8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 6:14 PM by ~graffiti

Reader 7 still installed

AsaRand

After reading the threads on the link problems with reader 9.3.4, I am not certain that this is an issue now. However, I would still like to have an answer.

I installed 9.3.4 a short time ago. I thought I was using it all this time, but I was apparently still using reader 7. This is because I normally double-click a pdf and it launches reader. Today I selected reader 9 from the programs menu under the start button, and the first thing it did was configure reader 9. Further inspection showed that reader 7 was still installed.

My questions are:

Is is necessary to keep reader 7 installed if I am using reader 9?

Is there anything I should be aware of, concerning removing reader 7, in the way of "don't let this dll get deleted", or anything like that?

I have not tried to uninstall reader 7 yet, because I want to know the answers to these questions before I proceed. I don't need the system getting a conflict about which version to run, and I'm not certain about any of this.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Reader 7 still installed
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The answer greatly depends on what OS you are running.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reader 7 still installed
            AsaRand Level 1

I'm sorry. I should have thought about that.

I am running XP Pro SP3 on a HP/Compaq nx9020 notebook (1.5GHz Celeron M) with 2 Gigs RAM.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Reader 7 still installed

The best thing to do would be to uninstall Reader 7 (you don't need it) then reinstall version 9. Uninstalling 7 will more than likely break

version 9 so that's why the reinstall is needed.

Typically, 9 should have removed 7. Not sure why it didn't in your case.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Reader 7 still installed
                AsaRand Level 1

OK. I looked in the folder for a uninstaller. No such animal. I opened Add or Remove Programs from the Control Panel. Reader 7 was not in the list, but Reader 9 was. I uninstalled 9. Both 7 and 9 are still in my Program Files folder, along with all of the files and sub-folders associated with each. There is also a 3rd folder, named Acrobat.com. It was not removed either. In the A/R Programs there is also an item named Reader Japanese Fonts. I don't know what this is for, or when it was installed, but it did not get removed when I removed Reader 9.

I'm wondering what is going on here. Since 9 has been uninstalled, and 7 wasn't in the list, can I safely delete the Reader 7 and 9 folders? And what about the Acrobat.com folder? What is that for?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Reader 7 still installed

Acrobat.com is an online PDF creation tool. It has a free trial and is cheaper than purchasing Acrobat but you don't need it. The option to uninstall should be in Add/Remove programs.

As for the rest, it sounds like you have a bit of a mess going on. I would uninstall anything you can that has to do with all versions Adobe Reader then download the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.sh tml (it's not available on the MS site any more since it doesn't work with Win7) and remove all traces of Adobe REader using that utility.

After that, you should be able to do a clean install of Reader 9 from http://get.adobe.com/reader/. This should clear it up.

You can leave the Japanese language fonts. If you come across a PDF with Japanese characters it will come in handy and it shouldn't use up much room.

• 6. Re: Reader 7 still installed
                    AsaRand Level 1

I am downloading Reader 9 now. When I installed Reader 9 and noticed the Reader 7 folder still in existence, I found the folder for adobe.com. When I ran Add or Remove programs, adobe.com was nowhere to be found, but there was something called Adobe.Air. I didn't know what that was, and there was no folder by that name. When Reader 7 was not found in the list, and only 9.3.4 was, I decided to remove that one and start over.

When that was done, I went back to the Adobe folder, and Adobe.com folder was still there, along with Reader 7.0 and Reader 9.0. After your last post, I decided to go all the way and just start from the beginning. I deleted the Reader folders before running the Installer Cleaner. When I ran that, I noticed it showed adobe.com, but not adobe.air. I quit, relaunched A/R-P. adobe.air was there, adobe.com was not. Since you had said I didn't need adobe.com anyway, I decided to make sure. I uninstalled adobe.air, quit and ran the cleaner. adobe.com was still there. I deleted it, quit and looked in the adobe folder. Adobe.com was still there. I deleted it.

When I went to download reader 9.3.4, I was required to reinstall the adobe download manager. It appears adobe.air and adobe dlm are related somehow. The one installed now seems to have a different version number from the one I had, but I did not record that number for comparison, so I can't be certain. The download is taking awhile. When I started writing this post I was 37% into the download. It is now 47%. I hope this fixes things. The only things adobe that I did not uninstall are the flash plugins, and the shockwave plugins and player.

Thanks for your help. When the download completes, and I reinstall Reader, I'll post whether or not it is fixed. However, I consider this question answered, since anything else would likely have to be system related, and not an adobe problem.

• 7. Re: Reader 7 still installed
                      AsaRand Level 1

OK. Everything seems to be good. I noticed that an axtra was downloaded that I didn't know about. Something to do with the Flash player/plugin. I'll check it out soon.

Thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: Reader 7 still installed

You're welcome.

Yeah one thing to watch out for with Adobe downloads is by defualt, they have all the extra junk checked (bad web practices in my opinion). You need to be sure and deselect everything but what you're after.

Glad things are back to normal for you.