1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2012 9:28 AM by Sam Houraille

PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies

ABC_Digital Level 1

I just downloaded the trial, then purchase files (yeah, I know they're supposed to be the same).  Installed twice, both times failed at this point (below).  PE then rolls back so that only the unzipped files are available.  I then tried to run the setup.exe as administrator (as I did with the install) and got the same error message.

I have PE8 installed without any problems (also CS5 Web Premium installed, no problem).

HP Elite HPE 190t, Core I7  X 980, 24 GB ram, 1.26TB free on C: drive, Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

Help!Error_msg.jpg

• 1. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is brand new software and few of us have any experience with these kinds of problems.

I recommend you contact Adobe Tech Support by clicking on the Contact button at the top of this forum.

• 2. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a general Adobe installation CHECKLIST, but it sounds like you have been doing almost everything perfectly already.

I assume that you have also turned OFF all anti-virus, pop-up blocking and spysweeping software.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
              ABC_Digital Level 1

Thank you, Steve.  Immediately after creating this post, I called Adobe Support and spent the last 1½ hours on the phone.  The tech was very helpful, but I'm afraid all we accomplished was to cripple my PE 8 installation.  After cleaning out the temp files and changing permissions on the temp files, PE 9 failed at the same place as before each time.  <sigh>  It is being escalated and they will call me back.

Old saying: you can recognize the pioneers in any area - they're the ones with arrows in their chests.

So true.

ABC

• 4. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                ABC_Digital Level 1

Thank you, Bill.   I did everything except #8 on your list.  I'll have to run out for the incense.  This is NJ, so it will have to be Industrial Strength Incense.

• 5. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You know, I find # 8 to often be the most important...

I figured that you had done all the regular things, but just wanted to check.

Dang, and sorry that it's not installing for you. Wish that I could offer more help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                    Ankush Ved Level 4

Please attach the below log file in this forum thread, so that we can look at why the components are failing:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\Elements STI Installer 1.0 <Date of failure>.log.gz

Hopefully, with the log files, we shall be able to debug the issue  and get you out of the trouble. We apologize for the inconviences  caused.

Regards,

Ankush

• 7. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                      dgwyn

I'm having the same issue. Attached is my latest log file.

Well, on second thought, it's not attached, as there isn't any place to attach a file...

• 8. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                        nealeh Level 5

Adobe removed the file attachment feature because of abuse (presumably malware infected uploads). These methods work:

• copy and paste the log file contents.
                        • put it on a free filesharing site and include a link here.
                        • append the extension .jpg to your file, upload it as a picture and request the downloader to remove the .jpg extension when they download it.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                          dgwyn Level 1

Thanks for the advice. Here's a link to the fine:

http://rapidshare.com/files/420550203/Elements_STI_Installer_1.0_09-21-2010.log.gz

Message was edited by: dgwyn

• 10. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                            Ankush Ved Level 4

As far as I am concerned while replying to your response, I am seeing a Attach Files tab in the bottom and am able to attach a screenshot of the same, please refer and use the same to attach your log file.

If due to some reason that isnt working, then please share it some other way and pass on the link to me, we need that log file to debug the issue further.

Regards,

Ankush

• 11. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                              Ankush Ved Level 4

Hi,

Can you please try one thing, I see that the setup files and folder is placed at the below location:

C:\Users\David and Andrea\Desktop\Adobe Photoshop Elements 9\PSE 9\

Can you please "cut" it from this location and "paste" it at some other location like

C:\PSE9\

and then try to install again. Please keep me informed.

Regards,

Ankush

• 12. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                dgwyn Level 1

The attach button is only available for Adobe employees, not us outsiders.

• 13. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                  ABC_Digital Level 1

http://www.abc-digital-art.com/Trailer/Elements%20STI%20Installer%201.0%2009-22-2010.log.g z

Here's my log file after innumerable failed attempts to install.  I've also uninstalled the previously working PE8 and cleaned the registry of all references to PE 8 or 9.  Still fails at same point.

Thanks.

• 14. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                    Ankush Ved Level 4

Please quit Adobe Bridge CS5 and other Adobe application before starting PRE 9 installation and let it remain closed during the installation

process and then try again. It should work this time for you..

Let me know.

Regards,

Ankush

• 15. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                      dgwyn Level 1

That worked. It is now installed and converting my previous catalog. Thank you!

• 16. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                        Ankush Ved Level 4

I am glad that I was able to help you..

Regards,

Ankush

• 17. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                          ABC_Digital Level 1

How 'bout me?  (The original poster.)  I've now posted my log file.  I didn't have anything running when I tried to install PE9.

