1 2 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 11:25 AM by HardyL65

Premiere Elements 9 is here!

Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Adobe has officially announced the release of Premiere Elements 9 (as well as Photoshop Elements 9 and the Elements 9 Organizer).

This is a very exciting build that not only fixes many of the performance issues in version 8, but it includes a much wider range of project presets -- including presets for video from Flip camcorders and video from high quality still cameras like the Canon EOS. It also works natively with AVCHD video, which means that files no longer need to be rendered on your timeline until you add effects or transitions to it.

If you'd like to know more about this exciting new release, see the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/725424?tstart=0

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
          speede541 Level 1

Perfect timing, Steve, because I have the same (edited) question I asked a year ago when Premiere Elements 8 arrived:

Sep 24, 2009

Premiere Elements 89 & native support for Samsung [H.264/MPEG-4] video?

I'm excited about the release of version 89 of PSE and PE, but my big unanswered question is stated in the subject line: will Premiere Elements 89 natively support the MP4 files produced by my Samsung HMX-H104 ?

I've been entirely unsuccessful with this file format and PE7.

I've read throught the product descriptions and FAQ and Adobe makes reference to cameras from flash-drive camcorders, but doesn't offer any specifics. Native support looks like a crapshoot. Anybody with some insight to contribute?

Some snippets attempting to differentiate true AVCHD from Samsung's AVC/H.264 format:

"The Samsung ... outputs video in the H.264/MPEG-4 format (the file extension is .MP4). This highly-compressed video codec should not be confused with the competing AVCHD format. AVCHD is a type of H.264/MPEG-4 codec, but the version Samsung employs is different, with both benefits and drawbacks."

...and...

"The Samsung HMX-H105 records video in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format, the same as models from the previous years. MPEG-4 has clearly been adopted as the format of choice for HD camcorders, split into two camps. Sony, Canon, Panasonic, and most recently JVC, all use AVCHD, which is a subset of AVC/H.264. AVCHD experienced some serious stumbling blocks in its first few years, as existing hardware and software choked on the heavy data loads. It has, however, gotten much better in the past year. AVC/H.264 is also data-heavy, at least compared to old standard definition camcorders, but the format is easier to read. QuickTime can work perfectly with the files, and has the benefit of being free and dual-platform."

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!

You should find much improved performance in version 9, Speede!

The only liability I've found at all is that it seems to struggle with MP3 music. But, when I've converted them to WAV files, the program runs very smoothly on both a Mac and a PC.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
              speede541 Level 1

Excellent. I was very close to buying a competing video editor, and am glad I waited. I'll download the trial tonight and try it out. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!

It still does require a pretty powerful computer to work with AVCHD -- so I still recommend trying before you buy.

But you should definitely see greatly improved performance with than video file types as compared to previous versions of the program.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                  PatrickDyer44 Level 1

Can't say I'm overjoyed to hear that Adobe has released version 9 of Premier Elements as I have just spent good money on version 8 and am totally baffled as to why I can't get that version to work properly (no, make that work at all!). I am seeking help at present from the Adobe support team and via the forums but the program is totally unusable and to think that if I had waited I might not have wated my money!

Patrick

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good, and long awaited news Steve! Thanks for breaking it here.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Patrick,

If you purchased PrE 8 within 30 days, Adobe normally offers a free upgrade to the newer version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

I think some people would say that if you've bought PrE 8 within the last year, Adobe should be offering a free upgrade

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                          nealeh Level 5

And on the same day that MAGIX release their  Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus product.

As for PRE9, Amazon shows the product as available for pre-order, released 1st November 2010. Surely Adobe couldn't have fibbed to them, could they?  Mind you, Amazon UK doesn't show the product at all and following the Adobe on-line store still routes to PRE8.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                            carrilmm1 Level 1

Has anyone had a chance to test to see if the trial

version will work with the MTS files from the Panasonic HDC -TM700k.  This camera can output 1080p60 video files.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

You are correct. I am sure that there are some users with PrE 1, who feel that they should get a free upgrade.

Now, normally Adobe does offer an upgrade path, with significant discounts for users of previous versions, but I do not know if they do with PrE and PSE. Normally, they do offer an upgrade path for PrE users, who purchase PrPro, but do not know what that discount is. I also do not think that offer is good for the entire lifespan of the PrPro product.

Some software companies also offer "competitive upgrades" from say Adobe Illustrator to Corel Draw, etc., but those offers seem to come and go. I cannot recall Adobe having such, but could easily have just missed them.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                PatrickDyer44 Level 1

If that's so then that's a bit of good news as I purchased it just 11 days

ago.

