6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 8:36 PM by Riki3D

Exporting AVI with MP3 Audio

Riki3D

Are there any plans to allow mp3 audio to be exported with avi files?

This has baffled me for the last 10 years of using premiere. I can understand 10 years ago with the whole mp3 craze and everyone worried it would kill the music industry, but times have changed drastically since then. Im probably dead wrong about why this was never supported but hopefully someone can clear this up for me.

This would be an awesome feature because being forced to use PCM bloats the filesize considerably. Perhaps I should also post this in the AME forum?

• 1. Re: Exporting AVI with MP3 Audio
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Even a PCM audio stream is tiny in comparison to the video stream generated by most codecs (DV, for example). What codec do you specifically want to put in an AVI container and how are you planning on using the AVI? Is this for distribution of some sort, like Xvid or something of that nature? If so, you won't ever see that option in Premiere; you'll have to export an intermediate and encode elsewhere, or encode the video and audio streams separately and mux them together in a third-party application.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting AVI with MP3 Audio
            Riki3D Level 1

Thanks for the fast response.

Using 3rd party encoders has been the solution for a long time, but it always seemed so unnecessary since Premiere currently can export mp3 just fine.

As for why, there are a few reasons and I would hate to throw my user-case out here and then have everyone tell me (thats not what premiere was designed for) or something, but I will give my situation in short. Ive posted about this in other places but I export to techsmith avi for screencasts and yes I end up converting it to h264 anyway but I also keep the original export for archival purposes and I always use the avi to transcode. Right now I use something like virtual dub to change the audio without having to re-export the video and it works but its still a bit time consuming. The reason I want mp3 instead of PCM is simply due to fiesize. I can get away with 128kbps mp3 file just fine and end up saving tons of archival disc space.

Having said all that, Im sure there could be plenty of other use cases and hopefully an engineer will read this and say, "That would be very easy to implement and expand peoples options".

• 3. Re: Exporting AVI with MP3 Audio
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I see; thank you for explaining.

It's not going to save a lot of steps (I understand you're looking for a single-button approach), but why not export your video and audio as two separate files, and mux them in VDub or something similar? Just export an AVI with the Techsmith codec (I'm guessing this working from Premiere...?) and uncheck the Encode Audio option. Send this to the AME queue, and duplicate the item, then change the output setting to MP3. You'll have two files which you can bring into VDub or another muxer, and assemble them there.

Again, I know this isn't giving you what you're after directly from Premiere, but it might save a bit of finagling.

• 4. Re: Exporting AVI with MP3 Audio
                Riki3D Level 1

Thanks for the ideas on how to improve the workflow. I like your idea and may try it but It probably wont save much.

Maybe someone from adobe will read this and implement the feature. You never know!!

• 5. Re: Exporting AVI with MP3 Audio
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  Thanks for the ideas on how to improve the workflow. I like your idea and may try it but It probably wont save much.

Just tested this; seems to work fine. I don't have Techsmith, but I exported a video-only DV AVI, the audio as MP3, and brought them both into VirtualDub. Set both to Direct Stream Copy and saved as a new AVI; only too a few seconds and I had a DV AVI with MP3 audio.

Maybe someone from adobe will read this and implement the feature. You never know!!

I won't say they won't implement it, but you'll be better served talking to them here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 6. Re: Exporting AVI with MP3 Audio
                    Riki3D Level 1

Submitted, thanks!

A faster way might be to export the avi with PCM and them use VD to batch the whole folder and convert the PCM to MP3 but leave the video alone. This is what I currently do but its just another step in a pipeline.