Thanks.

• 18. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                            Ankush Ved Level 4

Was waiting for your reply.

When I look inside the log file it says installation failed because

ERROR: Following Conflicting processes were running -   block:Adobe Bridge CS5 (Bridge.exe)

So it might be that the .exe was indeed running inside your Task Manager.

Please open the Task Manager, make sure that no Adobe processes are running, place the installer files at a location like C:\PRE 9\ and it should work fine. Let me know...

Regards,

Ankush

1 person found this helpful
                                            • 19. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                              ABC_Digital Level 1

Hooray!  Yup, that was the problem.  Once I re-read your advice to the previous poster, I got to thinking that maybe Bridge was running in the background.  Sure enough, it was.  I closed it and tried the install and it worked fine.

Thank you, Ankush! 

I guess you can close the case # 181804326 that was opened yesterday with this problem.

ABC

• 20. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ankush,

Thank you for stopping by this thread. While we mere users do a pretty fair job at helping others, when it gets to installation issues, most of us have zero experience with that. I learned something new to ask about, should I encounter others with this same problem. I will also update the "Installation Checklist" article to reflect your suggestions.

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt

• 21. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                  laurens1976

Ok, i got this error too. What worked for me under Win 7, 64bit was to first enter "msconfig.exe" under Run, then go to Startup and deselect all adobe programs. Reboot and install PE 9 without problems, from c:\ PSE9. hope it is of any help. also had Anti Virus programs off and run as Admin.

• 22. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                    Ankush Ved Level 4

Bill, Thanks for maintaining the checklist, I will have a look at it and add some more if I can and someone amongst us will try to be more active this cycle for helping users with installation issues...

Regards,

Ankush

• 23. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Any additions that can be made, and especially if they are product-specific, would be greatly appreciated.

One of the disadvantages that we users have is that most have never had an installation issue, so all that we have to go by are reports of solutions to others' problems, and the things that have always worked for us. Any additional info would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 24. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                        swedepix

Have CS5, Lt3 and Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 8. Tried to install Elements/Premiere Elements9 and received the same error message failed to install Shared Technologies.  Spent some time with India to no help. Escalated to next level. Did uninstall the 8's, and Tech Sup. found more files then Windows 7 install/uninstall had deleted. These files were manually uninstalled. The problem still persist. 

• 25. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                          ABC_Digital Level 1

swedepix, the answer for me (the original poster) was to simply close Bridge, which was running in the background.

Adobe telephone help, unfortunately, had me deleting directories, changing permissions on folders and a multitude of other irrelevant stuff.  They didn't do too much  damage, but I did have to re-enter product codes.

ABC

• 26. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                            swedepix Level 1

How do you close Bridge?

• 27. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                              ABC_Digital Level 1

What OS are you running?  With Vista and Win7, right-click on the taskbar and bring up the "Task Manager."  Under the second tab, "Processes," you should see the image name, "Bridge.exe," or something similar.  Select it, then go to the bottom right of the window and left-click "End Process."  A warning will appear that "it might result in an unstable system.  Are you sure..."  Go ahead and left-click on "End process" again, Bridge process disappears and you can install the software without incident.

Such a simple answer, at least for me.

Good luck - it should work.

ABC

• 28. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                                swedepix Level 1

Eureka, that works! Thanks for your help. Are you working for Adobe, if not Adobe hire this guy, he knows more than the Tech Center in India.

• 29. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                                  ABC_Digital Level 1

Thank you for the kind words, swedepix, but the answer first came from Ankush Ved above in an earlier post.  I followed his advice and voila, success!

Ankush is an Adobe employee and he deserves all the credit (and a healthy raise).  I just passed along his wisdom.

And I agree completely that Tech Center should know the answer immediately.  Makes you wonder about the whole support expertise.

ABC

• 30. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies  - Credit were credit is due
                                                                    swedepix Level 1

Thank you ABC-Digital to point out from where the solution to close Bridge came from. I'm happy to learn that Adobe have on person to give the correct way since 1. Customer Service Tech People after having taken control of my computer and running around deleting I don't know what failed and escalated it to they experts  technician who called ONE (1) week later i.e today 10/25/10 and the initial call to Adobe was 10/18/10. I'm glad there there are contributor and reader in this forum, not belonging to Adobe, who in minutes not weeks can make once life less miserable If I sound facetious it's because I'm. One would think Adobe would know how their own program will interact during installation. I'm running Ps (CS5), Lt3, PSE 9 and PRE 9. Can only hope I will not have any technical problems in the future.

