1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 8:29 PM by Jvasey354

help needed in exporting a ProRes 422 clip out of CS5 AE

Jvasey354 Level 1

First, I have very limited skills in AE, but I just used it to rescue a scene from a high profile interview.  The subject had taken a sip of water that left a incredibly shiny reflective spot over is mouth and I was able to use the clone tool and paint over the affected frames.  I could probably have used the Motion Tracking tool and a mask...but I've probably learned the hard way. 

So here's my question...

This project started in Final Cut Pro.  The footage is 1080p 29.97 ProRes 422.   I duplicated the affected ProRes clip (about one minute) and started an AE project with it.  The clip resides as a layer in the composition.   The clone tool changes that I made are recorded in the Effects tab that is now part of the dropdown menu in the clip.   Although I probably should have done this on an adjustment layer (so it's non-destructive), but will make a note for next time.

I have reviewed the clip in AE frame by frame and the results appear to be great.

The question is...how do I get my corrected ProRes clip out of AE so I can use it in Final Cut?   Is the way that I did this did I end up baking in these changes to existing ProRes 422 clip and I don't have to render it, etc.?

Or do i have to go in to the AE project and toggle something within the composition, highest quality, collapse something...and then possibly do a render output?   I want to end up with how it began...ProRes 422.

Any detailed advice would be extremely helpful so I can preserve the high quality work I've done in AE!

Thanks, John

• 1. Re: help needed in exporting a ProRes 422 clip out of CS5 AE
          Jvasey354 Level 1

Well, I answered my own question.  Rendered out the clip with the lowless animation codec Quicktime movie.  Then used Apple's Compressor to convert it back to ProRes 422.  Brought it back into FCP and it looked great.   You can't tell any repair work has been done on the image.  

I would have used Adobe's Media Encoder to convert it to ProRes, but from tests I've done previously, and in fact did a thread on it in Premiere's forum about one month ago, the Media encoder tends to slightly soften a ProRes image.  And this is something I've reported back to Adobe...along with a chroma tearing issue as it encodes back to ProRes.  Hopefully there will be a patch to correct this behavior.