12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2010 8:13 AM by Todd_Kopriva

After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.

Shlitzohr Level 1

Heyho community,
      one thing up front... my english is not the best, so please be patient if i dont understand everything straightaway.
      my macbook is just a few weeks old, means i am a noob to mac osx.
      i recently installed the adobe creative suite and photoshop, illustator  and flash are working fine. but after effects and premiere wont start. i  sse the starting window and then it breaks.
      i guess that it has somwthing to do with admin rights, something like that i have read in some other forums.
      my main account is admin and maybe i have to start the programs with root rights, but i dont have any idea how to do this.
      anyway... if i am completly wrong with that admin-guess, tell me.

Another Thing that may help you finding some ideas for solving the problem.
      if i directly start after effects in terminal, it shows inside terminal this error message:

error for object 0x122a2c1b0: pointer being freed was not allocated

And another thing... if i start the mac in save mode i can run both  programs, but if i try it in normal mode againt they dont work.

Any  suggestions?

Regards from germany

• 1. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you are the only user on the machine, then effectively you are the admin (or in Mac terms the "User can Manage this Computer" guy), but there may be issues on the file level. I recommend as a start you run OnyX or OSX' own disk utility and let it check your drive status and repair permissions, if necessary. Since you say the programs start up to a certain point, it would help to know the last status message on the splash screen. Since both apps crash, I suspect it relates to MediaCore and you either having one of the aforementioned permission problems on the Media Cache folder, the Dynamic Link manager not launching or a third-party CoDec interfering - whichever comes first. Also look into trashing the prefs and all that. Some more generic info on installs and directories can be found here, here and here.

Beste Grüße

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
            Shlitzohr Level 1

Thanks for so far Meillenium, nut your tips didnt work, i checked the disk permissions, changed the read&write rights of aftereffects to my account, how its explained in one of your links. But nothing changed, after effects still crashes while "Initialiesiere Media Core" and Premiere is painting the interface, but when i klick anything, it crashes.

Auch an dich beste Grüße

• 3. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What MacBook is it exactly? Depending on which model, there may be limitations on how MediaCore enables hardware acceleration features and that may cause a crash. Also make sure, you run at the native screen resolution. As a last thing, have a look at your Quicktime install and configuration. All video editing tools require the conventional QT 7 to be installed, not just QT X...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
                Shlitzohr Level 1

Its a MacBook Pro 17" with i7 and 8 GB DDR3 (Mid. 2010)... anymore information needed`?

Native Screen solution should be maximum, isnt it?

i gonna try to reinstal QT,

thanks for now, i will post what it changed in a few minutes

• 5. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
                  Shlitzohr Level 1

Seems like it isnt possible to reinstall Quicktime in Mac OSX, i cant install QT7 because QTX is installed. Uninstalling QTX isnt possible too, so what do i have to do?

• 6. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> i cant install QT7 because QTX is installed

That's not true. Many people have QuickTime 7.6.x and QuickTime X installed.

Don't let the name fool you. QuickTime 7 and QuickTime X are not different versions of the same software. QuickTime 7 is a multimedia platform with lots of useful features (including a player). QuickTime X is mostly just a player for a very small number of formats.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
                      Shlitzohr Level 1

so now i have installed both, 7 and X, but it still crashes.

any other suggestions?

thank you for so far

• 8. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
                        yenaphe Level 4

Do you have installed any 3rd party plugins by any chance ?

• 9. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
                          Shlitzohr Level 1

do you mean after effects plug ins or codecs?

i have installed vlc media player, but that its. nothing als like trapcode or whatever.

• 10. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
                            Shlitzohr Level 1

I have reinstalled everything now, then running the cleanscript and repairung rights with the intsall dvd. now it still wont work. maybe this changelog out of the terminal will help you:

Last login: Sat Sep 25 00:43:32 on ttys000
                            /Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS5/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/After\ Effects ; exit;
                            ******************************Mac Book ProApplications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS5/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/After\ Effects ; exit;
                            <4431105056> <AppVers> <5> App Version =     10.0.0x458 release

<4431105056> <AppDirs> <5> App Dir =         /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS5/Adobe After Effects CS5.app/Contents

<4431105056> <AppDirs> <5> Executable Dir =     /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS5/Adobe After Effects CS5.app/Contents/MacOS

<4431105056> <AppDirs> <5> Resources Dir =     /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS5/Adobe After Effects CS5.app/Contents/Resources

<4431105056> <AppDirs> <5> Package Dir =     /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS5

<4431105056> <AppDirs> <5> Plugin Dir =     /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS5/Plug-ins

<4431105056> <AppDirs> <5> Required Dir =     /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS5/Adobe After Effects CS5.app/Contents/Required

Texture memory: 0
                            Vendor string:    NVIDIA Corporation
                            Renderer string:  NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine
                            Version string:   2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.18

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...
                            OpenGL Version 2.0
                            Has NPOT support: TRUE
                            Has Framebuffer Obeject Extension support: TRUE
                            Completed shader test!
                            Return code: 7
                            <4431105056> <ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry> <0> Unable to obtain the User 'Language' registry key at: Software\Adobe\After Effects\10.0\ Defaulting to 'en_US'.

<4431105056> <DynamicLink> <5> Attempting to launch dynamiclinkManager

<4431105056> <DynamicLink> <5> /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/dynamiclink/CS5/dynamiclinkmanager.app

After Effects(3744,0x1081d4c20) malloc: *** error for object 0x128f7f1b0: pointer being freed was not allocated
                            *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
                            Abort trap
                            logout

[Prozess beendet]

• 11. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
                              Shlitzohr Level 1

Well now i am shure that somehting about the privilegs of my normal admin account is strange. i can run after effects from a root accoutn as well as from a guest account. Just from my normal admin account it wont work. i have booted from install dvd and run the repair tool for privilegs, but nothing changed. i hate it.

• 12. Re: After Effects and Premiere dont start on a new Mac.
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Perhaps you're running something in your usual admin account that isn't running when you run as guest or root. See this page:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html