• 31. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                                      weelynnie

I am having the same problems as the original poster. I followed all the advice on here and still no success. I don't have, and never have had, Bridge (don't even know what it is, to be honest!) but I closed all the other Adobe programs running in the background (Reader) switched of the AV and firewall and it still rolls back at Shared Technologies. Working on Vista. Any ideas?

• 32. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies

Please try to the suggestions in the thread above.

Are you saying you do or you don't have additional Adobe software installed? If you have any pro or CS software installed, you must ensure Bridge is turned off during installation.

Also, see this FAQ to the right of the forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/734288?tstart=0

To continue this discussion, I would recommend you start a new thread instead of tagging at the end of this resolved, older thread.

• 33. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                                          swedepix Level 1

Bridge is an integrated part of CS5.It's like PSE's Organizer. Have you downloaded a trial for Photoshop CS5? Go to Task Manager go to Processes and see if you can identify any Adobe part(s) running. If so deactivate it, install PSE9. Let me know how it goes

• 34. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                                            swedepix Level 1

Thanks, it's  all taken care of.  My last note was intended as  a disapprovement of the Adobe and the non-excisting Technical Support

• 35. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                                              lorraineyoga

Ankush, Why don't you get Adobe to specifically mention in their readme file that users should end the Bridge process in the task manager? That would save us a lot of time.

• 36. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                                                Sam Houraille

Hello to all and specially to Adobe responsible.(if any)

I am more interested in photos stuff than in computers matters.

I use PE 5 since years with no problem. (+ Windows XP Pro)

I bought new camera Nikon D300s and discovered PE5 does not treat RAW photos from this new model of camera.

I bought a new computer HP with Windows 7 Pro.

I bought PE9 to be able to treat RAW NEF photos.

I tried to install PE9 and as hundreds of victims it did not work because of failure to ins tall “Shared Technologies”.

I spent hundreds of hours and hours, alone and with more expert people, to install, to remove the program, in English, in French. No way nothing works. Each time it prevents me to use computer for hours, because it installs and then rolls back automatically. It wears out my hard disk for nothing, etc………..and my nerves.

I did all what is recommended in several Forums. (and saw how many people shared this problem instead of sharing technologies!)

I run as Administrator,

I extract any archived downloaded files

i installed to C:\ instead of Adobe

I turned off all AV, pop-up blockers, spy-sweeping software

i turned off all firewalls, and lower the security settings

I have plenty of free space on your C:\, and 6 GB RAM

I checked your OS's language and keyboard language against the language I use. I did it in French and in English.

I burned incense and blow the smoke towards San Jose, CA, USA as recommended by Bill

I installed “adobe support Advisor .exe”

All except remove Bridge from Task Manager because I did not have this program running.

And each time the same mess!!!

So far I am quite pissed off of this comedy, this lost of time and nerve. I do not understand why Adobe does not release something clear, applicable easily for all customers. I am NOT ready to buy any other Adobe product. This is a real anti commercial approach.

The solution must come from Adobe who sold this software, and NOT from poor users who suffer of this bug.

Voila I find all this unacceptable and I let it know.

I just spent 103 Euros for nothing.

Thank you ADOBE for taking care of Clients so carefully.

Any help is welcome because I have a lot of RAW pictures to treat.

Best regards with a huge disappointment.

Sam

• 37. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                                                  nealeh Level 5

Did you install the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw ?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

There is also a specific forum for camera raw that may be able to help you:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/cameraraw

Cheers,
                                                                                  --
                                                                                  Neale
                                                                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 38. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies
                                                                                    Sam Houraille Level 1

Dear Neale

I guess you work for Adobe?

I have no problem to try this and i will.

But i do not think the problem is with RAW, i just do not know as i never

succeed to install PE9.

Coming back to my claim:  why Adobe does not issue an update or something

like this for all people complaining because they have been cheated w/ o

even any kind of apologizes from Adobe.

We did not do anything wrong, it is Adobe problem, Adobe responsibility to

correct their mistake.

When Toyota suspects to have a potential problem with brakes of a specific

model of car, they just call back those cars, they remedy and finish. For

free.

In present case, ADOBE is doing nothing efficient, try this, try that, try

this again..

I am loosing time.

I suggest you take your product back and you reimburse me.

And I suggest every body to do the same and to let it know as wide as

possible!

I have nothing against you, but against Adobe Cie yes i do !!

Cheer.

Sam

• 39. Re: PE 9 fails at Shared Technologies

None of us work for Adobe, Sam. We are just fellow program users helping other users.

If you want to contact Adobe, you should click the Contact Adobe link at the bottom of any page on this web site.

Thanks!

1 2 Previous Next