11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2010 7:34 PM by the_wine_snob

PE 9 and Cubase

AskMrScience Level 1

I can only hope that I won't have to rename my Cubase VST directory just to make PE work.  That's been a problem with every version I've used since 4.0

• 1. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE goes out looking for VST's, and will try to load all that it finds. This ARTICLE will give you some more details.

Now, as of CS4, PrPro does a neat thing. When it tries to load a VST, and it cannot, it makes note of that one, and does not try again. Unfortunately, with a ton of VST's, one might need to launch the program dozens of times, until that blacklist is complete. Maybe PrE 9 has added that?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
            AskMrScience Level 1

It's the VSTi's that cause the most trouble, especially when the dongle isn't present!  From what I've read about PrPro I'd happily use it, but I've already spent too much on Photoshop and Audition (and Cubase!)

• 3. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I have not heard of any way to "blacklist" VST's for PrE.

There was one user, who Moved the problem VST's to the Desktop. The audio program was then pointed to those, and PrE ran fine. Desktop is a special folder, and apparently PrE will not look there, as it's a System Folder. Do not recall which audio editor that user had.

Good luck, and wish I had some easy fix for you,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
                AskMrScience Level 1

Say, that's an interesting idea!

No harm in giving it a try anyway.  Thanks!

• 5. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I've never tried it, but only have a few of what I call "level 2 VST's." Those are ones that Premiere cannot use 'em, but can load them just fine. In the case of my PrPro, it threw one warning message, when I first installed those, telling me that they would be loaded, but could not be used by PrPro. After that first appearance, I've seen it no more.

Good luck, and please report what method works for you, as it WILL benefit others over time.

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
                    AskMrScience Level 1

I can rename the Vstplugins directory and that works fine as a workaround for PE8, but I haven't (so far) found a way to make Cubase look in a different location.  I'm reluctant to mess with the registry too much, assuming of course that it would help. Looks like there are already relevant PE9 posts, so I'll keep an eye on those.

• 7. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Been awhile since I last worked with Cubase, but I thought that it had a Preference setting for VST directory. Maybe my memory is just more feeble, than I thought.

It appears that PrE 9 has not adopted the PrPro "blacklist" method of working around problem VST's. That disappoints me. An alternate would be to have a way to limit PrE as to which folder(s) to look in for VST's, and to ignore all others on a system. Many users have tons of VST's, and especially the instrument VST's, which seem to cause the most problems. I've got a bunch for Audition, and some of the Magix music programs, but so far, all are no worse than "Level 2" VST's, so I have been lucky.

Good luck, and if you do find settings for Cubase, please post, as those will likely help others.

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
                        AskMrScience Level 1

I just Google'd the topic, and it looks like the vst directory can indeed be relocated in Cubase - under the "Devices" menu where I wouldn't have thought to look.  That's what I get for reading the manual!  Will try moving it to the desktop when I get home.

• 9. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news. I could have sworn that there was a setting for that, but would never in my life have been able to recall where. Good work, and good luck.

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
                            AskMrScience Level 1

Success!

I moved the Vstplugins to the desktop, and reconfigured Cubase.  Recognizing that this isn't a Steinberg forum (the discussions really get heated there), I'll still post the details.

In Cubase (version 5 anyway), Devices -> Plug-in Information -> VST 2.x plug-in paths, from where you can specify the new location as the shared folder.  Everything still seems to work, and only one VSTi had to be reinstalled.  PE8 is completely blind to the new directory.  I can even run Cubase and PE8 simultaneously!

Thanks for the help and hints, Bill.  Couldn't have done it without you.

• 11. Re: PE 9 and Cubase
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, you have provided some tips for others, and I have learned something in the process. You did the heavy lifting.

Good luck and thank you,

Hunt