing. Stick in there!

That being said i remember the panic I suffered and like to help so here's a thought:

You could just have the 2 buttons play a basic movie clip. The sky could rotate one way to make the sun rise and add a "stop" in the actions to make it stay there, and to the left to sunset with both images together but not being shown all the time by using a mask. You could even add in the ufo to the clip but this would only work if you added an extra part to the movie so that when the ufo has landed it flys out again and then begins to rotate the sun and moon again. ( buttons would be dissabled during the play modes to avoid chaos) This is just a quick thought. I'm sure there are several ways of doing this depending on how fancy it needs to be.

If your teacher really has given you no notes on buttons,movieclips and actionscript i would sujest Adobe TV. Nice videos that explain step by step. OR try downloading a tutorial file with buttons and movie clips and look at the coding they use in the file. Thats how i have learnt most of it since finishing Uni.

Good Luck

Cobie

• 11. Re: Help with assignment- buttons that control movie clips
                            adobe-admin Adobe Employee

dneck184,

Please, don't call people names on this forum.

The terms of use of this website that you agreed to when creating an account and logging in require you to not be abusive to other users on this website. Failure to adhere to the terms of use may result in a termination of your ability to post messages on this forum.