Thanks

Patrick

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Patrick,

In another, similar thread, a purchaser contacted Adobe, and they had not gotten the details of the "free upgrade" from a recent purchase, worked out yet. I feel certain that they will over the next few days. If you purchased from the Adobe Store, they should have all of your info. If you purchased from another source, you will want to register your purchase, and hold on to all paperwork.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                    DI_oN Level 1

Sad to say but Premiere Elements 9 is slow as molasses for the .mov files from my 550d/T2i :-|

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the full specs. of your computer?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!

And of course MOV files could be anything from still camera video to hi-def to .H264 1920x1080. Plus there are your specs to consider, as Bill says.

So it's kind of unfair to just make a flip comment without giving us any details.

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One question was answered by the Adobe page... PreEl 9 is still 32bits, since WinXP is supported

Back a bit ago, in one of the many "when will v9 be out" questions, I and a few others opined that 64bit was not likely... we were right

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                            nealeh Level 5

How did you enter your smiley? For many people Adobe have broken a lot of formatting features to reduce spam (something to do with preventing invisible links). In my case smileys no longer work nor do Underline Strikethrough Font Colour, although they all (except smiley) show in the initial post creation but disappear when posted.

Testing formats

A new improvement

Testing formatting

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale
                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Let's see what we can still do regarding formatting

Strikethrough

Underline

Bold

Font Size

Color

Style

All show properly in the editing window, so let's see what happens in the post.

Hunt

[Edit] Looks like Underline, Font Size and Color did not function. Danged spammers and miscreants. First we lost Attach File, then much of our formatting.

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                Ed.Macke Level 3

I meant more in the sense that, for a lot of people, PrE 8 wasn't exactly a stellar release and v9 should be more of a free "fix pack". Kind of like Win7 should be a free Vista "fix pack".

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                  Ed.Macke Level 3

Funny you should mention that. I tried the normal route of clicking on the icon thingy in the format bar. That didn't work (it seemed to insert some sort of blank graphic or something).

When that didn't work, I gave up and simply went old-school and entered a colon and a closing parenthesis. When I did that, it converted it to a graphic!

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I see your point there.

I think that MS's best ad line should have been, "and remember, Win7 is NOT Vista... "

Hunt

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                      nealeh Level 5

Very odd though that the features lost are inconsistent (e.g. I cannot do strikethough or smileys, whereas you can).

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Could it be browser dependent? I am on Google Chrome. Will try on IE 7 later on.

Hunt

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                          carrilmm1 Level 1

Is the trial version not fully operational.  I could only find a few title inserts as well as themes.  Will all template based material be available for use once we buy the full version?

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                            gpecht Level 1

You have to download the extra content from here:

http://www.adobe.com/special/premiereel/downloads/

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                              KevinPurcell Level 1

My personal experience with the trial version is that with my Panasonic HDC TM15 importing HD video (MTS files) was fine and playback is better than v. 8 was, but sadly the overall performance while editing, zooming in/out of the timeline, etc. is very slow and sluggish still. This was why I left for Sony Vegas and was hoping that v. 9 would bring me home, but not yet.

I have an Intel Quad Core processor with 8 GB of ram and Geforce 9600 video card and 7200 rpm hard drive.

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                                VDOSurfer Level 3

Works like a charm for whetever I tried!!! Burnt a disc with 15 mins of edited AVCHD and I AM HAPPY!

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                                  u2metoo@ Level 1

Speede,

Have you had a chance to see you can edit native h.264/mp4 files yet?

I just ordered a Gopro HD (don't have it yet), but I understand the most consumer video editors won't digest h.264/mp4 footage without running it through a DV-AVI converter that uncompresses it first.

Anybody else have luck editing files in this format with PE 9?

• 30. AVCHD
                                                                    jerrkowa Level 1

A key feature I want is the ability to create a HD video using a  standard (not BLURAY) burner. In other words being able to burn an AVCHD  file to a 4.7GB disk. Premiere 9.0 does not appear to have this  feature. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

• 31. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                                      speede541 Level 1

Eh, I'd given up on this thread since it quickly devolved into talk of smiley faces and strikethrough characters, BUT since you asked...          

Yeah, I loaded up a good size chunk of MP4 video straight out of my Samsung HMX-H100 series camera and, whereas Premiere Elements 7 would instantly choke on it and result in errors, the trial version of Premiere Elements 9 handled it with no trouble, and playback in the editor (pre-rendering) was smoother than what I get with Quicktime.

As an earlier poster mentioned, Premiere Elements does bog down a little in that the timeline doesn't keep up during playback, and the "needle" (I don't know what it's really called -- it's the line on the timeline that shows what point in the video is currently being displayed) just stops moving. So this makes it nearly impossible to see what side of an edit point I'm on without pausing the playback.

I loaded up an MP3 audio track to pair up with my video, and so far no hiccups. I don't know the file's bitrate, but it's at least 128.

