2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2006 12:35 PM by Jorge_Juan

Running FDS as a true service

Vision Airlines
      I have FDS installed on Windows Server 2003. It runs fine as long as I'm logged in, but the server seems to shut down when I log off. I don't want to leave the server logged into an account all the time. This introduces a lot of security concerns. Is there a way to set it up as a true service so that it will continue to run without an account logged in?
        • 1. Re: Running FDS as a true service
          Level 7
          Hello:
          It really depends on the J2EE server you are using. FDS runs under a web
          application on that particular server, so let us know what you are using.

Jorge Hernandez
          Flex QA Engineer

"VoodooPuppy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ecqb2u$ahv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have FDS installed on Windows Server 2003. It runs fine as long as I'm
          >logged
          > in, but the server seems to shut down when I log off. I don't want to
          > leave the
          > server logged into an account all the time. This introduces a lot of
          > security
          > concerns. Is there a way to set it up as a true service so that it will
          > continue to run without an account logged in?
          >

• 2. Re: Running FDS as a true service
            Jorge_Juan
            For example, with the embedded JRun j2ee server that installs with Flex (which is a convenience, not a requirement), use the jrunsvc command to install as a windows service: see http://livedocs.macromedia.com/jrun/4/Installing_JRun/install5.htm.

Once you have done that, set the following property in the {app_name}\WEB-INF\flex\flex-config.xml for the specific Flex app(s) that will be running on a headless server (which could be your case):

<!--
            When headless-server is true, the system property java.awt.headless will be set to true.
            This should be used with JDK 1.4+ on servers without graphics cards and
            monitors. Otherwise, the property is not set.
            -->
            <headless-server>true</headless-server>