I haven't rendered anything yet (other than playing with time stretch inside the editor), so I'm not ready to give PE9 a wholehearted thumbs up just yet. But everything so far looks encouraging.

System is a Quad Core 2.4 GHz Q6600 w/ 3GB of RAM, if I recall correctly, running Vista 32. 

• 32. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                                        u2metoo@ Level 1

...thanks Speede!  That's good news.

"I haven't rendered anything yet (other than playing with time stretch inside the editor), so I'm not ready to give PE9 a wholehearted thumbs up just yet. But everything so far looks encouraging."

Yeah, I guess before I purchase, I better make sure it vid plays back smoovly.  I think I read some where some people have had success droping an h.264 file on the timeline in PE 8, but the final rendered project didn't playback properly.

------------------------

As workflow goes any opinions out there abut would it be better to work with an uncompressed (up res'd) file or in the native h.264 format; assuming you have a robust enough rig?

• 33. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a little ARTICLE by a PrE user with a GoPro.

Hope that that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: AVCHD

Are you talking about burning a BluRay video file to a DVD or are you literally talking about burning AVCHD video to a DVD? There's a huge difference!

And when you save AVCHD, do you literally mean an AVCHD file or an H.264 compressed MP4? Again, there is a huge difference!

There are certainly ways to create a H.264 MP4 or MOV file in Premiere Elements which you can then easily burn to a DVD -- but is that what you're really looking to do? It's by no means a BluRay disc.

• 35. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                                              jerrkowa Level 1

Burning a AVCHD video to a DVD. Actually I already have Pinnacle Studio HD14 which readily does this, but I prefer Adobe software due to past problems with Pinnacle software.

To expand a bit, I have a camcorder and a still camera which will take HD movies, but I certainly can not afford to buy a BLURAY burner and BLURAY disks whereas the 30 min. of HD that one can create with AVCHD and a standard DVD burner is an acceptable solution for me..

• 36. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                                                RaceGuy Level 1

Damn, I just knew that was going to happen because I finally seem to have sorted out working with the giant mp4 video files I get off the 16 GB SD-HC cards from my tiny HeroPro HD video cameras that I use to get HD in-car video recording at race tracks.  But I guess the PreE 9 upgrade from my current PrE 8 would be a good thing -- I know I would especially like and make good use of the enhanced AVCHD capability and other presets -- and hopefully they have fixed all or most of the PreE 8 bugs and incompatibilities -- but I have to confess I was really hoping the new version would be 64-bit.

By the way, sorting out my rendering issues when working with large mp4 files for me involved an updated driver for my NVIDIA GTX260 card, disabling all 3-D capabilities on the card and also turning off GPU in PrE 8, temporarily disabling all Norton Internet Security stuff while working with PrE 8 and also disconnecting the computer from my ethernet wired LAN, and finally something I found recently in this Forum which was importing the HeroPro HD mp4 raw files into the latest version of StreamClip and then immediately exporting out the StreamClip (QuickTime 7?) version of mp4 to an uncompressed mp4 file (that doubles the file size -- to 6 GB in my case today -- but seems to give me the best quality and no render issues, hangups, or crashes so far with the above changes for editing and rendering).  Maybe I should rethink upgrading to PrE 9 for awhile?

I am using a fairly new HP Pavilion Elite HPE 180t with Intel x58 mobo chip-set and Intel quad-core i7 930 CPU running at 2.8 GHz, OS is Win 7 x64 Ultimate, 12 GB of DDR3 Ram, single NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 graphics card with 1.8 GB memory, PSU upgraded to the excellent Corsair TX650W, two internal 1-T WD Caviar Black HDDs, two internal BD optical drives, a 23-inch HP full 1920x1080p monitor, and am using the on-board sound and Gigabit network adapters.  This is a pretty fast and cool running system and the dang thing is as close to silent running with the after-market Corsair PSU that I have ever seen in nearly 30 years of owning PCs -- the new HP Pavilion Elite model lines seem to have good quality now and the prices are competitive as well -- I ordered mine with free shipping directly from HP and could not be happier with it (no, I have no financial or other connections to HP).

Message was edited by: rdopso

• 37. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                                                  lord nacho Level 1

Doesn't play the audio of my mts files in Elements Organizer.  Anybody know why?

• 38. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!

For individual technical questions like this, it's probably best to start your own thread, nacho.

This thread is really just an announcement, and if we start trying to help everyone who with a technical challenge at the same time, this thread is just going to fray and get confusing.

Thanks.

• 39. Re: Premiere Elements 9 is here!
                                                                                      David Osborn Level 1

I ordered Premiere Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements 8 exactly three weeks ago today. Can someone provide the details on getting the free upgrade to version 9? Thanks!

1 2 Previous Next